Improving MPG... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Improving MPG...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
100% bolt in swap.
Pull the electrical plugs off the injectors, pull the rail and the injectors just pull out.
The whole thing took me maybe an hour and a half and most of that time was spend cleaning the fuel rail and injector ports.
The set I have is flow matched so all injectors flow at the same rate and put out the same amount of fuel as the factory injectors. They just get it done more efficiently.
No computer reprogramming is required.

With the increased mileage I got from this swap, the injectors will pay for themselves within 6 months, then start paying me in the form of saved fuel.

I always want to give an honest review of these, 1 of my old injectors was fouled out and leaking, 2 more were suspect. I can't claim that these injectors are 100% responsible for the mileage increase because my baseline was so messed up. That increase may have happened because they are functioning correctly now and the rail is clean.

BUT, if I were in the same boat again looking to replace injectors, I would go this route without hesitation.
I did some searching in the technical forum and there are numerous threads/opinions, which injectors did you go with if you don't mind me asking?
Also, how did you clean the fuel rail? Plain old carb cleaner or any specific technique?

Last edited by Bigshankhank; 09-12-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Additional question.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
I did some searching in the technical forum and there are numerous threads/opinions, which injectors did you go with if you don't mind me asking?
Also, how did you clean the fuel rail? Plain old carb cleaner or any specific technique?
I used these guys here:
http://www.precisionautoinjectors.co...2&categoryId=3
Great customer service and the price is good too, there is a jeepforum discount if you search for it.

I cleaned the fuel rail by soaking it in carb cleaner, shaking the debris free and rinsing it out repeatedly.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, good info. I was thinking about cleaning out my fuel rail this weekend just to see if it makes a difference. I figure after 175k miles and who knows how much ethanol-fuel there might be a little residue in there. Then if'n I get crazy I might order the injectors for SnG's.
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Cool, good info. I was thinking about cleaning out my fuel rail this weekend just to see if it makes a difference. I figure after 175k miles and who knows how much ethanol-fuel there might be a little residue in there. Then if'n I get crazy I might order the injectors for SnG's.
Good luck my friend, my rig only just rolled over 89k and I was pulling chunks out of that thing that were 1/8-3/16" dia. Like I had said, I was VERY surprised especially considering the 4 or so strainers/filters before the fuel ever gets to the rail.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ 4-cyl gets a solid 18 MPG in the summers. I always tell people to just stick to the basics: Keep it tuned up and tight (no vac leaks) and drive it like a grandma. Even with the 4-banger you would be amazed how much difference that makes. Instead of driving it so hard and letting the tune-up go sloppy.
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
Jachi101
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bigshankhank let us know it goes and if you notice any improvements
Jachi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #22
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jachi101 View Post
Bigshankhank let us know it goes and if you notice any improvements
I will assuming the weather cooperates, it is supposed to rain like hell down here the next few days.

For a baseline, I typically get between 205 - 220 miles on 14 gallons. So that works out to right around 15mpg. Which I seem to remember doing calculations showing 17mpg around town years ago, so I am hoping to get back to that mark at least.

Tags
mpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.