Idk what Wrangler to get?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Idk what Wrangler to get?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
PatDiez10

I'm planning on going mudding mainly with the Wrangler I buy not much real offroading I can do here in Dallas unless I drive out far to some locations but work won't allow me to do that at the time.

PatDiez10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
DanGemmell
2013 JK Wrangler 

Here's how I would answer your question. First consideration is on the model. You said you want to off road and also use as your daily driver, so my first thought would be are you prepared to put money and work into your rig? If so it might be best to buy an X or Sport and build to your own liking. However this can get expensive and addicting. The other option is to buy something already equipped like the Rubicon. Personally I bought the X and planned on building it, but never found the time, so just traded it in on a new Rubicon. The second consideration, is who will be riding with you? Kids? Wife? Girlfriend? Or just your buddies? Also do you plan on taking it camping or other needs for more storage. I regularly have passengers or need the storage, so I bought the unlimited. The next question is standard or auto, and to me there really is no question here, you are buying a jeep and going to be off roading, buy the standard. Although some of the newer auto's preform well. The top, both!
DanGemmell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
PatDiez10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGemmell
Here's how I would answer your question. First consideration is on the model. You said you want to off road and also use as your daily driver, so my first thought would be are you prepared to put money and work into your rig? If so it might be best to buy an X or Sport and build to your own liking. However this can get expensive and addicting. The other option is to buy something already equipped like the Rubicon. Personally I bought the X and planned on building it, but never found the time, so just traded it in on a new Rubicon. The second consideration, is who will be riding with you? Kids? Wife? Girlfriend? Or just your buddies? Also do you plan on taking it camping or other needs for more storage. I regularly have passengers or need the storage, so I bought the unlimited. The next question is standard or auto, and to me there really is no question here, you are buying a jeep and going to be off roading, buy the standard. Although some of the newer auto's preform well. The top, both!
Well I currently work at O'Riley Auto Parts so thats gonna help me save money on parts for the Jeep, & ill just mud with my buddies & cruise around some days with my Rottweiler & I want a manual cause those are easier to fix up if I have some problem with it.
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
DanGemmell
2013 JK Wrangler 

Okay based on your reply I would definitely be buying a 2 door, better for trails and it does sound like you need the extra room. Next is the top, depending on where you live, but if your in an area where you have a lot of cold days like me, then you might need the hard top, but if your down south, then I would opt for the soft top. Sounds like you don't need to worry about security of the top, if you are riding with a Rottweiler. Are you wanting new, slightly used or older? I personally would avoid the 4.0L and the 3.8L. If you are looking for new or a 2012, then you can get into a better engine, the 3.6L, or if your looking for older, a lot of people like the earlier 4 cylinder engines. If you have access to cheap parts and can DIY then I would buy the base 4x4 and build it up as you can afford it.
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Len455
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why would you say stay away from the 4 liter? And why would you take the 2.5 over the 4?
Len455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len455
Why would you say stay away from the 4 liter? And why would you take the 2.5 over the 4?
You shouldn't. That's wrong.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
DanGemmell
2013 JK Wrangler 

Some guys like the 4.0L, however personaly I haven't had much luck with them. The 3.8 has decent power at the lower gears, however is a dog going up hills at hiway speeds and even worse when I put 33's on. A lot of off roaders like the torque you get out of the 4 cylinder. I have had personally used the 2.5, the 4.0, the 3.8 and now just purchasing the 3.6. Haven't received the 3.6 yet, June delivery, but I will let you know in August after I break it in a bit.
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
PatDiez10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGemmell
Okay based on your reply I would definitely be buying a 2 door, better for trails and it does sound like you need the extra room. Next is the top, depending on where you live, but if your in an area where you have a lot of cold days like me, then you might need the hard top, but if your down south, then I would opt for the soft top. Sounds like you don't need to worry about security of the top, if you are riding with a Rottweiler. Are you wanting new, slightly used or older? I personally would avoid the 4.0L and the 3.8L. If you are looking for new or a 2012, then you can get into a better engine, the 3.6L, or if your looking for older, a lot of people like the earlier 4 cylinder engines. If you have access to cheap parts and can DIY then I would buy the base 4x4 and build it up as you can afford it.
I live in North Texas so I think I'll just stick with a soft top & I'm currently looking & will hopefully purchase a 06 Wrangler X
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
DanGemmell
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice, I'm just selling my 08 Wangler Unlimited X, it has 93K and I will most likely trade it in. The dealership offered me 12K on a trade for my new rig, 13 JKUR 10 Anniversary Addition. I know I could sell for 13.5K privately, but my issue is timing as this is my daily driver right now, so trading works better for me. If I was you and have access to cheaper parts, I would do a build myself. Well best of luck on your purchase, cheers!
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDiez10 View Post
Yea man it was a 07 Wrangler 4 door that wasn't a 4x4 it was a Wrangler for soccer moms or people who wanna say they got a Wrangler haha but I'm gonna check a 06 Wrangler X this Wednesday with mechanic it has 76k miles on it & one owner with some 33' BF Goodrich tires. He's asking 13.5k
You know, depending on how much work you are willing to put in, you could convert it into a 4x4. We have a Mod in the JK section that is doing just that.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
PatDiez10

No I'm just gonna get a 2 door cause a 4 door seems like a hummer to me & I want a manual transmission so nobody in my house can use my Jeep haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.