Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Infamous Jeep Wave

Tags
cj jk tj wave yj
11K views 152 replies 76 participants last post by  raw_speed 
#1 ·
OK, so 10 years ago, I had a 95 YJ, and nowadays I love my 99 TJ. It's my DD and my weekend mud-toy, and the reason for probably 75% of my swear words. :rofl:

I've waved and been waved at for years, and I know about it. It's exciting to see another Jeeper with obvious pride in his/her rig out on the road. CJs wave, YJs and TJs wave, even TJ Unlimiteds and X drivers know about it. I've been conducting my own not-so-scientific experiment with the JKs, because they DON'T SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT THE WAVE.

Am I missing something? :confused:

PS I know this isn't a "technical" issue, but this is where I post and reply more than anywhere else, and the people in here seem to have more answers than elsewhere.

#6 ·
some do some dont i also have a 07 jk unlimited and it waves weather the wife or i drive it. some jk owners ar oblivious to the (jeep wave) but some do it, all depends ! my neighbor bought a 09 jk (truck ) she calls it and she said its cool that a lot of people in jeeps wave at her . and i explained it to her.

#8 ·
Agreed - The end is near

#9 ·
I moved here(lansdale pa) and did a wave test, not knowing the jeep wave. no one waved for four months. I mean no one. Back were Im from almost every person you waved at would wave back for no reason. It was sad until I got a TJ, now every jeep waves (Except JKs). Its great. I remember first jeep waved at me and I didnt wave because of shock. He then looked at me like he was going to punch me because I didnt wave back. You guys that are tired of a wave thread I get. But please dont let it die, Jk owners are bad enough.:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

#11 ·
Has anyone ever counted how many wave threads there are? I wave at all Wranglers and CJs. Never seen a pre CJ. I also wave at all modified Jeeps (XJs and ZJs usually).

#14 ·
X2 for waving at the Jeep and not the driver. Once JKS start aging a bit and the newer owners start adding parts and breaking things they'll catch on to the wave. But as long as someone else is doing the service on their jeep they'll never know. They probably call it a "car" too

#15 ·
Folks used to say the same (they never wave, they aren't real Jeeps anyway, etc...) about the TJs when they first came out. I suppose all new iterations with the word Jeep on it will suffer this malady in the initial stages of the life-cycle, and wave threads will never disappear for this reason.

#17 ·
I just got my TJ a couple weeks ago and I always wave. Aside from a few of the JK's, EVERYONE here seems to do the wave... maybe they tend to wave more because I'm a girl??? Whatever the reason, I'll take all those cute guys waving at me any day :D

#21 ·
EVERYONE here seems to do the wave... maybe they tend to wave more because I'm a girl??? Whatever the reason, I'll take all those cute guys waving at me any day :D
:wave::teehee:

#22 ·
there are two things that i've created my own jeep wave policy on.

if its a JK don't even give it a second glance, even if its modded.

if the other jeep has chrome wheels, chances are they aren't a jeeper and they are minus points on the jeep scale, thus putting you in seniority regardless of your build progress. therefore said jeeper must wave to you first, if they don't carry on and go about your day.

there are only two jeeps out of MANY in my area that are not inferior to mine, i only administer the wave to not even a handful of jeeps in this area.

#23 ·
I've been conducting my own not-so-scientific experiment with the JKs, because they DON'T SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT THE WAVE.
You might just be really ugly. Around here, I get waves from JKs all the time, especially the ones driven by cougars. They want to ride the TJ.

Hell, I even get waves from WJs, ZJs, and a decent amount of lifted, muddy pickup trucks. Must be something in the water.

#24 ·
I wave at the other Jeeps, even JKs. This past weekend, we got behind an OLD Willy's Jeep (with the spare tire mounted on the side of the passenger qtr panel of the tub) The guy and, I suppose his two kids were out for a beautiful day in the sun and in the Jeep. I followed them for a while (about 35 in a 45 since he was probably doing top speed in that thing) but when I finally waved, his family and my family exchanged BIG waves. Was really nice. I don't get the JK owners either. So unsocial.

#28 ·
Anyone else still wave when you're driving other vehicles? The jeep shares dd duty with a mustang and sometimes I forget I'm driving the stang when I see a wrangler.

I just got back from a trip to st John, usvi. While I was there I did some off-roading with a liberty. I was impressed at how well it did.

#34 ·
Jeep Wave Rules
These rules are an attempt to make it easier to facilitate the mandatory wave when coming in contact with another vehicle of the Jeep nature. Though there are several variations of the waving rules, the following were designed as an easy to remember guideline for when to wave and who should wave first.

Rule 1:
If you are a driver or passenger in a Jeep vehicle, and you come in contact with another occupied Jeep vehicle you should wave. If the other Jeep is not occupied, the wave is optional.

Rule 2:
Be the first to wave. Don't wait, just wave.

Rule 3:
Be forgiving. Sometimes the occupants of the Jeep receiving the wave are not paying attention, distracted, or are paying attention to driving. We all know how you can get lost in the euphoria of driving a Jeep and forget about the outside world.

Rule 4:
Wave vigourously. When cruising at 55mph towards a vehicle going 55mph it is sometimes difficult to see the 'over the steering wheel' wave. Get that hand out and make it seen!

Rule 5:
When you are the recipient of a wave, return the wave.

Rule 6:
Sometimes Jeep owners forget they are not in their Jeep and wave by habit. When occupants of non-Jeep vehicles wave, returning the wave is optional, but usually a good idea.

#36 ·
my policy is to never wave at TJ's

that way when the mods FINALLY get sick and tired of all the whining tj'ers and ban ALL "I didn't get a wave" threads that result from my intentional snubs my diabolical plan will be have reached fruition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.