How much has your rig cost you to build? - JeepForum.com

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
mlm808it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
How much has your rig cost you to build?

Just like the title says, how much have you invested in your jeep and what have you done to it?

Just a little background; I just bought a TJ nearly bone stock. Plans are to turn it into a strictly off road machine over the next couple of years (Dana 44/60s, 37s etc) What am I getting myself into cost wise?!

97 TJ, 2.5L, 4.56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 11:12 AM
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Better have about 20k laying around to start with.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you doing most of the work - or is a "shop"?

Junkyard axles or something like Dynatrac/Currie/Spider etc?

Inferior slapped together suspension with joke dynamics or something excellent?

Beadlocks?

Hydro assist?

post #4 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 02:43 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

The first rule of JeepClub... do NOT talk about what it costs to be a member of JeepClub

Hoss
avatr likes this.

"Gimme three gallons of low lead; two hot dogs and a strawberry soda..."JGW
post #5 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

"Strictly offroad" implies that it will not be street legal and/or it will not be done well enough to be safe on the road. Either way, that sounds awfully boring. Part of the fun is having a Jeep that performs fantastic off the road while performing equally fantastic on the road. Being able to drive to and from the trail confidently instead of relying on a trailer is awesome. With that said, being on that level with 37's will cost you the price of the TJ + about $15k minimum and that's if you do it just right the first time and do all of the work yourself.
Ross and puppybreath like this.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #6 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 07:11 PM
thetolleyman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I purchased a 97' TJ in September, did all the work myself, did not go too crazy, and I've spent around $9K, not including the original purchase price. I'll post my mods later if you like.

97 TJ - 4" lift
1.25 BL, 1" MML
slip joint style CV rear drive shaft.
33's
post #7 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
mlm808it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Are you doing most of the work - or is a "shop"?

Junkyard axles or something like Dynatrac/Currie/Spider etc?

Inferior slapped together suspension with joke dynamics or something excellent?

Beadlocks?

Hydro assist?
I'm pretty capable of doing most of the work myself.. and for the tougher stuff I always have JF As far as axles I wouldn't mind rebuilding a junkyard to slim down the pricing, but for other things I feel buying new and from a reputable brand would be much better..(for instance I'm not going to buy rough country suspension from my buddy down the street who just took them off his jeep

97 TJ, 2.5L, 4.56
post #8 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
mlm808it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
"Strictly offroad" implies that it will not be street legal and/or it will not be done well enough to be safe on the road. Either way, that sounds awfully boring. Part of the fun is having a Jeep that performs fantastic off the road while performing equally fantastic on the road. Being able to drive to and from the trail confidently instead of relying on a trailer is awesome. With that said, being on that level with 37's will cost you the price of the TJ + about $15k minimum and that's if you do it just right the first time and do all of the work yourself.
First off Imped I bow down to you good Sir. I've read about 50% of your build thread by now. Hopefully I can learn as much as you did, and build just as sweet of a rig! I honestly had never thought of that, I just figured that since I would be on wider axles and enormous tires I would be forced to go the "strictly offroad" route. You have planted an idea I may have to tinker with..

97 TJ, 2.5L, 4.56
post #9 of 27 Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
mlm808it
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetolleyman View Post
I purchased a 97' TJ in September, did all the work myself, did not go too crazy, and I've spent around $9K, not including the original purchase price. I'll post my mods later if you like.
Nice! Hoping to move at a quick pace as well. Hoping wife doesn't kill me.

97 TJ, 2.5L, 4.56
post #10 of 27 Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It will cost as much as you as you can spend. You could easily spend 50k on you tow rig. Find a jeep you like and see what it cost to build.

I will agree with Imped today. When I first got my jeep I spent allot on it. I bought a new jeep for about 20k and over the next year or so I probably sunk anther 15 to 20k into it.

Know heading out to the park and driving over the biggest obstacle I can and then racing home to see how I can get over a bigger one just does excite me. Now I would rather figure out how to fit fishing gear, my boys, some food and camping gear.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #11 of 27 Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm808it View Post
Nice! Hoping to move at a quick pace as well. Hoping wife doesn't kill me.
If your wife isn't on board with you spending thousands and thousands and thousands... on your jeep your build will probably cost you your marriage.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #12 of 27 Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 AM
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
If your wife isn't on board with you spending thousands and thousands and thousands... on your jeep your build will probably cost you your marriage.
Hilarious and true.

My fiancÚ knows and supports my jeep habits. I can't imagine having a wife who doesn't support jeeping. That would probably make spending hundreds of dollars at a time on parts a bit more painful than it has to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm808it View Post
First off Imped I bow down to you good Sir. I've read about 50% of your build thread by now. Hopefully I can learn as much as you did, and build just as sweet of a rig! I honestly had never thought of that, I just figured that since I would be on wider axles and enormous tires I would be forced to go the "strictly offroad" route. You have planted an idea I may have to tinker with..
Then that means you're not even to the good stuff yet and have seen the past iterations that I now consider a "waste." But, it also allowed me to gain knowledge on what works, what doesn't and why that is.

Wider axles + enormous tires (37's aren't enormous) doesn't mean your Jeep will drive poorly. My Jeep, which is on 65" JKR axles and 37's, steers better, brakes better, handles better, and accelerates better than it ever has. Do not allow your Jeep's performance suffer....it doesn't have to.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #14 of 27 Old 05-15-2016, 12:35 PM
1320yj

I bought my YJ 3 1/2 years ago do all the work my self. Paid $1500 for the Jeep and now I am into it at the tune Of $12k +.

1995 2.5 5 Speed SOA +2.5 rough Country lift, High steer kit , 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
post #15 of 27 Old 05-15-2016, 03:00 PM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
The first rule of JeepClub... do NOT talk about what it costs to be a member of JeepClub

Hoss
Somethings are better off not being admitted to.
avatr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.