The "I'm an IDIOT" thread... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > The "I'm an IDIOT" thread...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #46
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

X3 I did that exact same thing except i was the news paper, i was lying right next to it, my clothes from that day still smell like motor oil. now i always undo the drain plug with one hand and the other hand ready on the pan

2010 rubicon JK
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #47
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just so people know. The easiest way to remove that metal peice that holds the rear veiw mirror to the windshield is with a hot air gun. Heat it up and it will fall right off.
My dumb moment, changing the driveshaft universals on my Chevy 1/2 ton. Got the driveshaft installed and wanted to make sure it was still balanced.
Truck was on jackstands already so I started it up, put it in gear and shut the door.
Yep you guessed it when the speedo hit 10 mph the doors locked!
I was at my parents house and had to drive home. Around 1 mile. The whole time I was going to get the spare keys I kept thinking why did I put that truck on Harbor Freight jack stands!
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #48
dagoober
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so i go to get out while i have it parked on a small hill. the parking brake dosent work worth s*** so i put it in 1st to hold it in place. as soon as i got out it popped out of gear and started rolling back. i had the great idea to stick my foot infront of the wheel to keep in from rolling away and had it slowly roll over my foot after it rolled over my foot i had the good idea to push on the steering wheel since the door was open and almost tripped and almost got run over by the front wheel. i finaly ended up chasing it down, jumped in it, and used the brake to stop it. i now keep some pieces of firewood in the back to block the wheels when its parked lol.
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
dagoober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #49
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Yep you guessed it when the speedo hit 10 mph the doors locked!
I was at my parents house and had to drive home. Around 1 mile. The whole time I was going to get the spare keys I kept thinking why did I put that truck on Harbor Freight jack stands!
Well, the way I read it, at least the "cheapo" stands did not fall down and the truck started rolling into a creek...
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #50
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ65_JK10 View Post
X3 I did that exact same thing except i was the news paper, i was lying right next to it, my clothes from that day still smell like motor oil. now i always undo the drain plug with one hand and the other hand ready on the pan
Good advice... My next oil change is coming up.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #51
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't have my regular floor jack at home one time, so I had to use the stock jack to raise the front axle. I put the shaft going from the jack to the tire iron on backwards, so the end of the shaft that has the lip wasn't on the side with the tire iron. I start turning, the tire iron slips off the shaft, rotates in my hand, and whack, straight into my nose. That was a deep cut, about a 1/4" away from my eye too.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #52
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not my idiot move by my buddies when we put my body lift on.

Read online to take off the fuel cap and disconnect the fuel filler hose from the plastic surround. So I proceed do that before we start.

I run off to the part store to get some parts and I get a phone call as I am almost home. Turns out my buddy put the fuel cap back on worried that stuff would get in the tank and proceed to lift the body of the Jeep. Unfortunately the fuel cap disagreed with his attempted and resisted the movement resulting in the top half of the fuel cap being ejected from the filler hose.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #53
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Maybe you guys noticed that I didn't mention any of my own gaffs in an earlier reply? After some thinking... I have remembered a few.

Universals. A few years ago I bought a couple of beater Jeeps. Each needed several universals. My friends at NAPA got to giving me TWO universals when ever I asked for one. I had a string of fallen/jammed needles and ruined new universals. I don't know. Never had that trouble before or since.

The biggie is this one- 4 days before Christmas, 3 years ago, our rebuilt ZJ V8 auto tranny and torque converter piled up. Off of warranty, too. The torque converter was generating cups of aluminum and you can imagine where it all wound up...

I ordered up a master rebuild kit and new torque converter. Put it on the hoist at work and pulled the beast. A friend came by and pulled the pump housing and had it torn down in under 5 minutes- I WAS IN THE CAN at the time. #@%@&&$% He said "hey- don't worry- I'll be back in a couple of days to show you how to put it together". His Dad passed away and he was gone for weeks. NO MANUALS!!

