Homemade Bike rack anyone? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Homemade Bike rack anyone?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #31
liveadv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmcd View Post
just finished it up yesterday, two muffler clamps and a fork mount... for the rear im getting a rear tire bracket to strap it down. but for now bungee works fine on to pics my roll bar got scratched so you can put some padding between the bar and clamp i didnt care. im also getting a summer top so it works all summer

this is exactly what i was thinking about doing with my bikes. are you happy with how it works? easy to load/unload?

Unread 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #32
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveadv View Post
this is exactly what i was thinking about doing with my bikes. are you happy with how it works? easy to load/unload?

hears an update, it rocks! it puts a crease in the bikini top but works fine. kind of a pain when you got a dirty bike after a long ride trying to jimmy it up on the lifted jeep. but i freaking love it! im going to be putting another one on the other side for my friend since we use the jeep to bike since its dirty anyway.

im making something new for the hardtop. i dk what i wana do yet but i have a month or 2 to think of one.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Step one: Remove spare tire.
Step two: Place doily on top of tire carrier.
Step three: Place bike on tire carrier, secure with bungee chords.
Step four: Drink beer and be happy

ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #34
fdkss03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

how hard would this be to put on there with the sound bar there?

Element Offroad/MD Jeeps
fdkss03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #35
Mickey650b
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fabricating a Cheap MTB Hitch Rack

A few years ago I decided to start carrying my mountain bike on the front of my Jeep. There's a lot of reasons why I wanted to move it up front... less weight on the tailgate of the Jeep, I didn't like the Jeep options for rear hitch racks and I didn't like the tire mounted racks. But most of all, it was the bumper riders who convinced me that carrying the bike in the rear... wasn't for me.
I spent a few weeks researching various hitch racks trying to find one that fit the bill, but had no luck. So I finally decided, I'll make my own hitch rack.
So back to drawing board I began sketching out what it would look like, how I'd mount the front fork, how I'd secure the rear tire and what I'd build it from. I did quite a bit of browsing around Home Depot and Lowes for steel, ran through a variety of sketches and nothing seemed to work out financially... everything I came up with was just going to cost way too much to worth the trouble. So I mauled it over for a few months... working it over in my mind and researching tubing options. I finally decided the cheapest solution would be to buy someone's used rack, cut it up and weld it back to my specs and rack needs.
I then started browsing Ebay for any used rack options. During my Ebay searches I kept coming across "truck Bed Extenders" and they could be had very cheaply. So I found one listed for $24.00 and placed a bid. A few days later I had won it and a week later I had my 2" square tubing lined up.

