How much in shop fees for all this work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > How much in shop fees for all this work?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How much in shop fees for all this work?

I'm trying to plan for how much money I need to save up to get my next jeep up the the bare minimum operating specs. I have learned my lesson on my current jeep and my plan is to do everything right the first time. I plan on doing the bumpers and winch myself, but the suspension and driveline stuff is beyond my abilities and available tools and time.

I want to take a stock Unlimited to a shop, with my wish list, and get everything installed at once. I hope that by ordering everything through the shop and having them do the installation, they might cut me a deal. Okay, here is the list and the prices are based off either the manufacturer's website or Quadratec.

Rock Krawler 4" Triple Threat Long Arm $2950
Rock Krawler X-Factor Plus Steering kit $400
Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks w/ remote resevoir $756 (probably overkill, but why not)
Rancho Dual-Action Remote Control System $152
5xMickey Thompson MTZs 285x75r-16 (on stock wheels) $1,125
Teraflex Rear Shock reloaction brackets $34
Rear Driveshaft $450ish
ECTED Rear Locker $650
Skid Row engine skid $290

This is about $6800 just in parts. How much should a normal 4x4 shop charge to install everything AND regear to 4.56?

Last edited by DINOCAVE; 05-19-2009 at 08:08 PM..
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Houndmaster1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Most shops charge an hourly rate. That being said, what you are asking is not considered normal repair. Your doing custom work to your Jeep. If that was being done at my shop, I would charge my labor rate times approx 12 hours. If welding was required to relocate your control arms, I would charge an additionial 4 hours. From a shop stand point, this kind of work is a pain because it is time consuming and out of the norm of what they normally due in a day. You have to consider it will require two guys to complete the work and each man has a price tag attached. You might want to consider going through a shop that specializes in custom work to minimize the charges. I would have to charge at least $1500.00 in labor just to make any money. If you buy the parts through the shop you will most likely pay a mark up. Custom work usually comes with no warranty, due to the nature of usage. I usually do my work after hours to prevent others and customers from thinking I do this kind of work normally. Nothing ever goes as planned and problems alway come up, like vibrations for example and shops dont want to deal with the come backs. That is just my take on it.
Houndmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

To install all those things, and regear to 4:56's will be very expensive. If houndmaster1 will do it for 1500 you better jump on it.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Plan on about $1200 as a national ballpark figure for just the re-gear, including parts and labor. For the other stuff, why not do it yourself and put some of the saved labor money into quality tools that you'll have for a lifetime. This way, you'll also know every nut and bolt on your rig intimately. Despite what was said above, I think you'd be hard pressed to get that much equipment installed for $1,500; but then again, I do my own work. The only stuff I've paid someone else to do is the the re-gear, mount and balance tires, and the custom exhaust for the tri-link.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i was thinking of upwards of 2 grand but if welding was needed and any problems that would arise. that said if you were close to me i would do it for 1000 under the table
2000jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of stuff and money just to run 285s...
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm kinda stuck having to pay someone for the work. I'm in the Army and PCS a lot, so I don't have a lot of nice shop tools laying around. I always live in post housing too, which means a small garage and rules against working on your jeep. Plus, I can't weld.

I thought about going to 35" tires, but realistically, all I need are 33s. I know the common wisdom is "35s OR NOTHING!" but I really don't need that size. I do want to run a nice long arm kit because this is my DD and I want a NICE ride. I'm tired of the rough ride in my current TJ. This will be my forever jeep.

So it sounds like $1200 for the re-gear and $1500-$2000 for the suspension install?
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say around 14 hours for the lift including welding the truss, steering and complete alignment... which would be in the 16-1800 ball park.. I havent' done a RK la kit.. from looking it over I doubt it takes as long to install as a RE la which I have done a bunch of.. about the only "problem" that could come up is the upper rear shock bolts busting off..

then figure about 1200 for the gears, set up kits, and labor.. not including the cost of the locker carrier.

If the shop doesn't do alot of jeeps, you're almost better off to do it yourself. there's alot more to em than bolting on rear blocks, traction bars and coil over hoops up front on a ford or dodge...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would figure around $3800
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yea i would guess around 2-3k depending on how well you negotiate and shop around.

Where are you stationed currently?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
yea i would guess around 2-3k depending on how well you negotiate and shop around.

Where are you stationed currently?
I'm in Hawaii now but I won't be buying NextJeep until I get stationed stateside.

Thanks for all the replies. I was about $800 off on my original guestimate. This give me a savings goal.
Unread 05-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

do you really have nobills that you can save up 8k and spend it?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
do you really have nobills that you can save up 8k and spend it?
I make a decent paycheck but mostly I just set up a budget and live within my means. Starting next month I will have a seperate Jeep savings account. Plus, I don't have any credit card debt and just 1 car payment (the wife's). When I sell my current jeep I plan to use all that cash for upgrades.

My wife knows how important my jeep is to me. Plus, she has stuff she saves up for too (boob job, so it's a win-win for me on that one too). My goal is to have $13,000 set aside for jeep stuff in 2 years, which is basically how much the Rubi Unlimited should cost by then.

It's all about planning, which is why I needed to know how much I was looking at in installation fees. Thanks for all the replies.
Unread 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Jkanly

Seeing these numbers makes me glad I bought a YJ.

3000$ for a 4 inch lift, not including installation?
l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
Well, I'm kinda stuck having to pay someone for the work. I'm in the Army and PCS a lot, so I don't have a lot of nice shop tools laying around. I always live in post housing too, which means a small garage and rules against working on your jeep.
Guess I didn't realize you were in the service. Thank you for your service to our country! You know, we should come up with a way to help our Jeep buddies, in the military, that do not have access to tools or a place to work. I know some folks that serve do have that access, didn't know that was not the norm.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.