Build 1: I reassembled it by observing the wear marks on the various thrust bearings and races. Got the pump housing bolted up and it was ready to go back in. Then, while I'm cleaning up, I find a gasket that goes between the main housing and overdrive unit---- the correct one with cut outs for oil returns... I used one for the wrong application...

Build 2: I reassemble it again- surgical clean, with the gasket to lube the overdrive. Then I discover a thrust ring laying around that I missed. It went just at the giant piston for the overdrive unit. Apart it goes again. There are a lot of parts in there... WAY more than a T350...

Build 3: Took me 5 or 10 minutes from total teardown. Messy and some grit here and there...

Well- the darn thing is still going strong but I know I hate auto trannies with a passion. Who the heck ever thought up how to put all those parts in such a small little space and not have them roll and bump around like a meat grinder? I don't know but those autos are voodoo spooky.
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #54
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was putting my body lift on when a buddy came by to have a beer ..... I installed the whole pass. side and found one extra puck ...... oh well another hour and more lock tight and I was back on track ....... now I always check ......... Duh !!!!
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #55
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Installing a SYE on my brothers TJ. Got it all back together. Look over at the dish we put all the parts in and see the mode/fork spring sitting there.
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #56
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns95 View Post
So I was in the garage about an hour ago just tinkering around and realized that I hadn't replaced my broken rearview mirror with the new one I had picked up from 4wd.com. I opened the box, tried to slide it on the windshield mount and realized that it wasn't the same size mounting tab. Easy enough, I will just pop this old one off and glue the new one on to the windshield... so I thought.

Here's where the "I'm an IDIOT" part comes into play. When I pulled the old "glued on" tab off of my windshield, about a 1" round piece of my windshield came with it. I should've known better, but really didn't think twice before prying it off. So, I now have a hole in my windshield from being an idiot. Anyone else want to share some STUPID experiences?

YEah, I learned this lesson poping mirrors off at the pick and pull. Free lesson for me though.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #57
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not at all Jeep or even vehicle related but.
Lightning took out our cable box, went to the office and got another box.
Went to the store and got a surge protector that also had cable deal in it. Pretty sure the surge came through the cable because it also took out the TV in the back room. Both had regular surge protectors.
Anyway hooked it all up and had to call a number. Of course I get someone from India. Now I am hard of hearing anyway and have a problem on the phone. By the time we are done I think the person on the other line was as frustrated as I was.
Had to wait around a 1/2 hour to see if the box worked or not. Heck with that I have things to do on my day off.
Came home and no cable. Called again, got someone from Mexico this time. Understand him a little more. He tells me that they can send someone out to the house in about a week. Screw that I ask can't I just take this box back and get another? Sure that is the next option.
Get another box, hook it up and realize I did not hook the primarlly cable up.
Wife comes home, she made the call I am done.
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #58
Avernar
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi22 View Post
-Wait five hours for the fiance to get home to have a car to drive up to wal-mart to get more oil
How many people here would pour the oil back in and take a hit on another filter rather than admit to the wife/fiance/gf what a yutz they are?
Avernar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #59
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
So I decided to change the oil in my TJ after I bought a new, big used oil container after always using an open pan. The new container was large, round, and enclosed with a screw to open that would allow the oil to run in from a pan on the top of the container. I did note that the screw didn't complete screw out, but still it looked like a smart design. So who needs to put down paper around the container as I always use to do?!

I then proceeded to remove the oil drain plug, and the stream of oil comes down and precisely lands on the screw, which the top of the screw was slightly u-shaped, which created an oil fountain! I was shocked at this, and in the few seconds that it took to me react and slightly move the new oil container, I had oil all over my driveway.

I should have put down that paper...

^^ Except my pan has a little threaded plug that is removable in the center of the top 'pan'. Forgot to remove that little plug while changing the oil on my motorhome. The hot oil was almost up to the top when I figured it out My mess was in the street and say good-by to a nice pair of gloves.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #60
Squeekster1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Attempted a burnout while pissed off. dropped the clutch at 4k on 33's and 3.07's and destroyed my spider gears. Didn't even break a tire loose. "I'm an IDIOT".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.