If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #76
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
I have a TJ, and I like the fully metal grill of the TJ, and I really like the looks, fenders, and the longer suspension links of the JK. I also like the really solid feeling of the doors.
I had a 2dr JK. There is very little I liked about it. The fenders (flanders) are plastic and catch air way too much running into the wind. The front grill is sloped and plastic, the windshield is curved and too wide. The entire JK is too wide. The ABS goes nuts even with stock tires and oversize tires, never could get it to work. Brakes sucked. Traction Control could NOT be turned off. Gas mileage was horrid. Handling on the street was horrid. The engine was horrid and burned oil. I bought the thing new BTW.

TJ 2dr Rubicon. Love the metal fenders and metal grill. The windshield is properly flat and not so wide. The Jeep TJ is so much more nimble and sporty feeling and handles better when lifted. The brakes do NOT have ABS and every thing works fine with a lift and 33s. The gas mileage is better, the engine is smoother and pulls better throughout and especially down low.

The JK is frumpy, the TJ is sporty. The JK rides like a minivan, the TJ feels like a Jeep. The JK leaked badly, the TJ is remarkably dry. The Jk sheetmetal is way too thin, the TJ at least does not feel like a beer can.

My JK:

My TJ:

I notice as well that my 2 inch lifted JK would blow around in the wind and my 4 inch lifted TJ does not nearly as much. And the TJ penetrates the Kansas wind better without as much pounding, hard to describe.

I got about 16 to 17 MPG with the JK on 2.5 lift with P245X16 wheels and tires. I get 15 to nearly 17 MPG with the TJ on 4 inch lift with 33X15X12.5 ties and wheels. Same driving profile, same speeds, both had corrected speedos.

2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #77
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have owned both a 2000 TJ sport and my vehicle as of now 2013 JKUR. As far as cheaper and easier to mod, I don't see a significant difference. To put 35s on my TJ took 6" of lift compared to the 3.5" I have on my JKU roughly the same price. As far as install, I did both myself and the JKU was actually easier to do (may have had a little to do with the fact that I put it on at 600 miles compared to 40,000 on TJ). I won't speak as much about the D35 or crap gears in the TJ mainly because I bought the JKUR with D44s (not fair). People keep using the low end in the 4.0 compared to new engine. I see the difference but with 4.10 gears and a 4:1 transfer case I don't care... As far as plastic goes, who keeps the stock bumpers anyways they are all garbage, and who gives a damn about the grill it serves its purpose regardless. And for the guy who says the deer took out his plastic grill... Do you really think a metal grill will survive a decent speed shot from a 150lbs animal.

TJ
PROS
4.0L w 4.11 gears will pull front tires off ground
Small
very light
cost roughly 28K for vehicle and mods (way too many to list)

CONS
D35
Takes 1 million inch lift to fit 35s
Cannot take 4 friends with me on the trail comfortably ha

JKUR
PROS
Scares me where this thing will go (would walk the dog on my TJ)
3.5" lift easily fits 35s and will do 37s (my next step when these wear)
3.6L w 4.10 gears can pull me up to interstate speeds quickly

CONS
I feel like the windshield cracks when I look at it (not sure the difference from the tj in glass)
Breakover angle not as good (obviously from longer wheel base)
Is currenly a $38K vehicle
My satelite radio subscription just ran out

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #78
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ = Trail Jeep
JK = Just Krumbles
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #79
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennis1 View Post
Takes 1 million inch lift to fit 35s
Huh?
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #80
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Huh?
Clearly sarcasm.... It takes 6" lift to clear 35s and still be worth anything. Compared to my JKUR taking only 2.5" lift to fit 35s. If I lifted my JK 6" I could probably run 40s disregarding all the other mods it would need.

13 JKUR
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #81
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Clearly sarcasm.... It takes 6" lift to clear 35s and still be worth anything. Compared to my JKUR taking only 2.5" lift to fit 35s. If I lifted my JK 6" I could probably run 40s disregarding all the other mods it would need.
Exactly why I said 'huh.' That's a complete crock. I recommend you get out of the Quadratec magazines and look at some real builds.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #82
Lovemachine
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exactly why I said 'huh.' That's a complete crock. I recommend you get out of the Quadratec magazines and look at some real builds.
I'd like to take another look at your rig to learn how to do all that.
Lovemachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #83
sdoherty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ will always work

I have a MBS500, 03 Expedition, 92 YJ. MY YJ will always run and is easy to fix. Yes the TJ is nicer and so is the JK. But if the apocalypse comes I would rather have a simple vehicle that I can fix. Anyone know what spares I need to keep in a lead box in case an EMP happens?
sdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #84
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i don't rub my 35s and i run the RE 3.5inch with a 1 inch body. it does not take that much. So it takes 1 inch body and 1 more inch on the springs to run 35s on a TJ...
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #85
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Coming from a LJ that was a nice Jeep it had its limitations. I love everything about my JKU. The only thing I don't like which I can disable is that stupid seat belt chime but, other than that its far superior to any other Jeep model. The 4.0L was nice and all but, my 3.8L has the same power if not more and gets better gas mileage doing it and is much more smoother and has a better powerband to boot. The biggest plus is its still just as easy to work on vs the 4.0L
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #86
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Though I may not be an expert, I am now on my third Jeep build, and know enough to be dangerous. Point being it took less work to put 35s on my JKU than on my TJ (I ran 4" susp. 2" body on mine). Im sorry if I offended anyone on my comment of a million inches. It was sarcasm... But please try to argue the fact that it is easier to run 35s on a jk

13 JKUR
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #87
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea the JKU is far superior to any Jeep for sure. Technology moves forward.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #88
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That's right. 1 million inches is a just about 15.782 miles tall. No one has ever lifted their Jeep that high.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #89
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post

That's right. 1 million inches is a just about 15.782 miles tall. No one has ever lifted their Jeep that high.
Challenge accepted. :-D. First, I need to know which gears to run...still wanna use 5th on the highway.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #90
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You'll tip over....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.