Homemade Bike rack anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Homemade Bike rack anyone?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Homemade Bike rack anyone?

My new mountain bike needs a spot on the back of my jeep. But after spending all my money on the bike i dont have any more to spend for a rack. And $100+ for a bent piece of tubing and some bolts here and there seems kinda ridiculous in my book. so if anyone has pictures or advice of any homemade racks or homemade hitch recievers (which i also need to carry the bike) post em up. Lets see your handy work!

Unread 12-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
builder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How much did you spend on a bike? My bike rack was almost $300, I didn't trust over $1000 dollers in bikes dangling off the back of my Jeep on a low cost rack. But that said I had a reciever rack with a bike adapter, but you still need to count on bunge cords to keep the bikes on.
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
How much did you spend on a bike? My bike rack was almost $300, I didn't trust over $1000 dollers in bikes dangling off the back of my Jeep on a low cost rack. But that said I had a reciever rack with a bike adapter, but you still need to count on bunge cords to keep the bikes on.
its a cannondale F4. so its a pretty expesive bike
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought this one, haven't used it yet though. 4 bikes, made for vehicles with a spare on the back. on sale for $140, free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Deluxe-V...138697&sr=8-17
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am very into Biking, Both my Mountain Bike and Road bike cost well over $2000 each, do your really want to see your bike bouncing down the highway behind you because you didn't want to send an extra $200 on a thule Bike rack?
Hinch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Woolecox
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am like you; I love to build, fabricate, weld, etc. things that I want/need. The problem is that unless you get the materials from scrap you already have on hand there surely will not be any cost savings. If you have the saws, torches, notcher, tubing benders, welders (steel or aluminum capable), skill, etc. then I would say go for it.

Otherwise, if you have to buy the steel or aluminum, rubber mounts, tie downs, etc. then you would be money ahead to just go ahead and buy a decent Thule, Yakima, etc. I would get one that swings out of the way so you have access to your back seat area.

I am looking to buy one myself. I refuse to buy Chinese crap so let me know if you find a decent one made in the USA. If not, I will build one too!
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Kevinstravels
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
I am like you; I love to build, fabricate, weld, etc. things that I want/need. The problem is that unless you get the materials from scrap you already have on hand there surely will not be any cost savings. If you have the saws, torches, notcher, tubing benders, welders (steel or aluminum capable), skill, etc. then I would say go for it.

Otherwise, if you have to buy the steel or aluminum, rubber mounts, tie downs, etc. then you would be money ahead to just go ahead and buy a decent Thule, Yakima, etc. I would get one that swings out of the way so you have access to your back seat area.

I am looking to buy one myself. I refuse to buy Chinese crap so let me know if you find a decent one made in the USA. If not, I will build one too!
ill let you know!
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Dionysus
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
I too would like to buy one. I am in the research phase, and would prefer a rack built in the USA. Where were those that you mentioned built? Let us know what you find. I only have two bikes to transport, and that is on rare occasions. For the most part, I ride locally.

Dionysus.
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
angryjohnny
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In a pinch I have taken the spare tire off and set the cross bar of the bike on the lip that the tire carrier provides then bungee corded it to the tire carrier.
Now I only did it to get my bike from my house to the trail head and I was going straight there and back so it getting stolen was not a concerne but it wouldent be hard to fab up a locking mechanisim I wouldent do this method and leave my bike unattended. this was just to get my bike to the trail
AJ
angryjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Rivercliff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

homemade (sorta) Jeep rack

Friend of mine saw this fork mount system on a Jeep in Moab - I planned to make one like it, but have never done it. I usually throw my bike in the back (when the top is off).

An option for a receiver hitch style system - friend of mine did this - is to mount fork holders and a short tray for the rear wheel on top of a steel basket style carrier for your receiver hitch. This is more expensive than a regular rack, but at least you get two items for less money.
Unread 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bike Rack

I purchased a Schwinn bike carrier designed to attach on the trunk of a car. After getting it home, the box states the rack is not meant for use on a spare tire. However, it does fit perfectly on the spare tire on my YJ. I don't have a really expensive bike but it is a Trek in the $700 range. By the way, the rack was $40 at Target. After looking the rack over carefully, I can see how easy it would be to build using 3/4 E.M.T.-electrical conduit and am thinking of going ahead and building one myself.
09 GMC(work truck)
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
zac87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

wow apparently we have a lot of bikers here! I ride a $500 GT Avalanche MTB. Last time I went to the trail I pushed my passenger seat up, took off the front wheel, and stuffed her in the jeep...kinda sucky but i don't have a rack or trust a cheap one
'97 TJ, 4.0L 5 speed, locker in front, Skyjacker 4in suspension, BFG AT 33x12.5, black cragar soft 8's, Bushwacker flares, Quick dicos, hardtop/doors, Safari doors, 2002 wrangler seats, tube bumpers front and rear, Skyjacker steering stabilizer, Tuffy glove box, cheap foglights, new paint ;)

SOLD: '88 YJ, 4.2L 5 speed, 31 bogs, KC fogs, herculined inside, straight piped
zac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ok do yourself a favor and buy a thule or yakima or saris rack. the saris spare tire rack has an optional longer brack to fit oversize tires, it also doubles as a spare tire lock. i run a bike shop and can't even begin to tell you the nightmares i've seen of the years of homemade or ebay special racks or walmart racks for that matter, they just are not safe.

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i know this is an old thread but you can do a bike rack like said above without the rails and welding. you need two things 1 a truck fork mount. and 2 two muffler clamps. i picked up two of them at ace 2 1/4 i mounted the clamps and the fork holder right behind my seat on the roll bar and then strap down the rear tire to my high lift in back. this works well for me since im going buy a bikini top for summer. just thought i add it in case anyone likes the idea

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
skiahh
2009 JK Wrangler 

Same boat here. Can you guys who have the different racks post up pictures? I thought I put up a picture request yesterday in the appropriate thread, but it's gone. Since this one appeared (was resurrected), may as well put it all here.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.