I need a distributor drive assembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I need a distributor drive assembly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
EUGENE1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I need a distributor drive assembly

My 2006 Rubicon Unlimited has now been sitting in the Dealer since July 2nd.
The Distributor drive assembly parts number 53010624AC has been on order and is apparently one of 237 on national backorder throughout the US.

Is this not the most absurd thing you've ever heard??

My Jeep has 41000 miles, sits in a garage it's entire life and has never been abused or beaten on the trails and one day out of the blue the drive gear on the distributor just breaks. (along with 235 others apparently)

Any body have any idea where I can obtain on of these? Now Chrysler has said "maybe by September 9th" but I've gotten info from other dealers that show NO RELEASE DATE in Chrysler's system...

I would go aftermarket, high performance, used or any other way I can get one.

Thanks
Larry

EUGENE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

There are no high performance or aftermarket camshaft, oil pump drive shafts on the market.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
EUGENE1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great! Makes me not want to ever buy another Chrysler/Jeep product. Maybe they can offer to make my payments while their part is not being produced!
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yea it does suck there!I feel your pain but...hopefully you will have it repaired soon!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
EUGENE1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

the one guy at a Dealer said they have a Grand down for 5 months waiting on a part from Chrysler
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
BlackAura
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That sucks man

You should check out this thread: Chrysler is Paying to Install a New Cam (2006 Owners Should Read This).

My CPS (cam position sensor) started making a ticking sound on my 2003 a week or so ago. I had planned to replace the CPS and the OPDG (oil pump drive gear) assembly. Then I called around pricing it out.

I know for a fact, as per SweetPee's post on Jan 5th in this thread (4th post, the one with the pictures) that back in January 2010, the CPS was $55 USD, and the OPDG assembly was $51 USD. The gasket was another $2 USD.

I've called around down in Arizona (my cousin's are currently down there), and the CPS is $68, and the OPDG is $272. Huh? Yep....$272.

Bonus: called around here in Canada, the same parts are $95 CAD and $401 CAD respectively, and the dollar is pretty much on par.

Talked to the parts guy up here, apparently Chrysler ran out at some point, as the OPDG part number ends in 'AB'. The old AA part was $95 in Canada. Then apparently they ran out, and Chrysler had to make more, so they contracted them out. The new price is now $401.

This doesn't explain why SweetPee on the Kentucky Krawlers site got the AB part for $61 though .

Sorry, this doesn't really help you at all, as the parts are different for the 05-06 models. Is there any chance you could find one at a pick-your-part or other junkers type place? Unfortunately you won't know the condition of the part you find, and it could have the same issues. (you can check the build date code, as per the thread I linked above about the camshaft replacement).

There's a Technical Service Bulletin floating around somewhere that explains exactly which oil pump drive gears had the problem (they weren't hardened properly, so they experienced excessive wear). If you find that you can check the part number / build date for any used part you may find, to see if you'll have the same issue.

Good luck! Sounds like this was a weak point in the engine as it seems to be a possible problem for many of the build years.
BlackAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

yup Chrysler screwed that pump drive thing up pretty bad. was the same deal when my 42RLE was rebuilt under warranty. it sat at the stealership for 3 weeks waiting for parts to come...because the 42RLE is such a POS and no dealers, factory or parts warehouse had rebuild stuff in stock...all backorder since there is so many problems with em.

do what I did - complain until they pay for a rent car. the dealer paid for a week of rental on a Prius for me after I talked to a service manager. when the dealer is paying for your rental car, the vehicle gets done much faster.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can buy the gear separately aftermarket in the 20ish dollar range. Pop the old gear off, pull the shaft and polish out any scoring, charge the oillite bearings with oil and reassemble.
Hopefully the cam gear isn't damaged.
Dealerships should have or be able to get a 'repair' kit that Chrysler supplies which has a gear, gasket and a drill bit.
The shafts seem to be soft and may be the cause of the problem.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The repair kit is no longer available according to the 8 dealerships I called. Seems DC knows there is a serious issue here. I smell an epidemic storm approaching. I bought 3 of the aftermarket gears just in case, should arrive by the middle of the week.

Closely check or have your cam gear checked. You might be sorely surprised.
Savage1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
EUGENE1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where can I get the gear?
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^dude, or Eugene, I fixed mine, but it required a lot of work on my part. I ordered a gear from an '04 off that 4wd website, redrilled it, and then installed it on my truck. I'm up and running and good to go now. I can guide you through it if you just want to pick your jeep up and go at it by yourself. It shouldn't cost you that much either, even if you have machine shops do the work... except for living with a cam that has some abnormal wear on it.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's where I bought mine, too.
Hopefully the shipment will be left on my back porch via UPS today.
Here is the link: Distributor Drive Gear

Unread 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
takao
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Savage could you give us a update when you're finished, I would like to know the out come in case I need to do mine too. Thank you.
takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUGENE1 View Post
My 2006 Rubicon Unlimited has now been sitting in the Dealer since July 2nd.
The Distributor drive assembly parts number 53010624AC has been on order and is apparently one of 237 on national backorder throughout the US.

Is this not the most absurd thing you've ever heard??

My Jeep has 41000 miles, sits in a garage it's entire life and has never been abused or beaten on the trails and one day out of the blue the drive gear on the distributor just breaks. (along with 235 others apparently)

Any body have any idea where I can obtain on of these? Now Chrysler has said "maybe by September 9th" but I've gotten info from other dealers that show NO RELEASE DATE in Chrysler's system...

I would go aftermarket, high performance, used or any other way I can get one.

Thanks
Larry
You should read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...d-read-963235/
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
Savage could you give us a update when you're finished, I would like to know the out come in case I need to do mine too. Thank you.
I most certainly will. Since I am currently working with a DC case manager and my dealer on getting the cam shaft replaced it might be a bit, but I will post pics and specs of the Crown Automotive gear when they arrive (didn't show up yesterday, hopefully today). I will be glad to pull my OPD gear and show side by side with the new gear as well, and mic any spec that the forums want/need.

So far it looks like DC is going to cover the costs of the OPDG (I don't have an extended warranty), the dealer and I just have to keep pushing the point of the cam gear since mine does show some minor abnormal wear, and that's enough for me to cry "imminent failure".

Last edited by Savage1969; 08-13-2010 at 07:11 AM..

Tags
Distributor , drive assembly , lj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.