How to get my Jeep ready for storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > How to get my Jeep ready for storage

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How to get my Jeep ready for storage

I am going to college in 3 weeks. I am leaving my jeep home for the first semester and it will not be driven at all.

What do I need to do to make sure that it will run fine after I store it for a while.

Another thing is that my Jeep will need an oil change right as I leave. Should I do the oil change before I leave, after I come back, or does it not matter?

Thanks, guys.

kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A semister isn't that long. I'd put a trickle charger on the battery and that's about it. Will it be outside or in a garage?
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As pointed out, a semester isn't that long. If you can, have someone start it up and take it for a spin, enough to work it up to operating temp (including the exhaust) once a week or two. If you can't, and you don't have a trickle charger, just unhook the battery so the electronics don't drain it over the quarter (radio presets and clock, for instance). Put fuel injector cleaner in with the last tank of gas when you top it off before storage. It is a better gas preservative than Sta-bil, as per the advice of the power equipment dealer who rebuilt my snow thrower's carb and fuel system a few years ago. No rebuilds since, and it starts on one or two pulls every time, I think I used it three days this past winter--cleaning up after a single block-buster Nor'easter dumped 3' on us (one day for each foot?!). For such short term storage, IDK if putting it up on jack-stands is worth the effort to prevent flat spots forming on the tires from sitting. I don't think I'd bother but someone with more experience or knowledge than I might chime-in.

Good luck at school!
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would do the oil change if your due. Rather have it sitting with new clean oil instead of old dirty stuff.

And like asked above, inside or outside. If outside, I would get some kind of cover to protect the finish and top.
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fresh oil change, disconnect the batter and a car cover. Check tire pressures and your off to college no problems.

When you return charge the battery overnight hook it up and away you go.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

About the car cover, be advised that you can trap moisture inside the Jeep if the cover is left on for long periods of time. My dad left a car cover on a newer mustang convertible for several months. When I took it off for him, opened the car up, there was mold everywhere. It was a pain in the *** to get rid of.

Best bet, keep it in a garage or rent a spot in a garage.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.