I'm done with Jeep after 25 years of loyal purchases - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Brittinsf

I'm done with Jeep after 25 years of loyal purchases

My 2010 JK Sahara transmission crapped out 2 years and it was covered under warranty. Now i have a powertrain failure which is going to need a new engine after only 75,000 miles and Jeep are refusing to cover the cost. I know warranty is 5/100K whichever occurs first, but seriously, Jeep needs to stand behind their cars. I've resisted going to Toyota FJ for 20 years but after speaking to 3 FJ owners who swapped Jeeps for them and are still running at 150,000+ miles, then ive finally had enough. This will be $5,000+ out of my pocket to fix a crappy vehicles and Jeep should cover a defective product.

Anyone have any advice or feel the same way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 AM
AgileHumor

Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

I made a similar claim when I bought my 13 JK brand new and it was by far the biggest piece of **** car I have owned... I traded that pile of worthlessness in after about 8 months vowing never to get another one... I ended up getting my current old JK about 2 years ago and am happy with it. I am a Ford guy at heart and have 3 Fords in the driveway and 2 fiats. I wouldn't swear off a brand based on a poor experience by one car... unless it's GM, then you should never buy one ever. Period.

I don't blame ya for being pissed, good luck on getting the Jeep fixed. Are you 'sold' on a newer FJ? They are nice rigs, but I am not a Toyota fan so I would look elsewhere. Depending on what your needs and wants are for your next car.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha

post #4 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Brewskiskeeter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't know jeep made cars

2000 Wrangler 2.5 5 speed
post #5 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
my f250 is going on 200k, 96. 21 years as tow pig. 7.3. I will never get ride of it ever. Would rather rebuild it than buy a new that cost more than my home did. simple to work on. just works.

my 12 jeep has been less than what i would call reliable. Yes it is mainly for off road, why have one. Been doing this since 75. But the 3.6 died at 20k. Not a mud bogger, sand hiller. Just a trail rig that hardly ever sees much in the rpm range. Has had more electrical issues than i will get into. Fiat is dead to me period. I wont sell the heep, ill just rebuild it my way. 3.6 pukes again its going 5.3ls with stand alone engine management. That i can service. I might even strip it out and go to a 350 and a FUSE box.

My 66 cj went stock motor until 2000 when i sadly and regrettably sold it. 34 years freeking years on a Buick v6. miss it. never let me down. even made it back from City of Rocks with a blown head gasket and all it needed was the gasket(fixed that right in the Napa parking lot) went another 10 years. did nothing else to it that was not general stuff.

Fiat, who?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 10:33 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskiskeeter View Post
I didn't know jeep made cars

Renegade

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #7 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You had a contract. They lived up to their end. I understand frustration, but I don't see why they should do anything for you.

Good luck with the FJ. Looked seriously at them in 06. Thought good value for money from a comfort perspective. Wasn't crazy about the width. Hated the sight lines.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 02:03 PM
daddyusmaximus

Get an old CJ and build it yourself. Then you have no one to get mad at...

You know what I like about most people?
Their dogs.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 03:57 PM
PanthersFan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
You had a contract. They lived up to their end. I understand frustration, but I don't see why they should do anything for you.

Good luck with the FJ. Looked seriously at them in 06. Thought good value for money from a comfort perspective. Wasn't crazy about the width. Hated the sight lines.

Like backing up with a bag over your head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote:
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 04:03 PM
PanthersFan
2007 JK Wrangler 

All I can say is my '07 is at 147K miles. Will drive it until it dies, then put a Hemi in it. I did spend $600 to have the 3rd gear synchronizer replaced.

I have 2 Jeeps (07JK, 08KK) both modified and 3 Dodge ('14 Charger R/T, '14 Ram 1500, and a '03 Durango). I've found them all to be very reliable. Change fluids religiously, maintain them according to the schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote:
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 04:43 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're talking the FJ Cruiser, you might want to google the firewall cracking issue they all have. It's a known issue and Toyota will gladly fix it for you for right around $12K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Badmunky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm sorry you are having a problem with your Jeep man.
But the warranty dose have both a mileage, and time limit. It dose not mater what you hit first, as soon as you hit one or the other the warrenty is finished.
your pushing 6+ years on a vehicle with a 5 year warranty. Now I have sen them help, or even cover a failure after the warranty is up, but that is usualy only done when you are just out of warranty. (Like 60 days or less.)

Sucks that its going to cost you 5k to fix but it happens. And without looking at it I can't say for sure why it failed.

I can tell you I have seen this with almost every vehicle made. Including the FJ. In fact I knew a guy that had one a few years ago the had a trans failure at 40k, another at 85k and a third at 110k. Now I suspect it was largely do to the driver, but I can not prove that.
His was totaled at 130k after a light hit to the front end. They found the firewall to be cracked after the hit and it was scrapped. The hit was VERY light. In fact so light that it was all bolt on damage. But they decided the firewall crack was part of the wreck and totaled it. It was probably cracked for a while before the wreck, but hey he was not going to argue with them seeing as they where paying him off for it.

I have seen some vehicels go 250k that are known to be junk with almost no problems. I have seen others that are know to be bullet proof blow up before 50k.

I had a 93 Taurus that I could not kill. 3.0L auto and I beat the crap out of it!!! Would not die. 180k miles when I sold it still running and driving. And they guy I sold it to drove if for like 3 years at least as he lived in the same town I did and I would see it all the time.
My wife had a 91 Taurus Wagon 3.0L auto. Junked it at 107k after trany number 3 failed. Motor was burning half its oil every 3k, fouled its plugs out every 3-5k. REFUSED to start when it was cold out side. And half the power stuff stopped working before it had 70k on it. Was a total POS!
Was also almost the EXACT same car as mine. All the same options, same motor and trans. One was a wagon, the other a sedan. One would not die, the other would not work.

SOme times there is no reason why they fail.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission at two years, engine at six?! That really does blow and I'd also be upset.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #14 of 31 Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If I was going Toyota I would go with a 4Runner or on of their pickups, actually I have their 4Runner and a little Toyota 4x4 pickup. Toyotas are great but they aren't as easily build able Compared to a Wrangler.
Badmunky likes this.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #15 of 31 Old 02-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Praetoriv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My two cents as a former FJ owner. I hated the site lines on them. Couldn't see outside to save your life. It was a good vehicle no doubt but I just never liked how cramped the cabin felt. Sucks about the Jeep though, sorry to hear it. I've had 3 toyotas with over 200k on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.