I can't get my TJ doors off! Please help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > I can't get my TJ doors off! Please help!!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
itsjoeydavis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can't get my TJ doors off! Please help!!

So I have a 2000 Wrangler SE and I just got the brackets to move my mirrors in the mail today so I really want to take off my doors. I understand you are supposed to remove the bolts on the door with a T50 but that size doesn't fit in any of the bolts. So I'm not really sure what to do since that is a special tamper proof piece. Any Ideas?

itsjoeydavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No, No, No, no torx required to remove doors.

If still there, just remove the nuts (2 each door) on the bottom of the hinge pins, and lift the door up and off.

It is common for on used older jeeps for the nuts to be missing.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
itsjoeydavis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much! I was wondering about that, but every place told me I needed to use torx.
itsjoeydavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There's a number of reasons you DON'T want to mess with the Torx screws.

1. The hinges set the alignment between the door and the tub, because the "hinge halfs" are adjustable. Removing the screws would require readjustment of the door.

2. The hinges are "painted on", meaning if you remove the screws the paint seal between the hinge and door and chips may occur.

3. The screws are very tough to get out (T45 I believe) and generally end up stripping out and/or breaking torx bits.

Tags
doors , help needed , remove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.