Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
JasonVideo
Video Grinch

2013 JK Wrangler 

The words "It's a Jeep Thing, You wouldn't Understand" apply to the majority of people. You either have the bug or you don't. I agree with one of the other posters. Go to a club meeting. Choose a well-organized one or it will make matters worse. Don't go out with a bunch of bubbas drinking PBR. Most of the well-run clubs will actually check your Jeep for safety equipment, CB radio and things that are important for you to have a good experience. Don't knock it til you REALLY try it. Most everyone on here is giving great advice. Some...not so much. If this is truly your 3rd Jeep, I would think you're just sheeting us anyway!

Unread 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
Target92
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a YJ this summer I love it, it came from the East Coast so there is a good amount of rust that I am fighting, it is not the smoothest or quietest ride (although it is a D****d sight better ride then a Humvee). But you know what I love it, it is my DD vehicle and I can think of no better one. It can get me where I need to go even if there is only a dirt path to lead the way and there are not many vehicles I would take over it. But that is my experience as has been stated the Jeep is not for everyone.
Target92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #33
KickboxingSloth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ive had my 2001 TJ for a year now... it might be my first vehicle but I fell i love with it the first time i drove it... I live in Texas so except for December and January the top and doors are off and ive never had anything stolen... I guess people in Texas are just cool that way. Since me buying my Jeep my Mom now wants to trade in her brand new f150 for a JKU and my dads lookin at sellin his 94 f150 in for a CJ5 both are gonna be DD... I think you just need to get over your creature comforts or buy a car
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The OP has not posted anything in JF since starting this thread. Maybe they are out enjoying the Jeep.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
sunsetclb

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast
The OP has not posted anything in JF since starting this thread. Maybe they are out enjoying the Jeep.
Or sold it.....
sunsetclb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
Thetasigma1412
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for all the responses. I have taken thought to each. I wanted a grand Cherokee, but stuck with the Wrangler! I'm looking for side steps at the current moment, and am trying to find small trails to start out. Since starting this, our garage now contains a 2013 Grand Cherokee overland summit, a jeep compass rallye edition, 2013 jk sport hard top, and MY jk sport. All these are black. And I'm lovin them. But just wanting to go on trails!
Thetasigma1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
sunsetclb

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetasigma1412
thank you for all the responses. I have taken thought to each. I wanted a grand cherokee, but stuck with the wrangler! I'm looking for side steps at the current moment, and am trying to find small trails to start out. Since starting this, our garage now contains a 2013 grand cherokee overland summit, a jeep compass rallye edition, 2013 jk sport hard top, and my jk sport. All these are black. And i'm lovin them. But just wanting to go on trails!
wow !!!
sunsetclb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Don't worry about the harsh comments. You are on a Jeep forum where the majority of posters are off-roaders.

I'm a mall crawler...the very occasional light dirt or grass trail is about the extent of wheeling.

I did a TON of research before I purchased....so I knew all of the flaws going in. While it has it faults, I LOVE my Wrangler....BUT....I can see how it is not for everyone. More importantly, you have to be prepared to spend a good chunk of change on aftermarket items to help make is more user friendly.

My 2013, stock (in terms of wheels and lifts) 4 door Sahara is a very nice DD. But I had already had a list of must have options and aftermarket stuff to make nicer. I too considered a Grand Cherokee...but you can't take the top and doors off. You may have to spend a bit of cash on the INSIDE.

Here was my thought process:
4 door - for the extra cargo space and smoother ride (longer wheelbase).
Sahara - upgraded shocks, AT tires, 115V outlet, and it opens up a few other options.
Trac-Lok/LSD - Helps in winter/rain because after all, these things are RWD vehicles in 2WD.
Saddle leather - The mostly tan interior brightens it up and adds heated seats (yes, the heaters are kinda sketchy....and goes along with your quaility complaint)
Connectivty - Gotta have streaming bluetooth and hands free calling in 2013.
3.73's - Mostly for the 3500 pound tow rating. But it is nice to know that I don't have a slug. I don't have plans for larger wheels.
Side airbags - Safety first
Painted hard top - In Billet, it makes it look/feel more like a classy SUV. I know those words are hated on forums....but that is more or less how I use the Jeep. Plus the hardtop is more secure, more quiet, and better insulated (especially with headliners).
Remote start - Near useless luxury that I hardly ever use because I don't like the programming.

