Idiotic Moment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Idiotic Moment

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Idiotic Moment

Yesterday I put an Aussie locker in my D30. Everything went smoothly, and having a buddy over made the install go very quickly. So at the very end I put some gasket sealant on the diff cover, bolted 'er up and said, "Ok, let it dry and I'll fill it up tomorrow." My friend was supposed to come over the next day with his Jeep so we could replace his ring and pinion (missing teeth on ring, however the hell that happened).

The following day my friend and I get together over my house after work, I fill the diff and say, "Lets test it out."

We go in my back yard, over the creek through the woods to this one hill that my Jeep always had a hard time climbing with open diffs. I put it in 4WD and think, "This is going to be awesome. Should crawl right up." To my surprise I couldn't climb up it. My friend gets out, we check the vac lines on the disconnect, etc. ----- Nothing. ----- He watches as I try to climb the hill several more times. Only have traction with one tire.

So we head back to my garage, all the while discussing about what could possibly be wrong.

We jack up the front end again and I spin the driver's side tire. Yup, the driveshaft spins. So what the heck is going on? Why isn't it locking?

At this point my mind is racing. Although sometimes wrenching on your Jeep is fun, re-doing this project isn't what I would consider fun. Plus I'm starting to worry about what is wrong and WHY it's wrong.

And then I had an epiphany. "Wait, let me check the vacuum disconnect a minute."

So I pop off the vac disconnect plate and..... yup..... you guessed it. I put the collar on the shaft, but I didn't put the shift fork on the collar. Talk about an idiotic moment.

Long story short, Aussie works fantastic now. But I'm still a simpleton.

You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

LOL ! Don't feel bad .... I was putting a 1" BL on my 4dr. Rubi when a buddy stated talking to me I got the passenger side done and thought something was wierd I had one to many pucks left . I looked and the puck was not at the mount in front of my pss. rear . So i had to "DO OVER" that side LOL ! Needless to say I paid more attention to the drivers side ....... no biggie just another hour and more threadlocker ..... LOL !
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Liquid741
2012 JK Wrangler 

reading the story, i was fearing that you were going to have a expensive moment about to happen to you...glad to know that you were able to get it fixed and are loving it!
Liquid741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid741 View Post
reading the story, i was fearing that you were going to have a expensive moment about to happen to you...glad to know that you were able to get it fixed and are loving it!
HAHA, me too man. Fluid........OH DAMN!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.