If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #46
NKYJEEPSTER1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have an 06 LJ Rubicon currently. I traded in an 09 JK 4door for this. WHY???? I had a few issues with mine, from the factory. Rear windows would drop 1/4" randomly, t case shift link broke, door seals leaked, could go on. This doesn t mean I didn't like it. We loved the JK as a street driver. Mine had 2.5 inch lift with 34 Super Swampers on it. The frame hangs down way to low, so to make it great off road, you have to have 35 or 37s on it with 4 to 6 inch of lift. I was always had a difficult time mainly to the ride height. The 4 door was great ridin down the HWY.

The LJ rubi is a whole different story. 3" lift with 33s and I can get where I wanna go. I have a little issue with draggin, but I m gonna tummy tuck it and fit that.

So I like them both, just depends on what you plan on doing with it in my opinion.

NKYJEEPSTER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #47
JerseyDoug
Can I go home now?
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKYJEEPSTER1 View Post
I have an 06 LJ Rubicon currently. I traded in an 09 JK 4door for this. WHY???? I had a few issues with mine, from the factory. Rear windows would drop 1/4" randomly, t case shift link broke, door seals leaked, could go on. This doesn t mean I didn't like it. We loved the JK as a street driver. Mine had 2.5 inch lift with 34 Super Swampers on it. The frame hangs down way to low, so to make it great off road, you have to have 35 or 37s on it with 4 to 6 inch of lift. I was always had a difficult time mainly to the ride height. The 4 door was great ridin down the HWY.

The LJ rubi is a whole different story. 3" lift with 33s and I can get where I wanna go. I have a little issue with draggin, but I m gonna tummy tuck it and fit that.

So I like them both, just depends on what you plan on doing with it in my opinion.
I'm missing something here. I may be wrong (I often am), but the lowest point on any Jeep is the diff.. So, the LJ on 33s actually rides lower than the JK on 34s. I am not questioning your experience. You have owned and driven both. I have never driven a JK. I am just trying to understand. The JK can run larger tires with less lift than a TJ due to the way it is designed (high line set-up, if I understand it correctly.) Articulation is different and I admit to not fully understanding the ins and outs of that topic.
JerseyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #48
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Hmmm... I don't think I've seen ANY posts on here about people having ANYTHING go through their grill and destroying their radiator. If you hit a deer or something you've got other problems anyways, probably bent fenders and crap too. And a deer is way too big to go "through" your grill so it sure as hell won't be getting through a plastic one. It's a surface area thing.

As far as rocks or something getting through... doubtful as well... and if something does that small, you've got an AC condenser up there to protect the radiator so it's not the end of the world.

And on top of that, I'll have this protecting the front some as well soon enough:

edit:

And with your reasoning... that would mean the stock hood is awesome since it's metal, and everyone that gets highline Durham hoods or Campbell hoods have something wrong with them. Those are plastic.
Well it just depends on what you want to be surrounded with. Me? I choose METAL, and I'm not buying a plastic hood anytime soon, although the hood would be a better choice to make plastic than a grill imho.

Yeah, the stock grill on a TJ is MUCH better than the plastic grill of a JK.

Oh, and btw, I hit a dear with my plastic grilled Cadillac, and the only thing broken was the grill. None of the metal stuff surrounding the grill was broken or even bent. So no, hitting a dear doesn't leave you with more to worry about than just breaking the grill.

Oh yeah, and p.s., wind that rope up a little better son! That looks like a birds' nest. Lol.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #49
methmouth
1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=JIMBOX;9828997]
There doesn't have to be a comparison between the engines, we're just climbing the ladder of technology and the 3.6l v6 has enough power to maintain 70 mph, with lift and 33" tires, but I don't need power, I get great mileage and plenty of torque, especially with my Ruby xfer case------------------------------------------------------------------------------if you haven't noticed, the jk is the most stream lined wrangler ever made, which allows you to achieve high speeds.
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #50
Pelech
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Although I only have a 4 cylinder in my TJ, still has so much power bone stock
Pelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #51
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
Well it just depends on what you want to be surrounded with. Me? I choose METAL, and I'm not buying a plastic hood anytime soon, although the hood would be a better choice to make plastic than a grill imho.

