Here today, Gone Tomorrow, WHY? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Here today, Gone Tomorrow, WHY?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 02-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Rubby04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here today, Gone Tomorrow, WHY?

Wanted to ask the community why would Jeep release the Wrangler X and later do away with that trim package. I got to thinking a bit about it and correct me if I'm wrong, a Wrangler X isn't much different than a Sport model is it. Both came with a 4.0 liter engine, and alot of times could be had with optional interior add on's.
I've seen Sport models with and without cruise control, and hit or miss sometimes with options. I never really paid much attention to X models because I always had a rich man's taste but a poor man's budget.
I'm just curious why release so many trim packages in late model tj's and early jk's then go to, what is it now, sport, sport se, Sahara, Rubicon and the unlimited models with the same trim package names. Just curious?

Rubby04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to answer, but just like any company, whether it's selling vehicles or selling hamburgers. Put something out there and see if there is a market, if nobody buys the hamburger, drop it.

I remember when I, for the first time, special ordered a 1983 Chevy, individual options could be added/deleted at will and there was a very long list of what could be had, even interior options.

Then auto makers started to group certain options together into packages. This was to help by not having 31 flavores coupled with 1 of 3 different cone choices. It was a logistical nightmare keeping up at every level, order taking, production, etc.

The next level was model trim levels. If an auto marker can satisfy most of the market place with 3-4 trim levels, it simplifies their processes. And if 1 doesn't sell, drop it.
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Rubby04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
I will try to answer, but just like any company, whether it's selling vehicles or selling hamburgers. Put something out there and see if there is a market, if nobody buys the hamburger, drop it.

I remember when I, for the first time, special ordered a 1983 Chevy, individual options could be added/deleted at will and there was a very long list of what could be had, even interior options.

Then auto makers started to group certain options together into packages. This was to help by not having 31 flavores coupled with 1 of 3 different cone choices. It was a logistical nightmare keeping up at every level, order taking, production, etc.

The next level was model trim levels. If an auto marker can satisfy most of the market place with 3-4 trim levels, it simplifies their processes. And if 1 doesn't sell, drop it.
Good points, I was one year old in 83 so Im unknowledged of the way things where, lol. But it just seems like the wrangler X and wrangler sport where so much alike. The wrangler X pretty will topped out option wise like a base model sport, so... Like you said, if theirs a market, put it out there and see if it sells.
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Rubby04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubby04 View Post
Good points, I was one year old in 83 so Im unknowledged of the way things where, lol. But it just seems like the wrangler X and wrangler sport where so much alike. The wrangler X pretty will topped out option wise like a base model sport, so... Like you said, if theirs a market, put it out there and see if it sells.
Like you said, the TJ far as I know, talking later models, you had the base model wrangler, the X, sport, Sahara, LJ, and the Rubicon. Now days it's the sport, sport se, Sahara, Rubicon, somewhat like the YJ trim packages where called. That always confused me early on when I wanted my first Jeep, which ended up being a Wrangler s I think it was called, 1993 model, then you had the se model above it, and the Sahara I believe.
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

It's all just naming and what they feel will sell at a given moment. Jeep is also known for gaps in models/trim packages: like the long window between the 06 TJ and 07 JK.

When I bought my 05: they only had SE (4cyl), X (6cyl), Sport (sahara type options), and Rubicon. Unlimited was offered in all but the SE (4Cyl) model. The 4 cyl was phased out with the JK, but the X is similar to the Sport and Sport SE now.

They might have been anticipating the 10th anniversary rubicon, which became the Rubicon X
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

In the JK the X trim started getting a stigma as cheap/bad. Now the Sport can be anything from bare bones to nearly Sahara level and the average passer by can't tell the difference.

Go back to the ealier posts in the picture threads and you'll see that even here people were telling others to remove their X stickers.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The X was an SE with a 6cly. That was the only thing added. Sports were teh same thing they just allowed the addition of things like CD player A/C 30 inch tire and wheel group. Saharas were Sports with every option standard with exception of the tow package and Dual Tops. Rubicons were basically a sport with the running gear changes then you could add options like a sport.

There was no reason to keep the X.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Rubby04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Eckoh;20057625.There was no reason to keep the X.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was wondering, why come out with it if you could get a sport with limited options to start with. I always thought it was kind of dumb on Jeeps part to do so but I was unsure, so I thought I'd ask opinions

I was wanting to type of a paper on the topic of Wrangler trim packages to help first time Wrangler buyers out.
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Biggest reason is that there is no need, especially with only one engine option.

Base is base, sport is next, then on up the chain. There really aren't a lot of stand alone options (yes, I know there are lots of options) but really, not a lot of different combos to choose from (like 3 motors and 3 trannys)

They have narrowed down the options/packages to what most people want, it's what is cheapest for them to do (like it or not)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.