Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Honestly, was the YJ Jeep a "well-made" vehicle?

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Axl Jack 
#1 ·
This question is for YJ owners.

We all love our Jeeps.

But I want to ask if we can say it was a well-made vehicle or does our love, affection, tinkering and mods shill for design flaws.

Mechanically, from a truthful, unbiased perspective, how do you think the YJ Jeep ranks amongst American automobiles overall?

#2 ·
Well kept, I think the 92-95 YJ's were very well built. It is hard to compare to a modern Jeep or car for that matter but I do think the later YJ's were the best of both worlds. Newer engine etc but the old rugged interior.

#3 ·
Well, I believe in the old saying, “they don’t make ‘em like they used to.”
I’m sure the die hard CJ guys will hate me for this, but I think the YJ is just a perfected CJ.
Same basic rugged, ultra simple design, with just the right amount of modern touches like fuel injection, and a boxed frame thrown in to make it better.

#4 ·
Well, I believe in the old saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to."
I'm sure the die hard CJ guys will hate me for this, but I think the YJ is just a perfected CJ.
Same basic rugged, ultra simple design, with just the right amount of modern touches like fuel injection, and a boxed frame thrown in to make it better.
Ditto! :thumbsup:

'91 & newer YJ's are by far my favorite Jeeps, mostly for the same reasons that muddy93 listed!

:cheers2:

#6 ·
I agree with exactly what people are saying here, enough newer technology to make them a great vehicle, without so much thrown in it becomes cumbersome to work on or prone to problems.

#8 ·
I had my 92 YJ for almost 8 years with no problems at all. Pretty much stock and didn't do any extreem off roading but from a stock mechanical point it was great. The least amount of problems of all my vehicals so far.

#10 ·
[...]
But I want to ask if we can say it was a well-made vehicle
[...]
Mechanically, from a truthful, unbiased perspective, how do you think the YJ Jeep ranks amongst American automobiles overall?
Check out the recent rash of "How many miles on your odometer" threads.
Consistant reports of 150k, 190k, 250k, 300k and up.
That speaks for itself right there.

#11 ·
I wouldn't necessarily say they're well-made, in the same way, say, a BMW is well-made. They're reliable because they're built out of simple, durable and reliable parts-which is definitely an advantage in and of itself.

#12 ·
My 94 YJ was a work horse. Beat on it all weekend on the trails and put on the suit a tie for work on Monday
It was a well built vehicle. Very capable.

My TJ is also a well built vehicle, I beat the crap out of this one as well, more so even. It is just a bit refined compared to the YJ.

#13 ·
From a quality standpoint, I don't think the Wrangler in general is a well-made vehicle. I believe the Wrangler has recieved the lowest quality rating (Vs. other vehicles) from consumers over the years.
Total miles does not determine a well-made vehicle. A Wrangler with that many miles is sure to degrade more overall than most vehicles.

#15 ·
I believe the Wrangler has recieved the lowest quality rating (Vs. other vehicles) from consumers over the years.
I think you have satisfaction ratings confused with quality ratings. Customer satisfaction ratings have always been low. This is because too many people who own SUVs trade them in for the more off road capable wrangler and then discover that they do not ride like a luxury SUV, or are as quiet as a Luxury SUV, nor are they as comfortable as a Luxury SUV.

The real problem is the assumption that a Wrangler is an SUV, when it is really a Utility Vehicle... ...a UV.

#18 ·
WOW

I just went through JD Power's site and could find nothing older then model year 2000 :dunno:

Went to Edmonds.com and could not even find a rating for a YJ! :dunno:

This site is giving the new wranglers 4.34 out of 5 with 356 reviews :dunno:
http://www.carreview.com/mfr/jeep/suv/PRD_105_1524crx.aspx

Just trying to figure out where you are getting your information and why so many people seem to feel differently then you do?

I'll keep looking for the negative reliability ratings you are talking about. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
I have a 91 and a 93 and love them both. Reliability can be a relative term. It depends on what you expect out of the vehicle. Bang for the buck, you cant beat 'em. My best friend has a 00 TJ (nice unit too) and has had more elec/mech issues than I have had w/ both of them combined. Gotta agree with the "UV" utility vehicle designation. These were in the orig form designed for military and farm use. They were never meant for "bodily" comfort. Just comfort for the soul:p

#19 ·
I agree with everybody else here. Just like to add that a lot of parts are interchangeable across the board. Even some TJ stuff will work on them. I have put mine through the wringer and it has held up pretty well.

#21 ·
Take a look at the number of high mileage YJ's on the road today and look at the resale values compared to other vehicles of the same model year. When you take into consideration some of the rough handling and abuse that Jeeps are exposed to during their service cycle you will feel better about the YJ as a well designed, durable and yes- well built vehicle. A Jeep is not a BMW and to those who can make a viable comparison have no idea what a Jeep is all about. For most of us, owning a Jeep is a very different experience that owning other cars. Jeep ownership can be more of a lifestyle, similar to owning a Harley as was mentioned by another poster.

#22 ·
Another point: The simplicity of the YJ. A lot less stuff to go wrong. And when something does go wrong.... at least there's ROOM to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.