I'm done with Jeep after 25 years of loyal purchases - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, there wasn't anything wrong with my '08 JKUR--

After eight years I was ready for a new vehicle, I was just becoming leery of jeeps elex systems so I traded it in before failure-

Now I get to play with a new Ram !

Whatever

JIMBO

Yellow Jeep No. 683

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 PM
PanthersFan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, there wasn't anything wrong with my '08 JKUR--

After eight years I was ready for a new vehicle, I was just becoming leery of jeeps elex systems so I traded it in before failure-

Now I get to play with a new Ram !

Whatever

JIMBO

Keep the keep. Buy the ram.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote:
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-10-2017, 05:56 AM
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

I made a similar decision 10 years ago - after 12 years of owning Jeeps. I've had several CJs, a GW and and three GCs. One of the GCs was great... the others were pretty much junk. I switched to Toyota in 2007 with a new FJ Cruiser. It was perfect, flawless, faultless... in the four years I owned it, the only money I spent on it was maintenance, fuel and lots and lots of mods. I have a Land Cruiser now, and it's been largely the same - just maintenance and mods.

I recently built a Scrambler... with an LS motor, Chevy transmission... Okay, so really no Jeep in my Jeep, but it seemed the best of both worlds.

I doubt I'll ever trust Jeep again with the new stuff. That sucks - 'cause I've been following the rebirth of the Grand Wagoneer for years. As much as I've loved the FSJs, I just don't think Jeep can pull it off... without electrical issues, transmission problems, etc. I'll drive my Land Cruiser and admire the new GW from afar.

1981 CJ8, Chevy 5.7, SM465, D300, RE 4.5, 35" BFG MTs, 20/30 4.56, Detroits, Warn 9500ti

post #19 of 31 Old 02-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
I made a similar decision 10 years ago - after 12 years of owning Jeeps. I've had several CJs, a GW and and three GCs. One of the GCs was great... the others were pretty much junk. I switched to Toyota in 2007 with a new FJ Cruiser. It was perfect, flawless, faultless... in the four years I owned it, the only money I spent on it was maintenance, fuel and lots and lots of mods. I have a Land Cruiser now, and it's been largely the same - just maintenance and mods.

I recently built a Scrambler... with an LS motor, Chevy transmission... Okay, so really no Jeep in my Jeep, but it seemed the best of both worlds.

I doubt I'll ever trust Jeep again with the new stuff. That sucks - 'cause I've been following the rebirth of the Grand Wagoneer for years. As much as I've loved the FSJs, I just don't think Jeep can pull it off... without electrical issues, transmission problems, etc. I'll drive my Land Cruiser and admire the new GW from afar.
So out of curiosity.

Which vehicles were purchased new (other than the FJ) and for the used ones how many miles on each?

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #20 of 31 Old 02-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
So out of curiosity.

Which vehicles were purchased new (other than the FJ) and for the used ones how many miles on each?
A new ZJ, a new Limited 4x4 WJ and the FJC
Used WJ Overland, Land Cruiser 100 Series with 39,000 miles; and a bunch of CJs, FSJ

1981 CJ8, Chevy 5.7, SM465, D300, RE 4.5, 35" BFG MTs, 20/30 4.56, Detroits, Warn 9500ti
post #21 of 31 Old 02-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
A new ZJ, a new Limited 4x4 WJ and the FJC
Used WJ Overland, Land Cruiser 100 Series with 39,000 miles; and a bunch of CJs, FSJ
Thanks.

It's funny cause it's so different from my experiences.

4 Jeeps, 3 new (one off lease XJ, but the 99 WJ, 12 WK2, and now 16 JKU all new).

The XJ was the problem child. Everything else was or has been great (granted we're only at 60k on the WK2 but it's been bulletproof burning not a drop of oil in 8k mile computer regulated intervals)/, and obviously the 16 is too young to count but I've got optimism).

I've seen Yota and Honda failures way too young.

And I'd never guessed a Land Rover would rank up in the reliable range, but that's great.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #22 of 31 Old 02-12-2017, 06:13 PM
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Fiat, who?
FIAT=Fix It Again Tony...

