how capable is a stock jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > how capable is a stock jeep?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Jeepkid09
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how capable is a stock jeep?

I have heard that a stock jeep can do lots of things, especially a tj sport, is that true? What can it all do?

sorry about the spelling errors

Last edited by Jeepkid09; 07-08-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Jeepkid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
TJ Clay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What is a capaabel?
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
BamaLonghorn
1980 CJ7 

When mine was stock on 30" gsa's it was more capable than I thought it would be. I was extremely careful though since it was stock and everything was lower to the ground. If you are looking at not doing a lift I would at least do a BB and get on at least 32" tires. But take it out see what it can do and go from there with your modifications. Thats what I did.
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport - SOLD
1979 Jeep CJ-5 - Sold
1980 Jeep CJ-7
BamaLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
outdoorlivin247
1974 CJ5 

Yank the sway bar links, find a friend and go for a ride...Just make sure the both of you don't get stuck...
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Dans95ZJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will be surprised what it can do.
Put 'er in low and take off over the river and through the woods.
Climbs well! Even better, goes down well!
Good idea to 'yank the sway bar links' ^ if it gets hairy and you need some articulation.

Have fun!

Dan
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Jesus, some of the spelling on this forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
relic06
1997 TJ Wrangler 

man mine is still stock....

ITS AMAZING!!!
relic06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Hogwild
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeepkid09,

I know that I have been ragging on you lately (red rims and 2.5" BB questions)

I will give you some free advice. Join a local Jeep club (there has got to be some in your area), get out and wheel your Jeep as much as possible. This forum is a great tool, but it will only go so far in your development as a true "Jeeper." A Jeep is a awesome vehicle, even when it is stock, but I don't know how to answer your question in a forum. Off-roading is a skill, no matter how capable your rig is a lot of it is the "skill" of the driver...so get out and wheel it and you will be able to answer your own question.
[FONT="Verdana"]1997 TJ, Sport 4.0, 4" TeraFlex, Warn bumpers and rockers, Warn winch w/Winchline synthetic line, 33" BFG MT, Super 35 with Detroit Locker, 4.56 gears, Currie Anti-Rock, Currie HD Steering, Viking Soft Top.
Hogwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
PyroXian
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Jeepkid09,

I know that I have been ragging on you lately (red rims and 2.5" BB questions)

I will give you some free advice. Join a local Jeep club (there has got to be some in your area), get out and wheel your Jeep as much as possible. This forum is a great tool, but it will only go so far in your development as a true "Jeeper." A Jeep is a awesome vehicle, even when it is stock, but I don't know how to answer your question in a forum. Off-roading is a skill, no matter how capable your rig is a lot of it is the "skill" of the driver...so get out and wheel it and you will be able to answer your own question.
+1
Jeeps are extremely capable when stock, provided the driver has at least rudimentary skills, something which CANNOT be learned online.
PyroXian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
bail315
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Even a stock jeep is very capable. Take it out and you will learn where you and the vehicles capabilites meet. Just get out, get dirty and have fun! That's why we all own them.
bail315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid09 View Post
I have heard that a stock jeep can do lots of things, especially a tj sport, is that true? What can it all do?

sorry about the spelling errors
Yah man their capable excellent for mall parking lots, once you kick it in 4WD you can make it over the curb and not wait in the line up also to leave the parking lot! And dont even get me started on the TJ sports!!

sorry lol just kidding, no their very capable when i got my TJ, stock with like 28" tires i couldnt believe the places i went with it!
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

mine got me to 13,132 ft with a 31s and lots of armor:

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A stock Jeep is much like a stock rifle in that they are (in most cases) more capable than their new users. I've been constantly amazed at what mine will do. Find a club, take it slow and over time you'll discover the mods that will benefit you the most as opposed to those that look super cool in the ads. So far as mods go I recommend folks think about protecting themselves (safety), their investment (mods to avoid expensive repairs), their time (avoid lengthy/aggravating repairs/stucks) and then look at improving performance (since it's already so very capable to begin with).

Just my 2 cents worth.
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
Jesus, some of the spelling on this forum...
Use Mozilla Firefox and ditch Internet Explorer. It is free and more secure since hackers usually don't look for ways to poke exploit holes in open source software--Bill Gates is a more attractive target.

Misspelled words in your posts will be underlined in red--right click on the word and it will give you suggestions for the misspelled word.

2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited-Current Vehicle
325/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT XD Addicts
2.5 inch BB, 1.25 RC Body Lift, Dual Top
s
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.