If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a TJ or JK what do you like/dislike about the 'other' one.

I have a TJ, and I like the fully metal grill of the TJ, and I really like the looks, fenders, and the longer suspension links of the JK. I also like the really solid feeling of the doors.

anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

when are they going to offer a v8 in these trucks?????
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

the JK's seem like they are made from too much plastic....only seen a few I like. I love everything about the TJ
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have an '08 JKU Rubi, I've never owned a TJ/YJ/CJ, but

I've been off road in CJ's/TJ's and they are great for climbing rocks !!!

There's nothing else I like about them, compared to the JKU

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I have an '08 JKU Rubi, I've never owned a TJ/YJ/CJ, but

I've been off road in CJ's/TJ's and they are great for climbing rocks !!!

There's nothing else I like about them, compared to the JKU

JIMBO
wow, that sounds like a resounding review for the JK.

--how can you not like the metal grill of the TJ vs. the plastic grill of the JK? That I'd like to know. I'm also under the impression that the I6 has more torque down low than the V6. What do you say about the engine comparison?
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, I don't really care about the composition of the grill, who cares ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
wow, that sounds like a resounding review for the JK.

--how can you not like the metal grill of the TJ vs. the plastic grill of the JK? That I'd like to know. I'm also under the impression that the I6 has more torque down low than the V6. What do you say about the engine comparison?
There doesn't have to be a comparison between the engines, we're just climbing the ladder of technology and the 3.6l v6 has enough power to maintain 70 mph, with lift and 33" tires, but I don't need power, I get great mileage and plenty of torque, especially with my Ruby xfer case and there's no comparison when it comes to long travel/camping/load capacity and the ability to carry 4 adults COMFORTABLY !!

JIMBO
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like the JK turn signals...

So I put them on my TJ

Otherwise, I LIKE that they are selling like hotcakes to keep Jeep alive, I dislike that everyone that buys them doesn't know how to freaking wave

The belly is much flatter on the JKs which is awesome, MOST come with a D44 so that's a plus, I think only a few early 2dr JKs got D35s in the rear.

I actually like the idea of a plastic grill for the JKs... less crap to get scratched and rust. I would like to buy a plastic TJ grill so I could feel better cutting some out to recess a winch further back.

The JK body overall is aweful, too large and too square at the back corners. The highline fenders are a good idea, but the flares look aweful on stock size JKs IMO. They become tolerable with larger tires.

The JK's 3.8 engine has no guts down low, I will give it reliability for sure, about the same as 4.0 reliability IMO at least to 200k. I've seen many in Caravans and they don't require repairs much or often at all. Occasional intake gaskets(oil leak) and that's really it. I would take the 4.0L over it though for the lower end torque, though FWIW I'd rather do intake gaskets than a rear main seal over a weekend if needed.

The heavy integration of Mercedes electronics I absolutely hate, I deal with enough of that crap on Chrysler 300s/Dodge Chargers/newer Rams/etc... Jeeps are no longer "simple" vehicles IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^for the record, a metal grill is the bomb, and if you prefer plastic over metal, well, there is just something wrong with you. Metal protects the radiator from road debris, and plastic just shatters and looks terrible when impacted. I'd much rather have a metal grill that I can be:
1: protected with
2: bend back and repaint if I hit a deer or something else as opposed to having a busted a$$ grill
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, I don't really care about the composition of the grill, who cares ??

There doesn't have to be a comparison between the engines, we're just climbing the ladder of technology and the 3.6l v6 has enough power to maintain 70 mph, with lift and 33" tires, but I don't need power, I get great mileage and plenty of torque, especially with my Ruby xfer case and there's no comparison when it comes to long travel/camping/load capacity and the ability to carry 4 adults COMFORTABLY !!

JIMBO
well if you say something like that, you're going to be asked to back it up. What exactly does the 3.8 (3.6???) Do better? How is it more advanced? The ability to carry 4 adults comfortably doesn't rely on platform does it? That's just having an unlimited vs. regular Jeep right?
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
raidert05
2014 JK Wrangler 

JK
2.Better ride on the road
3.Less modification to run larger tires

Dislikes
1.Not a V8
2.Crappy Gearing from factory
3.Crappy Plastic Bumpers
4.Most owners don't wave....

TJ
2.Simple to work on
3.Seats are more comfortable

Dislikes
1.Metal Fenders
2.Dana 35 rear end on most
3.Most owners never wave...

USN Jeep Club Hull #97
raidert05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
JerseyDoug
Can I go home now?
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my 06 TJ just as the 07 JKs were being released. I like the I6 and narrower body style. I do like the highline fenders on the JK.
JerseyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
ETCMSSJoe
2010 JK Wrangler 

Technically, they're both capable, reliable, mod-able fun machines and I like the looks of both. The TJ has a very classic "Jeep" look and the JK, especailly lifted with 33" or larger tires just looks bada** to me.

Having said that, the thing I dislike about my JK is that its too new and I don't feel comfortable treating it like a Jeep. What I mean is, with a Wrangler in Tennessee in the summer, the top and doors could (and maybe should) be removed all the time, and the drain plugs pulled or ready to be pulled. So far I've taken out all the carpeting but I can't bring myself to let it get dirty, buggy, bird crapped on, etc. on the inside and rained in since I've only made a couple payments. If - and its a big 'if' for me - I keep it long enough to pay it off or at least get close, then maybe I'll feel better running it the way I want to. When stripped naked its the closest thing to traveling in a boat on dry land. As a sailor, I like that.
ETCMSSJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^lol, I wouldn't have that 'newness' problem if mine were new, I've got a long history of hacking up cars that I don't have paid for yet... The JK does look 'bada$$' though.
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

All right, I obviously have the JKU RUBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
I have a TJ, and I like the fully metal grill of the TJ, and I really like the looks, fenders, and the longer suspension links of the JK. I also like the really solid feeling of the doors.
I admire the CJ's/TJ's for their FEEP qualities, but

As I said, to me ther's no comparison to the NEW (this is 2010) JK jeeps Now I'm older than dirt and I've gone thru the eary car/muscle car decades and owned most ofem, so when I bought this JKU, I knew exactly what I was getting

With the lift and 33.2" tires and Rubi xfer case/swaybar edisco/auto/4.10 diff-etc, it'll go wherever I want to go and it'll take my trailer anywhere it goes

I can go 1000 miles freeway, with ease/comfort/mileage and go off-road

I can carry a hell of a load inside and on top and the trailer

I can go from the tent to sleep in the JKU (with comfort) and I'm 6'4"

Ihave a hatch tent, so my wife and I can jump from the tent to the JKU and lock the doors and sleep in comfort (bears)

I have a place in the Nevada desert and I can go from 115° to-7° in comfort and do all the above

There will always be a MKT for older jeeps, thats just the way it is, but detroit won't put TJ's back into production, like they have "Cudas", Camero's, and Challengers and I've owned em all

I've had two 426 Dodge Hemi's and 4 dodge 440 big blocks,three of which were Dodge Ramghargers witha 10" lift

You can always go home, but you can never go back !!

JIMBO
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

TJ - Like the interior, soft top, 03-05 Moabs, and easier to modify. Dont like the space inside

JK - Like 4 doors, Looks Badass with 37s and minimal lift(or upgrades on a rubicon), dont like all the plastic, interior is OK, cant stand tha factory flares.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.