-------
Aftermarket stuff... some of it I had before I picked up my Jeep:

*Tuffy Trunk enclsoure - Expensive but worth it. Security was my biggest issue with the JK.
*Tuffy underseat lockbox - Security, gotta have it.
*Gorilla wheel locks - Security, gotta have it.
*Sylvania headlights - They kinda helped.....a little bit. Stock Wrangler lights suck.
*Rampage locking hood latches - Security, gotta have it.
*Spiderwebshade - Keeps the interior so much cooler in the sun.
*Hothead headliners - Expensive, but worth it. Makes the hardtop interior look less like an igloo, and helps with insulation and sound.
*Rugged Ridge center console cover - Makes the center armrest nice and soft to the touch. Never to warm or to cold...and keeps it clean.
*430 rbz - Grabbed one off of ebay for cheap that came out of a 2010 Dodge Caravan. I didn't want to drop a grand on a 430N, but I did want a harddrive and LCD screen. Outstanding upgrade and very easy install. (plug and play if you get the right one).
*Lockpick V.5/camera - I can now see behind me in reverse! Plus I have RCA inputs and outputs available, along with the ability to watch movies while in motion.
*77Kick10 speakers and polyfill - Doing what I can to help the so called "premium" system. I at least have highs now.
*Mopar slushmats, *door sill guards, *fuel filler door, and *tail lamp covers. - Just little stuff that makes it look and feel a bit more "finished".
*Traded a new Trektop NX for a new Premium Top - Gotta have a soft top to enjoy a Wrangler.
*Homemade hoist - A must if you have a hard top.

*Plasti-dip - 2013 Sahara wheels look sweet in all black.
*Rugged Ridge (also Mopar and Olympic) light bar (didn't add lights). - This, the plasti-dip, and the tail lamp guards are really the only items I've added that had nothing to do with comfort, security, or finish. The front bumper just looks better with it.

---------
Basically...most of my "mods" and options were about making a Wrangler the best possible daily driver possible without taking anything away from its factory off-road ability. Security and comfort were my top issues as well, so that is what I addressed.
They are always a blast in the summer when the top is down and the doors are off...but you need to plan for the non-so-fun times. Start working on the comfort/security parts, and I bet you will enjoy it even more.

BTW, I hope you are getting volume discount from Jeep! That is a heck of a collection.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetasigma1412 View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I have taken thought to each. I wanted a grand Cherokee, but stuck with the Wrangler! I'm looking for side steps at the current moment, and am trying to find small trails to start out. Since starting this, our garage now contains a 2013 Grand Cherokee overland summit, a jeep compass rallye edition, 2013 jk sport hard top, and MY jk sport. All these are black. And I'm lovin them. But just wanting to go on trails!
Wow, how many drivers in your house?
If you bought all of those from the same dealership they may just cut you a nice deal if you trade your Wrangler in.
Dealerships love return customers, especially ones that buy 3-4 vehicles in a year.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
Thetasigma1412
2013 JK Wrangler 

Surprisingly, the Cherokee is the garage dweller tw wranglers get out and the rallye is the daily driver as well. The Cherokee is reserved for classy establishments! Ha
Thetasigma1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Jeeps are a piece of s**t as far as quality...
Blasphsemy!
IMHO, the OP prefers "cars", not trucks. Jeeps are trucks, albeit on small frames. I miss my barn-yard Cadillacs but love the Jeep. They weren't and it ain't a car, he suffers from buyer's regret.

Oh, the places I've been in my trucks and Jeep..YMMV, and invariably will...
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #42
gmc01redtj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

its just not for you... Rust spot! Ha funny fix it.... rough ride! Ha funny fix it...... 1000 of dollars to burn? No.......more like hard work and elbow grease. yes we try to buy the best but i like some, install all my stuff. then i wheel it... and i sometimes i break i... and repeat over and over. see we put a lot of time into the jeeps we have, and not always a lot of money but a good amount of work we do our self's and it fuels the love affair we have with going off road and fixing up our jeeps. sure if you haven't spent time fixing and upgrading big things and small things how in the world are you supposed to appreciate it. or get the whole its a jeep thing.
thats just me
gmc01redtj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.