I would like a winch recommendation... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I would like a winch recommendation...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
mbu

I would like a winch recommendation...

Would anyone like to provide me with their winch recommendation? I have a '12 jeep jk. I need this one for occasional use but I would like one that stands up very well.

mbu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Jodyblip
2012 JK Wrangler 

Red head imo
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

in Black Leather...

Which JK? The two door?

For the two door I would have to say the Warn M8000 offers the best balance between affordability, performance and reliability... Its kind of in between in price between the budget winches and the high dollar ones but yet is a performance grade. Can be found for $550.

But I am not sure its quite enough for the 4 door as I don't know the weight of those. What are those things? Might be enough.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Back in the 80's, a winch with a max rating 1.5x the vehicle weight was the norm. These days 2x rig weight seems more common. If your budget will allow a Warn, I would buy it. Synthetic winch line is much lighter and safer but costs more. It can be handy to use the same winch as your bud's. That way a controller failure can be easily sidestepped.
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Warn 9.5ti. Spend the cash now for a Warn and hopefully, it will be the last one you ever have to buy.
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ramsey has been building winches for tow trucks, industrial hoists, and Jeeps for a long time. If you go Ramsey you are not paying for the big name.
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Best Warn you can afford--
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Red93yj
2011 JK Wrangler 

I heard smittybilt is the best bang for your buck. I am about to buy one.
Red93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Natesjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I purchased the warn vr-8000 about 2 months ago and have more than impressed with. Have used to pull my self out of think deep mud 5 times so far. Did it without any issue.
Natesjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
Radney
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I found an old Warn x8000i that had been left outside for years for $200. Rebuilt it for 25$ worth of parts and grease and it is a monster. There is Warn and then everything else.
Radney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

w
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
JSingr

My ex wife..greatest winch of all
JSingr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSingr
My ex wife..greatest winch of all
That would be wench.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
JSingr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
That would be wench.
that too but it's a Scottish term
JSingr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
flashpoint83
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have also been playing with this question. I have my eye on the Warn VR-8000, for a 2 door wrangler JK. There are alot of cheaper "name brand" winches out there, such as superwinch and etc. I dont do any hardcore offroading, just mountain roads that recieve generous amounts of snow. I dont plan to ever use it, but thats what is there for when you dont expect to need it... With that being said, is it worth another 2-300?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.