If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #31
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
All this "mine is better than yours" b.s. that's rampant on here. It's pretty damn entertaining though.
Oh, I wasn't getting that vibe at all. I just want to know what seasoned jeep veterans think about the difference between the two models, and JIMBOX wasn't giving me anything concrete, he was just saying a bunch of stuff that wasn't different between the two models.

anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperSC View Post
I dislike how my brother's TJ feels like your riding a bull when you go over speed bumps. But its not something that would deter me from getting one.
see this is the kind of answer I'm looking for. Basically I'm trying to decide if I need to look into selling my TJ for a YJ, or if I can be happy just modding my TJ, and what the cost/benefit payoff would be going either route. I'm thinking the JK's are prolly more capable from the get go with their longer control arm suspension.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a TJ. I dislike the JK because it's better and newer than mine stock.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #34
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
how much better though? I don't have cruise control, and I may want to do something with the suspension, but I really don't know if the JK would be worth it for just those simple mods. Is the engine better? If so, why?
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Everyones needs, likes, and wants are so different. I had a 94 YJ and it was fun to still have around to drive every now and again because of the "bucking bull" feel lol, especially with the broken front seat bracket it had. The two biggest differences to me are the size and engine.

It would be nice to have more low end torque in the JK like the 4.0 provided in the YJ, but government regs. crushed it long ago and it just couldn't pass muster anylonger. The 3.8 isn't near as bad as people make it out to be, certainly not an ideal power plant, but it's OK.

As for size, the JK can't squeeze through as many tight spaces as it's predacessors which can be a pain in the woods, but in my experience, it is more stable in off camber situations. Kind of a wash depending on where you wheel if at all.

All the other stuff is just fluff.

Both have lots of plastic.
Both have the same craptastic hit or miss Chrysler reliability and build quality.
Both have shakes and rattles unique to each individual Jeep which we all have come to enjoy lol.
Both will empty your bank account and sometimes result in having to choose the Jeep over your wife.
Both will put a big ****-eating grin on you face when your behind the wheel.
etc....
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #36
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep doesn't have to bring back old styling like Ford, Chevy and Dodge are doing with the old muscle cars because they NEVER changed the original style. It is basically the same box on wheels that it was originally. The only changes have been due to safety restrictions (ex: plastic covering the bumpers) and to improve performance.

Sure the JK has a lot more plastic all over. But, you won't be slamming your head into a metal dashboard when you get into a wreck either.

TJ likes:
Great offroad capability
Topless!
Easy to mod/repair
Hold their value

TJ dislikes:
Not a comfortable DD
How many years and no power locks and windows? Not even as an option?
Chrysler product

Last edited by bige2533; 07-23-2010 at 12:03 AM..
bige2533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #37
-Zona-

Who gives a ****? If I wanted a TJ I would've bought one.

-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
Who gives a ****? If I wanted a TJ I would've bought one.

this is obviously the wrong thread for you, move along.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #39
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like that the TJ's have rusty looking grills .....it makes mine look new and not going on 4yrs. old .......just sayin ' LOL !!!
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #40
JerseyDoug
Can I go home now?
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
No, but with the new design coming out in 07, jeep probably stopped '06 production before the end of '05, probably wrong !!
Yep, wrong.
JerseyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
Dudman5703
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We got a TJ, what i like over the JK is the dash layout compaired to the JK. I also perfer the Tj hardtop, feels less like tank.

However I have to admit I like the JK style front end more... kinda reminds me of my own CJ
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #42
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, I said , i might be wrong !!

QUOTE=JerseyDoug;9836384]Yep, wrong.[/QUOTE]

So which model jeep can you order with the I6--now ???

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #43
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
x2 but I have a YJ.
I have to lift mine up 4 to 5 inches to fit 35 inch tires.
You only have to lift the JK up 2 or 3 inches for 35 inch tires.
They also have wider axles on them and a longer wheelbase.
If I did not have so much blood, sweat and tears in my YJ I would probably buy one.
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #44
likeaspyder
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post

I kinda wish they'd left the I6 for my '08 JK, but

No use crying over spill't milk !!

JIMBO
I completely agree with you on that one. The I6 is definitley one of the biggest things that they could have left the same with the model change. I really think that they could have improved the gas mileage and overall efficiency of the I6 to meet where the V6 is and still be bulletproof. Oh well.

My imput to the thread though is that I wouldn't buy the JK just because I love the TJ too much and you can do so much more for so much less with the TJ. As said before there is way to much expensive plastic on the JK, and I cannot stand the fenders no matter how big the tires are. I do although like the painted Sahara flares, but who the hell wants to scratch a set of those.
likeaspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #45
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
^^^for the record, a metal grill is the bomb, and if you prefer plastic over metal, well, there is just something wrong with you. Metal protects the radiator from road debris, and plastic just shatters and looks terrible when impacted. I'd much rather have a metal grill that I can be:
1: protected with
2: bend back and repaint if I hit a deer or something else as opposed to having a busted a$$ grill
Hmmm... I don't think I've seen ANY posts on here about people having ANYTHING go through their grill and destroying their radiator. If you hit a deer or something you've got other problems anyways, probably bent fenders and crap too. And a deer is way too big to go "through" your grill so it sure as hell won't be getting through a plastic one. It's a surface area thing.

As far as rocks or something getting through... doubtful as well... and if something does that small, you've got an AC condenser up there to protect the radiator so it's not the end of the world.

And on top of that, I'll have this protecting the front some as well soon enough:

edit:

And with your reasoning... that would mean the stock hood is awesome since it's metal, and everyone that gets highline Durham hoods or Campbell hoods have something wrong with them. Those are plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.