Jeep in 2wd did terrible in the snow. Lol Experiences? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 01-30-2017, 02:05 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I thought my KO2's were excellent here in NC with the last snow/ice storm. No, I didn't leave 4WD until the roads were clear but I had great traction and pulled several people out of ditches.

I was pleasantly surprised.
With respect to this particular issue, the difference between a JK and OP's TJ will be material.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I thought my KO2's were excellent here in NC with the last snow/ice storm. No, I didn't leave 4WD until the roads were clear but I had great traction and pulled several people out of ditches.

I was pleasantly surprised.
KO2s are winter rated.

BTW my preference has always been to kick into 4WD as soon as I'm on slippery snow, NOT wait thill things get tuff. Having both axles keeps it much more directionally stable, especially around turns.

Not every one agrees with this but I've found it to be a good benefit.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #18 of 30 Old 02-04-2017, 03:22 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't like how the Jeep stops on slick roads when locked into 4wd, so the only time I lock in is when taking off from a stop if the roads are slick or before going up a hill. The Jeep also likes to understeer in 4wd if you hit a slick spot and understeer sucks.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

post #19 of 30 Old 02-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I don't like how the Jeep stops on slick roads when locked into 4wd, so the only time I lock in is when taking off from a stop if the roads are slick or before going up a hill. The Jeep also likes to understeer in 4wd if you hit a slick spot and understeer sucks.
I'm having a problem understanding the physics of why being locked in 4wd would effect braking? The brakes should be strong enough to overcome any drive line force?

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #20 of 30 Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 AM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The front and rear axles are locked together in 4wd, for example if you lock a front tire the rear tires also lock up because of the transfer case. I don't have ABS and frequently lock a tire in the last couple feet of a stop when on snow, in 2wd this is not a problem because the Jeep stays straight, in 4wd the rear end likes to go to one side and since you are locking tires with the transfer case the whole Jeep kind of bucks.

In 4wd you basically remove the proportioning valve from the brake system, this means that the front and rear axle has the same braking force, it is just not a good way to stop a vehicle. Off road it does not bother me because I never go fast but on road it is not very stable with anything but minor braking. Even on dry roads (gasp I know) in 4wd the Jeep is unstable under moderate braking.

If the roads are really bad (unplowed) I will keep it locked into 4wd and reach down to put it into 2wd before coming to a stop for intersections, but if I can drive in 2wd it is easier not to have to worry about messing with the transfer case before stops.

post #21 of 30 Old 02-05-2017, 05:29 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I can't remember how long it's been since I had a 4x4 without ABS and it sounds like that amplifies an effect that is negligible on models so equipped.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #22 of 30 Old 02-05-2017, 01:45 PM
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No problems with 2wd in the snow except for 1 time. Couple of years ago I had swapped the D35 for a D44 and life got in the way of getting the D30 changed out. I pulled the front DS and had 245/75 R16 blizzaks on ZJ 16 inch wheels. I have a Trutrak in the rear. I live in the mountains NW of Denver co at 8200 feet and do 5% to 7% grades every day. The only time I got stuck was in my driveway with about 12 inches of snow and it high centered. Ran a chain to the Ram and pulled it the rest of the way up to the house. Even now I usually only use 4WD when there is ice (again my driveway) This year is bad because we have had a number of days above freezing and below at night. Only time it gets squierlly is on ice.

Laddie Hanus

2009 JKU Rubicon
97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep) 4.7 HO rebuilt 9/2016
post #23 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 AM
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

why would anyone in a 4x4 vehicle "especially a jeep" drive around, in the snow in 2wd is beyond me. this is what it is made for. do you wheel in 2wd also? not trying to be a pita but i hear this alot and it makes no sense. its been snowing alot lately here, if the roads are covered i pull it back and forget about it, its alot safer than putting around in 2wd hitting snow or ice packed roads that want to pull you side to side and fighting it.
post #24 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
why would anyone in a 4x4 vehicle "especially a jeep" drive around, in the snow in 2wd is beyond me. this is what it is made for. do you wheel in 2wd also? not trying to be a pita but i hear this alot and it makes no sense. its been snowing alot lately here, if the roads are covered i pull it back and forget about it, its alot safer than putting around in 2wd hitting snow or ice packed roads that want to pull you side to side and fighting it.
1) When in 4wd the brakes act funny, see a post or two above yours. I don't like this.
2) The front driveshaft on a YJ is not balanced and vibrates above about 25mph. I don't like this.
3) Making 90* turns, especially right hand turns at intersections, in 4wd will cause the Jeep to understeer severely if you are on the gas at all or engine braking. I don't like this.
4) 4wd is no safer than 2wd when driving on the road, the most dangerous part of snow driving is stopping and 4wd does not help with that at all.
5) My Goodyear Duratracs (snow tires) get good traction in the snow making 2wd sufficient to drive in.

