How to fix surface rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > How to fix surface rust?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How to fix surface rust?

I recently removed the chrome grill on my 05 and was greatly dismayed to see that rust was forming behind the overlay on the grill. How can I fix this? I'd like to do something myself now to keep it from getting worse and then in the spring have it professionally fixed or at least repainted after I do the prep work. Any tips would be appreciated.

Unread 12-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sand prime paint
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sand it smooth and to where there is no more rust, clean it up(reducer, paint thinner), tape up, prime it, wet sand, get some paint matching spray paint (they sell it at auto zone, i believe your paint code is px8 but that could be wrong), paint with paint match 2 coats, 1 coat of clear coat, then wet sand everything smooth including the original paint beside it.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Would CLR take off surface rust?
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

CLR is for removing rust stains. It won't do anything for the actual rust.
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sand. Prime. Paint. Repeat.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Idwheelthat
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I recently removed the chrome grill on my 05 and was greatly dismayed to see that rust was forming behind the overlay on the grill. How can I fix this? I'd like to do something myself now to keep it from getting worse and then in the spring have it professionally fixed or at least repainted after I do the prep work. Any tips would be appreciated.

degreasing, sanding to get most of rust off, and a rust converting paint or primer will work, but most require room temperature for 12 to 24 hours to do the trick. It may be just worth it do it properly now or get a quote.
Idwheelthat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Grats on losing the chrome grill.
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idwheelthat View Post
degreasing, sanding to get most of rust off, and a rust converting paint or primer will work, but most require room temperature for 12 to 24 hours to do the trick. It may be just worth it do it properly now or get a quote.
i repainted my whole grill for less than 100 bucks, with a spray gun, it just requires a ton of work. and sanding that grill is a pain in the butt

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.