Ol' Yeller TJ
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of the electrons was harmed or injured in the creation of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.
post #23 of 31 Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
And I'd never guessed a Land Rover would rank up in the reliable range, but that's great.
I had to re-reread my posts. "Land Cruiser" not "Land Rover"

I did have a Land Rover once... ONCE. Bought it new in '96 and couldn't get rid of it soon enough. The repairs bills literally totaled up to be greater than the resale value. Fortunately it was under warranty when I owned it. But wow - the TSBs alone were endless. I'd take it in for an oil change and it'd get a transfer case, and all new fastening bolts on the the intake. Or, the dashboard removed and reglued. They never wanted customers to wait - because the list of stuff being done was always way longer than the customer knew.

post #24 of 31 Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 AM
lloydsmale
2015 JK Wrangler 

what I cant see is if you've drove them for 25 years and all of a sudden found out they aren't as reliable as a ford or chev. Ive drove them and WRENCHED on them for about 30 years now. Never had one that didn't need the tool box taken out a bit more then my other vehicles. Heck I remember about 20 years ago that about anything you bought that was 7 years old with 75k on it was on its last leg.

2015willys 4 cyl tj 2017 silverado yamaha grizzly, Polaris rzr 04 z06 vette, 600/800 crossfire cat
post #25 of 31 Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
I had to re-reread my posts. "Land Cruiser" not "Land Rover"
Oops trying to multitask again....

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #26 of 31 Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Oops trying to multitask again....
Ha. No sweat... Just funny that I actually had a Land Rover.

post #27 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Brittinsf

UPDATE!!!!! JEEP/Chrysler came through!!! After a month of writing to Jeep in Michigan, and being swapped around 6-8 different people, I FINALLY managed to speak to Sadie in their warranty department and she agreed that Jeep SHOULD stand behind their product and authorized a completely new engine install at THEIR cost! So, all you doubters and people who said just pay up: Lesson learned: be a squeaky wheel, you dont ask you wont get and dont take no for an answer. Now i will have new transmission and a new engine to keep me going the next few years until the new model comes out. And more importantly, this one woman at Chrysler has restored my faith in Jeep and i wrote a letter to her boss saying this individual was responsible for ensuring the next 30 years of Jeep purchases by me and she should be promoted forthwith!
PNWguy likes this.
post #28 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM
bwitherel
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittinsf
UPDATE!!!!! JEEP/Chrysler came through!!! After a month of writing to Jeep in Michigan, and being swapped around 6-8 different people, I FINALLY managed to speak to Sadie in their warranty department and she agreed that Jeep SHOULD stand behind their product and authorized a completely new engine install at THEIR cost! So, all you doubters and people who said just pay up: Lesson learned: be a squeaky wheel, you dont ask you wont get and dont take no for an answer. Now i will have new transmission and a new engine to keep me going the next few years until the new model comes out. And more importantly, this one woman at Chrysler has restored my faith in Jeep and i wrote a letter to her boss saying this individual was responsible for ensuring the next 30 years of Jeep purchases by me and she should be promoted forthwith!
Just curious - since you were out of warranty (exceeded year limit but within mileage limit), what was their argument for agreeing to pay for new engine? Transmission at 2 years and engine at 75K miles could be argued owner abuse. You never shared a lot of specifics as to why the vehicle might or might not be a lemon.
post #29 of 31 Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 AM
lloydsmale
2015 JK Wrangler 

great news. Glad they took care of you.

2015willys 4 cyl tj 2017 silverado yamaha grizzly, Polaris rzr 04 z06 vette, 600/800 crossfire cat
post #30 of 31 Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

Any company that mass produces a product will have issues. With the internet, the scope of those issues can sometimes be blown out of proportion ONLY because most often it is the pissed off person that decides to go on a rant about how this or that failed. I'm glad to hear Jeep backed up and decided to take care of you. I've been looking at jeeps for over a decade and finally decided to take the plunge at the beginning of this year. With a lifetime waranty on my engine and powertrain, I am hoping that anything else that fails on this thing past 5 years is relatively infrequent and cheapish for me to replace since I plan on keeping my jeep for as long as it will run.

Stock 2017 Granite Chrystal Metallic JKU

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.