I LOVE my ****** jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I LOVE my ****** jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
beefcake3
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I LOVE my ****** jeep

in the process of rebuilding my 2.5l 4cl engine to replace the piston rings due to lack of compression iv figured out the problem is that my engine block has been bored before by a previous owner and has oversize pistons but the god damn retard didnt put larger rings on so now at 130k on the engine and having to be re bored because the small rings chewed groves into the cylinders. iv had the damn thing for about 6 months and have only driven it about two weeks of that time the only reason i just dont light the ****er on fire is because other then the engine everythings been replaced by a previous owner its basically a brand new 98 TJ.

QUESTION:
can my block be re bored or will i need a new one????

CYLINDERS:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...-help-1305626/

PISTONS:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...ation-1305969/

beefcake3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your pistons are .030 over, you can bore up to .060. should be able to rebore if the groves aren't to deep. the shop you take it to will know

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is a guy on here that went to .120 over and used flat head chevy pistons and it worked fine. As far as I know he still has it. It is actually a 2.8 now I think. He gained like 25 horse power or something too.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Maybe consider an engine swap to 4.0L
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Maybe consider an engine swap to 4.0L
It seems to me that the OP does not want to go to the trouble and headaches of an engine swap. Some of us are fine with our 4 cylinders. Other than picking up speed a little slower and towing more weight our 4 cylinders can do anything the 6's can.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It was just a suggestion that opens up possibilities.

I used to know a guy with a four cylinder that had tires too big for the power and I suppose gearing. His Jeep had a top speed of 40 mph as a result.

The possibility of salvaging the engine will largely depend on how bad the damage is and the cost of the repair. Has the crankshaft sustained any damage from the metal shavings or anything?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.