With my 2" hitch tubing lined up, I now had to figure out where to go next in building my bike rack. The Truck Bed Extender sat in my garage for about two weeks while I mauled the design some more and after a lot of thought I had it figured out and on paper.
So I jumped in the Jeep and drove to Home Depot, picked up an 8' x 1.625" and a 4' x .75" long round steel pipe, some primer paint and flat black texture paint. Next I ran by the LBS and picked up a fork mount and headed back home. Back home I determined how long I needed the 2" square tubing for the hitch and cut it to length (18"). I then cut the 8' round steel pipe to 51" and cut a second piece to 5". Next I used a saws-all and cut (rounded inward) one end of the 51" round pipe to except the 5" fork piece. I clamped the 5" piece to end of the (51") piece of round pipe and welding it up for the fork mount. Next bored a (1.75") hole through both sides of the 2" square tubing and ground down the rough edges. With my 2" square tubing prepared, I then slipped the 1.625" round tubing into the 2" square tubing and started welding it up.
I now had a nice "T" shaped mount for my bike rack, but I still needed a method to secure the rear tire of the bike. That's where the .75" round steel tubing came into play. I cut the 4' x .75" steel pipe to (32") and used a blow torch to heat up the center of the steel and make it easy to bend around my 51" x 1.625" round steel tubing. Once the center of the (32") of steel was nice and hot, I place it under the 1.625" tubing and bent it around and upward until it was the same width from top to bottom. With the steel hot as it was, it was very easy to wrap around the 1.625" round steel tubing. I then drilled a .25" hole through the rear tire mount and bolted it up.
With everything welded up and ready, I covered it with primer and the texture flat back paint I had picked up a Home Depot. The next day I installed the fork mount and used a strap from an older bike rack I had to insure the rear tire doesn't bounce out of the rear tire mount while going down the road.
All in all I've got something like $74.00 wrapped up in the whole thing and it's stronger than any other rack I've ever owned or seen to date. Note: the Yakima Wheel carrier was added after I made this and is not included in the over all Fabrication cost.
About a year ago I came across a guy who owned a Hollywood Pro Rider Rack and after staring at it for about 10 minutes, I figured it may be a good solution for a front mount bike rack too. So I picked one up on ebay and when it arrive, it required a minor modifcation to the hitch tubing and was ready to use within 15 mintues. The Modification I made to it was to take a lenght of the 2" square hitch tubing I had left over from my "Truck Extender Rack" and mount it to the Hollywood rack instead of the 2" hitch tubing that came with the Hollywood Rack. I did this because the Hollywood Rack hitch tubing is offset and either set the bike too high or too low once mounted. Using a straight 2" hitch tubing set it at the right hiegth and worked like a charm.
Here are some snap shots of the rack and my material list:
8'x1.625" round steel tubing (Home Depot)
4'x.75" round steel tubing (Home Depot)
Can of Primer and Textured Flat black spray paint (Home Depot)
1 - .25" Nut/bolt with two washers (Home Depot)
Truck Bed Extender (purchased off ebay)
Fork mount (pick up a LBS)

Unread 06-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #36
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

BMX bikes fit nicley in the back! havnt use it to move the MTB bike yet. but id figure id get a saris rack ( i like how the reciver gets bolted in so it doesnt wiggle much and make noise)
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought the Yakima spare tire bike rack that holds two bikes. It's pretty stout, but I'm not crazy that the only thing securing it to the rack are two Velcro straps. Otherwise it's a easy to use and very low profile rack.
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #38
fdkss03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmcd View Post
just finished it up yesterday, two muffler clamps and a fork mount... for the rear im getting a rear tire bracket to strap it down. but for now bungee works fine on to pics my roll bar got scratched so you can put some padding between the bar and clamp i didnt care. im also getting a summer top so it works all summer

I tried to use this method but it didnt work out... I have the soundbar where you mounted the fork mount, so I put it toward the front. Then the caliper on the fork would hit the top of the roll cage. Any other ideas to do it this way and still be able to put the top up?

Element Offroad/MD Jeeps
fdkss03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #39
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdkss03 View Post
I tried to use this method but it didnt work out... I have the soundbar where you mounted the fork mount, so I put it toward the front. Then the caliper on the fork would hit the top of the roll cage. Any other ideas to do it this way and still be able to put the top up?

you will need to take apic of your setup i never messed with a sound bar.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #40
Jpd512
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my bike rack

I have a carrier that mounts into my hitch, so I wanted a bike rack to mount to it. I took a piece of 2 inch square tubing and inserted it into the back of the carrier. I made a rectangle box and put it on top of the 2 inch square tubing. I had to make a brace to support the box. I then mounted two yakima trays that I had in the shop on top of it. The bike rack sits directly above my cargo carrier so that it does not extend out 4 miles. The top of the bikes are about a foot above the top of my jeep. It looks pretty cool. I had the scrap materials laying around. You could also mount any receiver bike rack into the back of your cargo carrier. I tried to upload the pictures but was unable to. I tried to attach the files, but I wasn't sure if will work. The first picture is without the Yakima racks on it. Im not a welder so I had to bolt most of it together. The part I did weld his horrible, but it works great
bike-rack.jpg   bike-rack-bikes.jpg  
Jpd512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thule has one for $200. I just got one and it even comes with a lock,so you can lock your bike on your jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.