The only time 4wd is useful on a snow covered road is when you are driving up a hill or trying to accelerate. I will throw it into 4wd on the fly if I see a hill coming up or at stop lights when I am stopped. I have also never had the Jeep pulled to the side because of a snow or ice covered road. If there is several inches of powder on the road I will put it in 4wd because it takes less power to drive through it, like in the attached photo, but on a plowed road 4wd does not do anything useful unless you are trying to accelerate.

If my Jeep had a balanced front drive shaft and there was an option to put it into AWD like on the XJ's NP242 that would be my go to for snow.

Yes I wheel in 4wd because when I wheel I never go over about 10mph, which means I don't notice the braking issue, the driveshaft does not vibrate, and you won't understeer. Besides with a manual transmission I am usually in 4low when wheeling so I don't have to ride the clutch the whole time and can keep the RPM's up.
Attached Thumbnails
FOT14D6.jpg  

post #25 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 02:53 PM
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

so what you are saying is your yj isn't capable of handling a snow covered road in 4x4 because "you dont like this" and its easier to drive around in 2wd than 4wd, correct? understeer? stop driving to fast, braking? stop driving to fast, vibrations? fix your jeep.
post #26 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so what you are saying is your yj isn't capable of handling a snow covered road in 4x4 because "you dont like this" and its easier to drive around in 2wd than 4wd, correct? understeer? stop driving to fast, braking? stop driving to fast, vibrations? fix your jeep.
No what I a saying is my YJ is capable enough of handling snow in 2wd and I don't need to deal with the downsides of 4wd, if I had an AWD option I would use it in the snow. If your Jeep is unsafe to drive in 2wd you might want to look into some better tires or a lighter right foot.

Understeer has nothing to do with speed, in 4wd the front and rear are locked together. When you make a corner something has to slip. In my Jeep this causes understeer around sharp corners, even when taking off from a stop the Jeep will push like crazy when making a sharp turn unless you play with the gas pedal.

Braking again has nothing to do with speed, the front and rear are locked together. This removes the proportioning valve from the braking system, that makes the Jeep unstable under braking. Also if you happen to lock a tire, not uncommon without ABS in the snow, since the front and rear are locked together the diffs and transfer case don't like this making the Jeep do weird things since both driveshafts have to spin at the same speed.

Vibrations, nothing wrong with my Jeep. The YJ has a central axle disconnect (CAD) on the passenger side front axle shaft. In 2wd this decouples and makes it so the front driveshaft does not spin, because of this Chrysler did not bother to balance the front driveshaft on the YJ. An unbalanced driveshaft will cause vibrations. In your Jeep the front driveshaft is always spinning, even in 2wd, this means it had to be balanced at the factory to prevent vibration. I don't see the point of balancing a front driveshaft that only spins in 4wd, if you can safely drive fast enough to make the shaft vibrate you don't need to be in 4wd.

post #27 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 04:19 PM
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

LOL, well its snowing again, better go remove my front driveline so i can get home from work safely.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL, well its snowing again, better go remove my front driveline so i can get home from work safely.
Serious question. If a vehicle does fine in 2wd what is the benefit of putting it into 4wd? If you were to drive down a gravel road would you put the Jeep in 4wd? Do you put the Jeep in 4wd when it rains?

If I am on road and can't safely drive in 2wd then I will put it into 4wd, but I won't be going faster than about 20mph. Around here when it snows they plow the streets and you end up driving on hard packed snow, the only time 4wd is useful in those conditions is when accelerating or driving up hill. I don't refuse to use it, just 95% of the time when driving on road in the snow 4wd is not needed. Even when offroad if I come to a part of the trail that is easy I will put it in 2wd, shifting between 2wd and 4wd is not hard to do. Just like when I park on a really steep hill I will throw it into 4low and leave it in gear with the parking brake set, even if I drove there in 2wd. 4wd is a tool, if it does not make life easier there is no point to use it.

Keep in mind weight and weight distribution have a large impact on how vehicles handle, my Jeep is 3200lbs with a full tank of gas and me in it, your Jeep is at least 600lbs heavier than that empty. I also don't know what kind of tires are on your Jeep, it is completely reasonable that what my Jeep can do in 2wd yours could not and vice versa.

It is your Jeep drive it how you want, but I don't see the benefit of removing the front driveline to get home, just put the transfer case in 2wd and you accomplish the same thing with a lot less work.

post #29 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

The benefit is better tracking pretty much anytime power is being applied. Was true in all the ones I've owned with or without ABS.

It's not a miracle worker, but it can mean the difference between a straight line and a ditch.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #30 of 30 Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

im just giving you a hard time baritone, everyone drives different, just saying its a heck of a lot easier to just drive in 4x4 like it was meant to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.