How to put a value of my TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > How to put a value of my TJ?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
MrBlah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How to put a value of my TJ?

What would be the best way to go about determining the value of my TJ? I am looking to sell it to get an LJ or CJ8.

What I paid for it is definitely not what it's worth now and it has plenty of aftermarket stuff on it. Probably $7k retail worth of parts and accessories. Really, I just don't want to ask too much so that no one contacts me about it. I also don't really know what to ask for it, period.

If you would like to give me some input, I will list what it's got.

1997 TJ, Sport. So, 4.0L engine.
  • 4 inch Rancho Lift kit, flexes very well, as the pictures show
  • Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks, these aren't new, probably 4 years old, still adjustable.
  • Sway bar quick disconnects
  • Heavy duty steering stabilizer
  • 33x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires, includes a matching spare. 18k miles on these tires, with a new spare, and only ~7k on the right rear(got a flat, warranty replaced it)
  • Mickey Thompson SideBiter® Alloy Wheels, again, matching spare
  • Bushwacker Flat Style Flares
  • Olympic 4X4 Products Generation II Dave's Rack
  • Smittybilt Front SRC Bumper for the JK, modified slightly to fit a TJ
  • Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch
  • Rugged Ridge Polished Aluminum Air Intake Kit
  • Two Hella spot lights
  • Rear Corner body armor
  • Rocker guards
  • Hard Top, Black
  • Extended Stainless Steel brake lines
  • 3.73 rear with a limited slip differential, Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 Front.
  • 209k on the body and frame. Engine was rebuilt before I bought it, so I was told. Means there should be about 70k miles on the motor.
  • It has a drop in, tough plastic liner for the entire tub
Here's a picture of it, in it's current configuration:

http://i.imgur.com/s3GCACt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wlhscV6.jpg

MrBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check what similar setup Jeeps in your area are going for. The $7000 in aftermarket parts won't really get an added 7k. In my area maybe $9500-$10000.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

No paperwork on the rebuild means it will be irrelevant and considered at the same mileage as the rest of it.

Realistically, the mods shrink your market significantly and you'll probably only get ~30% value on them. Price it the same as a stock Jeep in similar condition and miles, add maybe $3000 for the mods.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
MrBlah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know the retail price on aftermarket parts never gets returned. Thanks for the input, just didn't know how to value them.

I've been looking for others that are similar, but I'm either finding stock or just some wheels and tires or built to do some serious crawling, so it seems.

The problem I'm having is finding other Jeeps with more than 180k miles.
MrBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Really depends on the market and how fast you want to sell.

List it on CraigsList at what you "think" its worth or want for it. You can always lower the price as time passes and/or depenging on feedback you get.

Its worth is what a willing buyer and you agree on.
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree on the no paperwork for the engine rebuilt, If you don't know when or if it was rebuilt, then no one can be expected to take ones word.
I would price it with the add ons only getting you about half of what you paid for them.
Check the Kelly blue book for a stock one with that mileage plus half your mods and see if you can agree with the price.
It looks good enough and equipped that you should be able to sell it.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Strip it down. If you have any of the original parts that you took off put it back on. Buyers want plain jane TJs. You will end up with more money in the long run. High mileage cars take longer to sell. The moment you tell them it has a rebuilt engine, they will walk away or want it for far less (rebuilt means someone messed with it). It sends up red flags. Don't tell them it was rebuilt!

As is about $7-$8K because of high mileage and rebuilt engine. Stripped almost plain jane $7-$9K. I know it sounds crazy, but crazy sells. You can make an additional $1k off of the parts. Go on Craigslist and pick up the original bumpers. They tend to go very cheap. Otherwise you will be giving all those expensive accessories away for free.
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.