How much to sell these things for? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
eighteenwheeler

How much to sell these things for?

We decided to move to a jku due to family expansion.

My wife won't ride in it at all over the next year so I can sell it now or wait until winter is over. We don't drive it in winter anyway and normally just winterize it.

I was trying to research prices, but my goodness... I can't tell the difference between a $3000 tj and an $8000 tj sport. I paid $3500 when I bought it but I put 6 grand into it. Under 500 miles on tires, shocks, heater core, radiator, water pumps, steering rack, battery, bumpers, winch, all fluids, plugs, engine seals, all ac parts, top, stereo. No real rust except the license plate bracket

Should I just list it for $8000 and subtract $250 a month until it sells? I seriously see tons for like $2500 and they look fine.

01 Jeep TJ
Plus 9 other less durable vehicles from Italy, Germany, and 'Merica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on milage, start at 9K and go from there?
Depends on location, but also will fetch a higher price on the spring instead of just before winter
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Non-technical, moved out of the TJ Technical forum.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 04:08 PM
flyin-lowe
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's a tough call. I am not that mechanically inclined. I know many of you are but if I saw a jeep listed for sale and saw all of those items fixed/replaced it would scare me. You would think a person would like to see a vehicle with all those new parts but many people see that and think it's a lemon that has to be constantly worked on. When I sold my TS (99 2.5 auto, bone stock) it sold for $7K. The used jeep market is crazy so I would start a little high, if nobody bites bring it down some but it seems most used jeeps go quick.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 05:01 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out KBB private party pricing for your area. Put in your Jeep with options and condition. I always go by that when buying and selling my Jeeps. Four cylinder (se model) Jeeps are worth much less. With under 130,000 miles, AC and no rust, it would be worth $5000 tops where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
eighteenwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Depending on milage, start at 9K and go from there?
Depends on location, but also will fetch a higher price on the spring instead of just before winter
Sounds good. Seems high to me, but what the heck. Might as well list it for 9k and if it doesn't sell before winter then maybe it will sell in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Non-technical, moved out of the TJ Technical forum.
Sorry, but thanks for moving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin-lowe View Post
It's a tough call. I am not that mechanically inclined. I know many of you are but if I saw a jeep listed for sale and saw all of those items fixed/replaced it would scare me. You would think a person would like to see a vehicle with all those new parts but many people see that and think it's a lemon that has to be constantly worked on. When I sold my TS (99 2.5 auto, bone stock) it sold for $7K. The used jeep market is crazy so I would start a little high, if nobody bites bring it down some but it seems most used jeeps go quick.
Thats true. Besides the problems it had when I actually bought it (knowingly) Much of it was cool factor (IE- springs/wheels were a lift + wheel size expansion, not because there was a problem), and things like a winch, lightbar, and new top aren't really "mechanical" issues, but very valid. It does seem like used jeeps go quick and for mega bucks. Maybe I'll just leave all those details off except for the "Mods" when I list it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Check out KBB private party pricing for your area. Put in your Jeep with options and condition. I always go by that when buying and selling my Jeeps. Four cylinder (se model) Jeeps are worth much less. With under 130,000 miles, AC and no rust, it would be worth $5000 tops where I live.
I don't know how much I trust KBB. My joke has always been, "Find me a corvette for KBB and I'll buy two of them".

KBB puts me at $3,915. I'm pretty sure I can sell a 4.0L I6 Sport rust free w/AC and CC for more than that based on what I see on CL.

01 Jeep TJ
Plus 9 other less durable vehicles from Italy, Germany, and 'Merica
post #7 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenwheeler View Post
KBB puts me at $3,915. I'm pretty sure I can sell a 4.0L I6 Sport rust free w/AC and CC for more than that based on what I see on CL.
Your profile says you have a 2.4L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Adam013085

Garage
If its for sale for more than a few days its priced too high. If you find the sweet spot it'll sell in a day or two.

1998 Jeep wrangler
31x10.50x15 tires.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-04-2017, 10:28 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=flyin-lowe;38962225]I am not that mechanically inclined. I know many of you are but if I saw a jeep listed for sale and saw all of those items fixed/replaced it would scare me./QUOTE]

... Most of the things he listed were normal wear and tear. The other things aren't big problems, and one cannot expect a vehicle to run forever without anything breaking. Also worth noting, is that if a part has been replaced, it probably won't break again! If I saw a list of parts a mile long, I'd feel much better about it than a vehicle that had nothing done. It means that although things went wrong, it was well taken care of and properly maintained. You don't need to be mechanically inclined to look at the evidence and make a rational thought, rather than running the other way.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 06:14 PM
oldlog

Jeeps in Florida and on the CL stay for a long time and there are a lot of them
post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Adam013085

Garage
They are overpriced if they are there that long I don't care where you live. What you don't see are the ones priced right that sell in hours.

1998 Jeep wrangler
31x10.50x15 tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.