Homemade Bike rack anyone? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Homemade Bike rack anyone?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a 1" OD piece of electrical conduit for a different Jeep project. It's fairly thick, and I am going to make a bike rack that bolts on between the lug nuts and the spare tire, out of that tubing. I have no concept or designs right now, but it's an idea.

ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #17
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i didn't like the rear tire. its easy but i think its to much weight for tailgate, also i like having my bike above for safety and lastly i have it mounted in the rear so no mud falls on me with the design above it seems liek u need to take it off to put top on. i can keep mine on all year and doesnt require welding and tubes.

i get the fork mount tomorrow and i will be happy to show u my design! cost to make my design work so far, 27.00 25 for clips and 2 bucks for muffler clamps. i have my teacher getting me a rear mount for my rear tire.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
JeepinRRT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I made a cargo rack for the reciever out of 2 inch angle iron. I used expanded metal for the floor and it works great. Last summer I needed a bike rack for my specialized hard rock sport (lol a wall mart cheapie comapred to some of your steeds). So I went to the bike shop and got one of those clamps that hold the forks when the wheel is off and I bolted that to the outside of my rack. Then I just throw the front wheel in the back of the jeep. It works great and cost i think $17? really cheap for something that works great. If you dont have a rack already ( I aasume you dont) You can easily make a bike specific rack in this model very easily. Just run square tubing out of your hitch. Then branch off with angle turned up to accept the rear wheel and mount the clamp on the other end. Sorry for the length and less than stellar articulation of this concept but I will try to get you some pics later today or tomorrow.
JKS Disco's, Infinity's in the pods
JeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i guess it all depends on your jeeps set up. for more trail worthy then street worthy lol. was your reciver in your bumper or directly to frame?? since mine was on the bumper it bounces to much to put any kind of rack on it.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
JeepinRRT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a curt 2in receiver bolted to the frame
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #21
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just finished it up yesterday, two muffler clamps and a fork mount... for the rear im getting a rear tire bracket to strap it down. but for now bungee works fine on to pics my roll bar got scratched so you can put some padding between the bar and clamp i didnt care. im also getting a summer top so it works all summer

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
aaronc88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice i might just have to barrow that design

jeep
aaronc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats a really sweet idea.I drive a unlimited so i dont know if the length with work in my favor or against me. But i have a spare fork mount so i will definately have to try that. It looks pretty B.A. too.
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
silvergoat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is a pic of the bracket I use, its made by FOURTREKS, and is designed to work with a Yakima Deadhead mount. They make differant size collars depending on the size tubing of your cage or rollbar.

There's the right wheelbase for every obstacle and the right obstacle for every wheelbase.
silvergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #25
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im glad someone also got the idea! it seemed so cool i had to share the idea. when i go biking every one looks and i got a few compliments

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #26
JeepinRRT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks Good! I may have to modify my design when I have my top off to this.
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #27
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

50 bucks for that clamp plus shipping or 3 bucks for muffler clamps ill stick with the m/c lol i guess it would work though

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #28
Mickey650b
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I built a bike rack for the front of my Jeep for about $74.00 to hold me over until I figured out a better solution. Here I am about 3 or 4 years later still using it. It's not pretty, but it's stout! Basically I purchased a cheap receiver rack of ebay, picked up some round steel tubing, bored a hole through the receive hitch tubing and slid the round tubing right through it and welded it up. I can rock the entire Jeep standing on either end of this rack.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the bike could take a rock hit from vehicles in front of me, but I usually keep my distance from the guy in front of me anyhow. Plus I've been rear-ended by other drivers 5 times over the years... so I don't have much faith in the idea of carrying a bike on the rear of my Jeep.

I did carry the bike on the roof at first... that is until I drove my Jeep into the garage with the bike still on top. That was a lousy day!

This homemade bike rack does a good job and it's definitely the best and most solid rack I've ever had, but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it and would really like to put my bike in between the spare tire and the Jeep.

Last edited by Mickey650b; 04-24-2009 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: posting a picture of bike rack.
Mickey650b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #29
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i also like the behind the tire rack.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #30
surfsup887
2003 TJ Wrangler 

heres a a link and a picture of a guys homemade bike rack:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...bike-rack.html

Built Not Bought #133
Looking for a 33 in R16 tire any condition in MA or RI
surfsup887 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.