Yeah, the stock grill on a TJ is MUCH better than the plastic grill of a JK.

Oh, and btw, I hit a dear with my plastic grilled Cadillac, and the only thing broken was the grill. None of the metal stuff surrounding the grill was broken or even bent. So no, hitting a dear doesn't leave you with more to worry about than just breaking the grill.

Oh yeah, and p.s., wind that rope up a little better son! That looks like a birds' nest. Lol.
Fair enough.

And that cable is thrown out... getting synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #52
NKYJEEPSTER1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes the JK is setup to run bigger tires with less lift, but pull a TJ or LJ on 33s and a JK on 33s next to each other. The JK is setup for better rollover protection or lower center of gravity. The frame rails in the middle of the JK are lower than a TJ. Now granted mine was a 4 door, it is wider and longer than the LJ. When I wheeled it, I was always rubbing the frame rails and gas tank skid on everything. I had more trouble wheeling it than I do now with the LJ. That s just my thoughts. IF you have the time and money to do a 4 door JK right, they are awesome rigs and can go with the best of them. I don t dislike them, just choose to wheel the LJ.
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #53
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TJ and JK?? I thought this thread was about YJ's
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #54
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I own a JK

JK Pros:
-Good daily driver
-Fits 33'' tires with a 2'' lift and without shooting MPG in the head
-More modern stylized interior (But NOT luxurized like the horrible new 2011 designs)
-Can maintain 80 mph easy on road trips and still get 18 mpg

JK Cons:
-Thin sheet metal everywhere
-3.8 engine

TJ Pros:
-4.0 i6
-thicker metal body
-Cheaper to buy atm

TJ Cons:
-Low MPG
-Not as great for daily driving
-requires more modification to fit the same tires as a JK
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #55
NKYJEEPSTER1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can say that s a fact. I m lucky to get 13-14 mpg on the road in the LJ with 33s and the JK got at least 16 with the 34s on it.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #56
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was wheeling with a JK on the weekend, and he came up to and asked if I had a V8 in my 04 TJ, I said no, He asked because I made it up a sand hill on my first try that he could never make up on multiple tries. Both are Rubicons too.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #57
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKYJEEPSTER1 View Post
Yes the JK is setup to run bigger tires with less lift, but pull a TJ or LJ on 33s and a JK on 33s next to each other. The JK is setup for better rollover protection or lower center of gravity. The frame rails in the middle of the JK are lower than a TJ. Now granted mine was a 4 door, it is wider and longer than the LJ. When I wheeled it, I was always rubbing the frame rails and gas tank skid on everything. I had more trouble wheeling it than I do now with the LJ. That s just my thoughts. IF you have the time and money to do a 4 door JK right, they are awesome rigs and can go with the best of them. I don t dislike them, just choose to wheel the LJ.

I've drug my spare going down drop offs and can't imagine what would have happened if I had the departure angle of an LJ. I'd probably rip off the spare and ruin the tailgate. And the break over angle on a JK 4dr on 34's has to be damn close if not better than an LJ on 33's. Someone post that handy picture with the angles please. There is a lot of talking out the *** going on here.
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #58
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i dont like the jk fender flares and i dont like that is does not have a straight 6 under the hood
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #59
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
the JK's seem like they are made from too much plastic....only seen a few I like. I love everything about the TJ
I feel the same... and I dont like the 'minivan' engine in a Jeep.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #60
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I own a 03 rubi

TJ

* very comfy front seats
* easy to work on
* ***** load of aftermarket parts
* small and skinny
* body lines
* very reliable

Dislikes:
* horrible mpg
* no cargo space
* shock mounting design

JK
* more cargo space (JKU)
* larger tires easier
* the 4 door rubi on 37"+ tires

Dislikes:
* no power
* no waves
* more "non-jeepers" driving them now
* 2wd option! WTF!
* wider

sometimes i wish i had a 4 door rubi, but i will always love my tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.