Ipod AUX port while keeping a stock Radio setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Ipod AUX port while keeping a stock Radio setup

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
HarperToad
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ipod AUX port while keeping a stock Radio setup

Need some opinions people. The link attached is what I am hoping will allow me to play an ipod through the radio. I do not want an aftermarket radio in my jeep. I enjoy the stock look, what worries me is from the photos and lack of an item description. Would this product be able to change to AUX to be able to play the ipod. I have looked into the different options but I do not want to have the radio AM/FM portable device where you search to a radio station that is not being used. Your fighting a constant battle to find a non used radio station.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Jee...d07ed8&vxp=mtr

HarperToad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look in the lower left corner at the 1/8" input. You can plug anything you want into that, but it won't charge.

Or, if you already have the stock head unit, there is also an older $56 adaptor (PIE CHRY02-AUX) on eBay that plugs into the CD changer port. The seller lets you choose between iPod, aux, or Zune rca cables. You have to tap the iPod cable into a power source if you want it to charge while playing. I routed the cable to come out the lower left of the glove box.

The only issue is that the iPod cable is the older FireWire style. It needs a crossover adaptor for the newer models to work. I added a dock extender cable to the crossover to keep the bulkiness hidden behind the dashboard.

In the end, this is only a little less expensive than the head unit you linked to, but you only have one cable for the iPod rather than two if you want to charge it.
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

slightly different, but this is seems to be about the same as what I bought. Same price too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Scoshe PassPort. For newer USB charged iPods/iPhones, buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iPod dock extension cable. To hide the added bulk of the PassPort behind the dashboard, buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Black...10E4EDZ1QJF6JE

Head Unit CD changer input>>>Aux Input RCA Adaptor w/ iPod cable>>>Scosche PassPort>>>Dock Extender>>>iPod
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Chrysler Pie Aux Adapter with RCA outputs on the stock radio for my 2006 which plugged into the CD Changer port in the back of the radio. Easy install and works/sounds great when I want to listen to my ipod.

Personally, I'd buy the cheapest aux adapter like I did and be done with it. In my opinion, the sound quality and performance of the stock headunit even with aftermarket speakers leaves a lot to be desired at times whether playing a CD or using an ipod.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
HarperToad
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I do understand that the AUX input in the lower left hand corner should allow me to play an ipod through that radio, but from the photo and lack of information about the product on Ebay. What worries me about purchasing it, is does this device have the capability to change to AUX????
HarperToad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It does have a "mode" button. On mine, this is what switches between radio, CD, changer (now iPod on mine). I would like to assume this head unit has the fourth option of AUX. Other vehicles I have been in work this way.

Ask the seller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.