installing winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > installing winch

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-15-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
mikefreedy
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bel air, maryland
Posts: 91
installing winch

So I purchased a winch for my ****tybilt xrc tj bumper and the frame is so far under it I can't get a ratchet in there to send the bolts up. And ideas?

mikefreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefreedy View Post
So I purchased a winch for my ****tybilt xrc tj bumper and the frame is so far under it I can't get a ratchet in there to send the bolts up. And ideas?
Remove bumper from jeep. Mount winch on bumper. Remount combined bumper/winch.
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
mikefreedy
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bel air, maryland
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Remove bumper from jeep. Mount winch on bumper. Remount combined bumper/winch.
The bumper took almost 4 hours to install. It's not coming off. Any other thoughts
mikefreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefreedy View Post

The bumper took almost 4 hours to install. It's not coming off. Any other thoughts
Let's put it this way. Think about the forces on that winch and it's mounts when you are doing a hard pull. Making sure the mounts are strong enough and secure is a big safety issue. Doing something half assed because you don't want to spend the time is a bad idea.

I know nothing about that bumper, but 4 hours seems crazy by the way. Most bumpers I've seen would be maybe 30 minutes tops, in particular any time after the initial install (when your figuring it out and dealing with any unforseen snags).
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
mikefreedy
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bel air, maryland
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Let's put it this way. Think about the forces on that winch and it's mounts when you are doing a hard pull. Making sure the mounts are strong enough and secure is a big safety issue. Doing something half assed because you don't want to spend the time is a bad idea.

I know nothing about that bumper, but 4 hours seems crazy by the way. Most bumpers I've seen would be maybe 30 minutes tops, in particular any time after the initial install (when your figuring it out and dealing with any unforseen snags).
We had to heat and bend wrenches because of the little space that they leave you can't fit a ratchet anywhere
mikefreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefreedy View Post

We had to heat and bend wrenches because of the little space that they leave you can't fit a ratchet anywhere
Sounds like you needed a stubby open end or a crow foot wrench. A few bucks on the right tools can make all the difference in a job.
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
frenchy206
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,386
You need to get new tools. When I installed my bumper, it took less than a half hour. It does get tight in there. That's why God made these.

images.jpeg
__________________
03 TJ Rubicon
frenchy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,437
two way tape, some JB weld, a few zip ties and duct tape should hold it..
__________________
[URL=http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com[/URL]
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denton County, TX
Posts: 5,392
OP, if you had started the bumper removal when you started this thread you be through by now with the wench installed.
__________________
jhanna
denton county, tx
2jhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
mikefreedy
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bel air, maryland
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
You need to get new tools. When I installed my bumper, it took less than a half hour. It does get tight in there. That's why God made these.
Cool thanks ill go snag one of those
mikefreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
bogleparsons
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,801
That's why I hate recessed winch mounts.

I want my winch on top of the damn bumper so if I have a problem I can diagnose it easily.
__________________
If it's not supposed to move and does use duct tape.
If it's supposed to move and doesn't use WD40
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
mikefreedy
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bel air, maryland
Posts: 91
I agree
mikefreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
frenchy206
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,386
The nice part of a recessed winch mount is that 1, you get less blockage of air to your radiator and 2, lowers the center of gravity.
__________________
03 TJ Rubicon
frenchy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Demp
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
The nice part of a recessed winch mount is that 1, you get less blockage of air to your radiator and 2, lowers the center of gravity.
3. can deter casual theft as well

I'd consider specialized wrenches as previously mentioned.

I have the AEV bumper I installed myself, before the winch. The AEV stuff can be a bit more complex to get on, especially since the instructions are sketchy. Once you've installed something once, removal and reinstall is a LOT faster.

3-4 hours to get it on the first time, since it has some assembly required.
4 total hours to remove it again, drill/cut pump bracket to fit the winch plate, mount winch, remount bumper.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.