I just got a jeep... what is this modification? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I just got a jeep... what is this modification?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just got a jeep... what is this modification?

I just got this 1993 jeep wrangler yj and inside it has these three switches saying:

front air locker, ARB compressor, and rear air locker. And inside there is this huge compressor with this other thing next to it...

can you guys tell me what that is, why is it good, what its used for, and how much of a benefit i have from this mod?

i'm a total noob to jeeps and this is my first real jeep haha

Unread 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have ARB air lockers in your axles. A locker will lock the axle shafts together so that they cannot spin independently of each other. Comes in real handy when you have one wheel in the air, which can happen from time to time. Instead of that airborne wheel just spinning and you losing all traction, a locker will keep that wheel locked to the other wheel that is on the ground, so both wheels drive you forward.

Same exact thing as an ATV rear axle, both wheels spin at the same speed. In an open differential, each wheel spins independently of each other so that there is no binding when going around corners. The air compressor is what powers the lockers, since they are both air powered. In order to activate the lockers you need the air compressor to be on.

Also, you should never lock your axles on the street, or any hard surface where the wheels cannot slip. You can break an axle like that in a heartbeat.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

and how much would this set up cost to get it in this jeep? i'm just curious how much money the previous owner spent on this haha.. and i'm pretty sure there are lots of other things i am not aware of that is modified to this jeep
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Muddy4DSM

Best bet might be to post some pictures, people could have some answers for ya in no time.
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteryjSS View Post
and how much would this set up cost to get it in this jeep? i'm just curious how much money the previous owner spent on this haha.. and i'm pretty sure there are lots of other things i am not aware of that is modified to this jeep
Parts are something like $800 an axle and then installation is similar to gear install which is maybe $600 an axle.
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so there are two axles so parts will be 1600 and installation will be 1200?
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so there are two axles so parts will be 1600 and installation will be 1200?
Plus the compressor which is another 300ish
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Couple thousand $$$. Somebody spent some real money on this jeep in the past, and its likely they knew what they were doing since it has ARB's.
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely post some pics. I'm nervous to see which axles he chose to install these into.
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Couple thousand $$$. Somebody spent some real money on this jeep in the past, and its likely they knew what they were doing since it has ARB's.
yeah and it has lift (I dont know how big but its pretty big) and it has 33 inch tires with offroad tires... i'm pretty sure a lot of stuff is done to this that I dont know about.
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah and it has lift (I dont know how big but its pretty big) and it has 33 inch tires with offroad tires... i'm pretty sure a lot of stuff is done to this that I dont know about.
Well, with 33" tires its probably a 4-inch lift. Pretty decent. Like Anti said, post up some pics sometime, especially the axles front and rear. It'll tell us a lot.

Oh and welcome to the club! You just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere! Be sure to check out the YJ technical forum.
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
rockchamp
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need any more switches in the cab....that stuff will only alow you to go farther into the bush to get stuck......what I will do ,,,since I'm in the Christmass siprit, is to take those switches ,air pump axles and all related equipment for said axles off your hands,,,and I will send you my trustly factory reliable dana 30 and dana35 axles that would be better suited for your driving needs......having said that,,,ofcourse you will have to pay all shipping both ways and include a Partridge in a pear tree........
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

here are some big pictures.. hopefully with these pictures you can tell me what I bought haha .. oh and thats all mud under the jeep, no rust

Unread 12-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

here's the jeep guys.. tell me what you think.. and also, how much do you think this jeep is worth based on these modifications and these: it's a 5 speed, 4.0 high output engine, 160k miles, clean title, and runs good.
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent! Looks like you have the D44 rear axle, which is very good - heavy duty. Stock front axle. Very clean install, looks like a pro did it. I wonder if it has a SYE (slip yoke eliminator)? Can you post a pic of the rear of the transfer case/transmission? Right where the rear drive shaft comes out.

Beautiful jeep tho, its really clean and looks like it was professionally built! I wish they were that clean up north here, but most of them are gone now due to rust.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.