Hot Oil Message in Dash -2009 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Hot Oil Message in Dash -2009 JK

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hot Oil Message in Dash -2009 JK

Hi Guys,

today I had the first outing with my brand new Rubicon und after leaving paved road we were climbing a road up a mountain. After not only 4 Miles I got the message in the dash: hot oil. I checked the manual but this message does not exist so the big question here, what oil is hot? Trans? Engin? Fryer?
After stopping for around 3 Minutes it was gone and never came back, not even when we were crawling for 2 hours around Poker Flat in CA. Any input? It's odd that the manual does not even know the message.

Thanks

darg

Unread 09-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That indicates the transmission is over heating.

As the prelude to a potential fire as others have posted.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on what alexia said. I would invest in a Transmission cooler asap.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I must be tired - I read that topic as "hot oil massage in dash" and was thinking, "WHAT??" (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have never heard of that message. Maybe it is the trans fluid? I know with the '07-'08, when the trans fluid got hot, all we get is a single chime sound, and nothing else. Confuses many people because it's always "what the hell was that chime" and then nothing on the dash. So maybe the '09's they finally give you a visual indicator to go along with it???

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I have never heard of that message. Maybe it is the trans fluid? I know with the '07-'08, when the trans fluid got hot, all we get is a single chime sound, and nothing else. Confuses many people because it's always "what the hell was that chime" and then nothing on the dash. So maybe the '09's they finally give you a visual indicator to go along with it???
Yes, is started with 2009.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
1997_Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
I must be tired - I read that topic as "hot oil massage in dash" and was thinking, "WHAT??" (:
I actually thought the exact same thing, i figured he bought it new from the dealer and there was a bottle of massage oil in the dash. haha

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hot tranny fluid, interesting. I was asking the dealer as I bought the car last week if the tranny has a cooler and according to their tech-guy it is couppled with the radiator now. I will investigate that, otherwise I will get one in.

The message was popping up when I was going with lower RPM up a road. I would expect the oil is getting hotter, when crawling up steep hills or similar, what you think?

darg
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darg View Post
Hot tranny fluid, interesting. I was asking the dealer as I bought the car last week if the tranny has a cooler and according to their tech-guy it is couppled with the radiator now. I will investigate that, otherwise I will get one in.

The message was popping up when I was going with lower RPM up a road. I would expect the oil is getting hotter, when crawling up steep hills or similar, what you think?

darg
Those conditions involve lots of churning of the torque converter, so it is not surprising. Keep it in low gears rather than let it upshift and it will stay cooler.

When I drove my old YJ across country I put in a gage. I found that hills were the big thing. Going 65+ across the hot Utah desert didn't do much at all, climbing Loveland pass in high gear did (I downshifted a gear and the temperature came down).
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

So low RPM but high load like an uphill is heating more than higher RPM but slow speed, got it. I will check the cooler and put one in just in case.

Thanks
Unread 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post

X2
bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darg View Post
All JK's have that cooler, and its really inadequate. Which is why quite a few people install larger coolers.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

darq where you in 4hi or low? it will run cooler in 4low and you prob wont have the issue in 4low at all, though a tranny cooler is not a bad idea. I have one on mine B&M 70268.

the tranny ding for the 07-08 happens at 240, I believe tranny fluid boils or burns at 252-254ish, I forget. the jk's all have a tranny cooler built into the botttom 1/4 of the a/c condensor which is in front of the radiator. its airflow is mostly blocked by the front bumper, not to brilliant IMO. Plus that is says right in the owners manual if you experience hot temps to put in a additional cooler, which only means they know their crap is inadequate. It will be interesting to see what the NTSB finds in their investigation on whether or not the tranny overheating is causing fires.
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I was in 4Hi and we were going relativly slow, around 20 to 30 mph with auto in D. At first I had just a ding but no message, after 3 minutes later I got a ding and the message. The radiator fan was screaming at full power. We stopped and we looked up the manual on the trail. It took us maybe 5 minutes till we gave up, the message was gone and the radiator fan was off again.
I'm not sure but since the car is brand new, is this cooler all times in the loop or is it coupled to a thermostat? If yes, it might be that the loop to the cooler was never open and not properly primed so that it took a moment to let ATF in it and do it's work. Since I was driving for a while longer in the same manner and it never came back. I had something like that on an Alfa Romeo GTV after an engine rebuilt but just with normal motor oil temperature.
What cooler would you recommend? I found some in the 4WD catalog for around $130 to $150. Where would be a mounting place since the engine bay is pretty full.
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #15
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I need a tranny cooler too. Looking for good, specific info on what to install. A writeup would be nice too (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.