I need a distributor drive assembly - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I need a distributor drive assembly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
EUGENE1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So Chrysler must have enough loyal customers that they don't need me to be Loyal to them any longer. They have now decided that they will only pay half of the repair no matter how extensive the repair costs are. But I have to allow the dealer to do a tear down on the engine to diagnose the problem internally which I have to pay. Then they will decide how much of the repair they will pay for. You'd think that with them already having this issue on so many Jeeps (250 were on B/O at least) that they would just admit that they made a mistake and pay for this especially 5000 miles out of warranty. The '05's & 06's were right in line with each other at build time. You know the didn't take away all of the left over parts when the 05 production stopped & 06 production started. My 06 went right down the line getting the DEFECTIVE DRIVE GEAR that has now failed & cause $$$$ in damage to my engine. I guess the fact that I have been a loyal Jeep customer for more than 10 years and have personally owned at least 6 Jeeps in the past 10 years means nothing to them.I guess also the fact that I have my own part-time jeep business dealing with XJ Cherokees where I buy & sell to keep the product out there means nothing to them also. It sure wouldn't be that hard to start buying Japanese vehicles from now on. I could even start my own Japanese car part-time business.
The LOYALTY STOPS HERE......I figured something out today. Toyota builds a nice off road vehicle called "FJ" I think it means "F*@# JEEP!" I LIKE IT!

Any body want to buy a nice Jeep? Needs minor Engine repair.....

000_0705.jpg  
EUGENE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
nate2630
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help!

I have had my 05 in the shop for 5 weeks now and they pushed back release date to 4-18-11? If anyone has an extra or knows where to get one I would pay them an extra hundred or more!

Please help!

Nate 970-390-9591
nate2630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What is wrong with yours? If it is making noise, figure out what the problem is. Is it the gear, lower bushing, or upper bushing? I could not get one for several months, so I took mine apart and found the top bushing was wore badly. I took it to an autmotive machine shop and had them install an Oillite bushing. I ran it for a few months until I could get a new one. Good luck.
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the new failure thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

For those of you with bad OPDA's, like the above poster said what is the problem? Squeals, codes, engine performance? There are options. This is a big deal, but if you can catch it before you blow up your engine there are ways to get through it.
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #20
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUGENE1 View Post
So Chrysler must have enough loyal customers that they don't need me to be Loyal to them any longer. They have now decided that they will only pay half of the repair no matter how extensive the repair costs are. But I have to allow the dealer to do a tear down on the engine to diagnose the problem internally which I have to pay. Then they will decide how much of the repair they will pay for. You'd think that with them already having this issue on so many Jeeps (250 were on B/O at least) that they would just admit that they made a mistake and pay for this especially 5000 miles out of warranty. The '05's & 06's were right in line with each other at build time. You know the didn't take away all of the left over parts when the 05 production stopped & 06 production started. My 06 went right down the line getting the DEFECTIVE DRIVE GEAR that has now failed & cause $$$$ in damage to my engine. I guess the fact that I have been a loyal Jeep customer for more than 10 years and have personally owned at least 6 Jeeps in the past 10 years means nothing to them.I guess also the fact that I have my own part-time jeep business dealing with XJ Cherokees where I buy & sell to keep the product out there means nothing to them also. It sure wouldn't be that hard to start buying Japanese vehicles from now on. I could even start my own Japanese car part-time business.
The LOYALTY STOPS HERE......I figured something out today. Toyota builds a nice off road vehicle called "FJ" I think it means "F*@# JEEP!" I LIKE IT!

Any body want to buy a nice Jeep? Needs minor Engine repair.....
What dealer? I'm in Baltimore too. Heritage Jeep on Harford Rd. tried to get me for $490 for the OPDA replacement. They eventually covered it under warranty for $100 deductible. Is the engine shot? What were the details of the gear breaking?
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
nate2630
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I found the repair kit and it should be here tomorrow! I hope it works. Mine was bad and damaged the cams could not go over 2500 rpm.
Unread 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2630 View Post
I found the repair kit and it should be here tomorrow! I hope it works. Mine was bad and damaged the cams could not go over 2500 rpm.
I don't doubt what you're saying, but cam damage is probable but not necessarily a cause for not being able to get about 2500rpm. If the OPDA was put in wrong so that the pulse does not match in the computer, the computer will limit the rpms to protect the motor. For example I could go outside and turn my OPDA so it isn't aligned correctly and my rpms will not go above 2500. I can then turn it back and it will be fine.

When you say it was bad, who looked at it? What did it do when it went bad?

Did the gear break?
How many miles were on the Jeep?

Even when you put a new OPDA in, if the cam is bad, the motor will not run correctly if at all. Please have a look at the OPDA failure thread. It may help you understand how it works and it might help you tell us what is wrong.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

Lastly, when you replace the OPDA, it will likely fail again. The upper bushing is not properly lubed and will heat up and bind the shaft. There is not difference in the one that came installed back in 2005 and the ones that are on back order now in 2011.

If anyone is reading this go to the above link. It's got a ton of pics as well as a thorough explanation of the problems and home brew solution. If you have a question let us know. This problem can be fixed if caught early enough.
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
nate2630
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They said it was worn excessivly and they are replacing under warranty.

Tags
Distributor , drive assembly , lj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.