I picked up a free hard top today... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I picked up a free hard top today...

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a free hard top today...

... and WOW! What a change in looks! My Jeep is red with most of the nose in red primer and stock rally wheels painted semi-gloss black with stainless trim rings. Anyway... I had a black hard top with tinted windows that was smashed by a tree falling on it a few weeks back so I found a freebie missing the back glass (mine is still good) However the top was tan. I figured I would just paint it black and I would be good to go. Well the tan top has clear windows and my word does it look GOOD on the Jeep! I mean, WOW good! I am keeping the tan top as it is although I may spray the top over as my lower window is black and the top could use a paint job.

I just can not believe how good it looks with the tan top. It's bright red now, but when I finish rebuilding the body again, I am going with an old school copper brown on the red shade so the basic color will stay the same.

It's dark now, but I will try to add some photos tomorrow.

I have yet to recover my photos onto my new computer, but I dug through my server to show a few "lifetime" photos in the time I bought it.

Here is a photo from a year or two after I bought her for $1000.

Then a photo with the top on (Why I have no idea... the photo shows June!)

Here she is in mid CJ clip swap after a play date (At Ma-Bell if my memory serves me right)

And then after washing off the mud and a fresh coat of paint, here she is at her finest hour. (well... almost, the top IS still on) Looks like March of 2006 from my photo name.

Which brings us to this summer where I had to repair the front end after a winter encounter with a tree left her sitting for a few months. And yes.... I am using the 'burban to keep the jeep in place while I pull the frame! The sad thing is that I am an ASE certified frame tech and certified by Chief to operate the latest laser based computer measuring system... and here I am with a big hammer and a tree! Bwahaahaahhaaa... It "is" only temp as I am looking for a new frame to re-build.

Tomorrow I will grab one with the tan top and the black wheels... The nose is mostly in primer still, but now that she is getting body work, I have some areas that need to be repaired again. I hope to repaint it next spring and spend the time between now and then rebuilding the body and swiping in a CJ dash.

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 07-26-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmm... tough crowd~

Anyway, I grabbed a photo with the tan top before I pull it off the Jeep.

(never mind the tiny gas can... I was just seeing how it might look.)

and I did not really like it back here either. It's a shame, because it's so cute and the writing on the can is in German.

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
Hmmmm... tough crowd~

Anyway, I grabbed a photo with the tan top before I pull it off the Jeep.

(never mind the tiny gas can... I was just seeing how it might look.)

and I did not really like it back here either. It's a shame, because it's so cute and the writing on the can is in German.

Why, because you're the only posting in your thread. Seriously though, I thought you would bet a lot of responses....not so much for the hardtop but because of the front clip swap. I dig it and I think the gerry can would look mounted like you had it in the first pic (in front of the front door).
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty sweet deal. I've been looking for a hardtop but the cheapest I found in one piece was $600.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So in the end you'll have a hardtop with clear side windows but the back will be tinted because it is off your old top?
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
93iroZJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Pretty sweet deal. I've been looking for a hardtop but the cheapest I found in one piece was $600.
idk how much shipping would be but my friend has 4 hardtops hes selling for $50 a piece
93iroZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys... I always loved the CJ swap and would do it again in a heart beat! As for the back window, oddly enough, my old top had a clear window so it will be a better match. The funny thing is that I was given the lower half of a back window that did not have the handle like my top had. I swapped that onto mine because the handle was broken. That part was tan before I painted it!

Oh, does anyone know of a source for spray can pain that would match the tan color?
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93iroZJ View Post
idk how much shipping would be but my friend has 4 hardtops hes selling for $50 a piece
I don't suppose any of those tops would be for a CJ, by chance? I would love to find the back window assy for the CJ so that my tailgate will work properly. From what it looks like, the top is exactly the same for the window area.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.