High mileage new Wrangler vs. Low mileage older wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > High mileage new Wrangler vs. Low mileage older wrangler

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
tristyler

High mileage new Wrangler vs. Low mileage older wrangler

I'm in the market for my first Wrangler and I can't decide between 2 that I like. One is a '04 Wrangler X Sport with 145k miles. The other is a '97 4cyl 2.5 with about 75k miles on it. The high mileage on the '04 scares me a bit, but it's priced about $1500 under kbb because the guy is leaving the country this week. Is the high mileage going to be an issue sooner rather than later?

Any experienced wrangler owners care to throw in their 2c?

tristyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe a touch on the high side but I wouldn't consider that super high on the 04. Personally at 136k on one two years younger. I'll probably be at 175k in two more years (same age that one is now). Realistically it boils down to where the jeep has lived its life (e.g. desert of southern california v. high snow, high salt northeast) and how well the jeep has been taken care of by previous owner. That's what you need to be getting a handle on.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
tristyler

It's been on the east coast and hasn't ever been off-road. How well it's been maintained is difficult to tell, unfortunately.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyler View Post
It's been on the east coast and hasn't ever been off-road. How well it's been maintained is difficult to tell, unfortunately.
Where on the east coast? NY is different than NC. Living at the beach is different than living in the mountains. Other than that, without seeing photos not much that can said. Really there are very few "bad jeeps", just bad prices. There is a "right" price for almost everything.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
tristyler

It's in Alexandria, Va. Going for a negotiable $7000. The only pics I've received so far aren't very telling.
3ia3l63s85k65ha5q9d6u0ee7649aba901e08.jpg

3g23ic3se5q85tf5jbd6ue25c222a10d51dba.jpg

Unread 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would prefer the 04 with the I6 if you plan on dd the jeep you will like the additional power and as already said 145k isn't all that up there for a 4.0. My 06 has 148k and runs great.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any pictures of the undercarriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
I would prefer the 04 with the I6 if you plan on dd the jeep you will like the additional power and as already said 145k isn't all that up there for a 4.0. My 06 has 148k and runs great.
^ x2 on that. My 01 is about to hit 170k and still runs strong.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

While not 100% worthless those pictures are pretty close to that. Jeep prices can vary a lot depending on area of the country. You want to talk to The Boogieman. He's in Charlottesville. Buys used jeeps, dresses them up and resells them. He'll have a good sense of the right market. Around here (NY) I'd call 7k "OK".

By the way, its not an "X Sport". It's either an "X" or a "Sport". Based on stickers in picture it is at least looks like a Sport.

Also, I personally would almost always want the 4.0 v. 2.5 but there are people who are happy with the 2.5.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
tristyler

Only pics I have so far are the ones posted above, which don't seem to tell a whole lot.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My low mileage older wrangler was nothing but problems when I got it.
I battled that thing for 3 years before it finally settled down.

It's not the number of miles on the rig, it's the type of miles.
My vehicles PO clearly beat the snot out of it.

99 Wrangler, bought with 62k on the clock, still has less than 96k.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Please inform seller we will need more pics of the girl to make a proper decision.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyler View Post
It's in Alexandria, Va. Going for a negotiable $7000. The only pics I've received so far aren't very telling.
Does she come with it?

I'd go with the newer as long as there is some maintenance records for it. Better safety gear, and the 2.5 seems to be notoriously anemic.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
bobjp

You're going to have more problems sooner with the higher mileage Jeep. But I'd still buy it because I'd rather have a 6 cylinder over a 4.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
You're going to have more problems sooner with the higher mileage Jeep. But I'd still buy it because I'd rather have a 6 cylinder over a 4.
all depends on how it has been cared for. could go on with little to no problems for a long time. either way 6 cylinder over the 4 cylinder anyday
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd take a Jeep with 150k on highway over 75k in the city, any day.

You can tell if it's been maintained if just about everything works. If the list of stuff that "needs attention sooner or later" is as long as your arm, the PO half-assed maintenance.

This is a bit of a leap but given how bad the pictures in the for sale ad are, I would doubt the Jeep was well maintained. If the current owner can't be bothered to walk all the way outside and take pictures of a Jeep for sale, do you think they really stayed on top of maintenance and repairs? I don't.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.