5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Hilarious and true.

My fiancÚ knows and supports my jeep habits. I can't imagine having a wife who doesn't support jeeping. That would probably make spending hundreds of dollars at a time on parts a bit more painful than it has to be.
I remember my fiancÚ being more support until she turned into my wife. Now its if you can get that for your Jeep why can't I get new carpet and appliances.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 AM
wkndwarrior
Rubiclone Member

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
The first rule of JeepClub... do NOT talk about what it costs to be a member of JeepClub

Hoss
well said!

also i don't want to look any more at the total........after purchase i have already doubled that and it is barely more than stock.......best to leave it at that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I remember my fiancÚ being more support until she turned into my wife. Now its if you can get that for your Jeep why can't I get new carpet and appliances.
yep!! better make the engagement long enough to finish the rig then.........because things change fast......and if you think there's a way out you need to read up on the "wife mod"........uninstalling can have all kinds of unintended consequences!!
Ross likes this.

Quote:
like marco from trapoja said.......guuuud luuuk!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
If you believe Iran will be content with nuclear power but not weapons I have some dehydrated water to sell you.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Co_JKU

First of all, it's hard to say your build is ever 'done'

Wife and I just got our first Jeep in October and because we have 2 young girls we take wheeling with us, we wanted quality parts.

food for thought,
We got a Currie Rock Jock front axle with Yukon gears Eaton front and rear E-lockers TEN factory chromoly shafts front and rear, Synergy balljoints and drag link flip. JCR bumper with winch for recovery.

for suspension we have a Rock Krawler X-factor with Fox Shocks

and for tires our Jeeps got 37" BFG K02s

it rides great.

Note: We wanted everything to be installed right, the first time. Especially with how adjustable everything is on the Rock Krawler suspensions and I've never worked with gears.

We paid Northridge $800 to install the suspension and $1000 to re gear, install lockers, and wire up the switches.

so far we've got about 13.5 into it.

I'm just glad my wife is a Jeeper too

it's not cheap, but it's very rewarding

post #19 of 27 Old 05-25-2016, 11:29 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
To me its about where the jeep goes so every thing we have done is for that end to wheel it till it dies or I do. But its a hobby for us. we take our vacations going places out of state. Az is great in the winter. summer not so much at 120 unless you want to test your cool systems max ability..... Doing work on it right now heading back to my home town Tahoe end of next month. the club wants to run the Rubicon and i am more looking forward to the Fordyce Creek after it with a few of the guys that want to, "take it to the limit". Have run the Rubicon since the early 70s. but never was on the dyce. those deep water crossing scare me all 3. 6 winch hills. i got a bad felling about this one sarge......went out and bought a freeking snorkel. now need some scuba gear perhaps. some how water and rock crawing seems at odds. like washing a cat in a toilet getting a Jk wet. See how that TIPM likes that...

this year added poison spider front cage welded in window supports. made that more than a bolt up. I know why they did not add it. getting everything to align. snorkle i hate to say it as i try so hard to never buy china/mexico/ canda made shyt. But the RR modular snorkle design is very good i compared em all. For my needs to not hang off the A pillar to get ripped off by rocks walls and big rocks. most kits are rather badly made. This one mount in front of the a pillar can come off. you canhardlt tell it has one even under the hood. rather well made.

Cromo axles as extras.

How much does it cost i will not count since i had to buy a truck now for the jeep, a trailer, i could drive it there . But where we go it may not be able to get me home. last thing i want to do is be tired, dirty a busted jeep, need to find parts to repair it or pay someone too... me its broke and i have no parts, drag it back on to the trailer im done..fix it latter. No matter how nice your jeep rides on the street. after being in it for many days on trails camping and 600+ miles out. last thing i would do anymore is drive the thing home, got old.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_JKU View Post
First of all, it's hard to say your build is ever 'done'

Wife and I just got our first Jeep in October and because we have 2 young girls we take wheeling with us, we wanted quality parts.

food for thought,
We got a Currie Rock Jock front axle with Yukon gears Eaton front and rear E-lockers TEN factory chromoly shafts front and rear, Synergy balljoints and drag link flip. JCR bumper with winch for recovery.

for suspension we have a Rock Krawler X-factor with Fox Shocks

and for tires our Jeeps got 37" BFG K02s

it rides great.

Note: We wanted everything to be installed right, the first time. Especially with how adjustable everything is on the Rock Krawler suspensions and I've never worked with gears.

We paid Northridge $800 to install the suspension and $1000 to re gear, install lockers, and wire up the switches.

so far we've got about 13.5 into it.

I'm just glad my wife is a Jeeper too

it's not cheap, but it's very rewarding

There is always the debate bought vs built. For the most part my jeep is more bought (havening someone else do the work) then built (you do the work). But as time passes it is more and more "built".

Aside from the cost factor the more work you do yourself the better you will understand how things work along with a better understanding of the capabilities and limitations of your Jeep.

Another issue is trail repairs. The better you understand how the Jeep is put together the better suited you will be fixing and maintaining your Jeep as you travel.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #21 of 27 Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

My wife does not know the total amounts I have spent on the jeep and the guns in my safe. Sometime, I'll write it all down so when I pass on she doesn't sell it all for what I told her it cost.
post #22 of 27 Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
The first rule of JeepClub... do NOT talk about what it costs to be a member of JeepClub

Hoss
My wife may walk by as this is on the screen... I cannot answer for fear of divorce.....
However, she has been informed of every purchase and the amount so she knows, but knowing and seeing the total in black n white are two diff things......
post #23 of 27 Old 06-14-2016, 07:54 AM
tworley

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ive got around 7k in mine so far. Hardest part was asking to buy a dana44 and she said no, so I had to sneak out of the house for a 10 hr day while I swapped it in with another member, told her I had an issue with my brakes and someone was helping me fix it. She'd never look underneath anyway I did come clean though after we got engaged...

I could easily spend another 9k in it to get it where I want it.

Colorado Member 307
post #24 of 27 Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Hubert
2012 JK Wrangler 

Counting up will only make you cry.....
post #25 of 27 Old 06-19-2016, 12:17 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert
Counting up will only make you cry.....
So does taking the recycling to the transfer station and noting the amount of beer containers...

What if I didn't...

My Jeep could have...

Never mind.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
post #26 of 27 Old 02-11-2017, 01:35 AM
convertfromvesp

I'm up to $750 so far and have yet to make the first payment on the Jeep!
post #27 of 27 Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It took me 15K on top of the vehicle price to get to 35s. By the time I do steering box it will be almost 17K. For 37s it would be 25K because I would probably just buy the entire axles. The other option would be for me to learn about mounting points and link geometry, which I'm not sure I have the time for. It seems to me you could easily spend 25-35K over the vehicle price on a 4-door to do everything top notch parts off the shelf.

KJ6HYE

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.