Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
ryanryan03
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree with the mindset shift. I am sure you did some research before you bought it. Stay positive and plan on keeping it. You will lose your butt if you sell it. Buy a lockbox for your stuff and remember how you felt in JULY when you bought it.

Unread 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have always said, if I could only have one vehicle, it would be a jeep.

Removable top like a convertible, nimble handling like a small(ish) car, good visibility like a big(ger) SUV, 4 wheel drive, and relatively decent performance (between a subcompact and a viper)

If you don't like it, it won't change for you.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You want a vehicle that is made with some Quality, And you bought a Domestic Vehicle lol that is the funniest thing I have read on here in months.

Trade in the JK for a 4runner thats more up your alley
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #19
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

the hell!!!???? rust spots? lol aren't JKS made of 80% plastic and 20% frame, doors, tail gate and hood? that is metal lol.

I would say sell it and buy something that u will like or buy a hardtop and then you wont have to worry about someone cutting your soft top and stealing your stuff.

In my TJ I have something like this im not sure if jks have those or not.

when I go out with out my top on I put every thing in the back and lock the tailgate and what ever is inside is protected with that trunk add on.

Good luck
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

I for one find the "quality" of the Jeep (have a '12) to be better than expected. With the new engine, it's more than capable in all driving situations, the Unlimited rides very nice and you can't beat it for looks - and what vehicle is equally as fun in the winter and summer?

That said, I don't understand coming on a forum to blast the vehicle you bought, the vehicle which btw - is what 99.9% of this forum loves, what were you expecting us to say "Yeah man...you're right, the wrangler sucks, dump it". Just man up and enjoy it.

If you want to "complain" about a vehicle being a challenge to own I can tell you many worse stories about my Vipers.
GeckoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
You want a vehicle that is made with some Quality, And you bought a Domestic Vehicle lol that is the funniest thing I have read on here in months.

Trade in the JK for a 4runner thats more up your alley
The 4Runner still has a harsh ride compared to all it competition, BOF and solid rear axle and stiff off road suspension. I think the OP needs a Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot or something of the like. A unibody AWD soft roader, even a Subaru Outback or Forester will fit his needs nicely.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you are out and looking for problems that haven't happened yet.

Make a list of what is real and had actually occurred and decide if the jeep is ok for you our not. Try a list of pro cons, again only what has actually occurred.

For anything you are happy it unhappy with, what are three ways you could maximize it minimise that?

Stare at that list. Sleep on it.

Wake up and either go;
Works for me, or sell it.
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
wingit

I don't understand the poor quality remarks. To down the road and point out how many other vehicles have enough quality to take the beating we give our jeeps. Does it have the creature comforts? No but that's not what I bought it for.

As far as keeping or selling. It's a personal choice. But I will say I got rid of my last jeep for similar reasons and have regretted it ever since.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The problems you listed with your Jeep are all minor and easy to deal with. Here's how:

Rough ride/handling - What is your tire pressure? Just 5 psi can make a HUGE difference in a Jeep and I know from first-hand experience. I don't run higher than 30 psi typically in my TJ and it rides/handles excellent at that tire pressure. Tires are a big factor too and it'll ride/handle much nicer with a good set of soft compound a/t tires and still be capable on/off-road.

Rust - Where? If it's under warranty, it might be covered by the dealer. If not, do what everyone else does on here and buy some paint and sandpaper and fix it, it's not rocket science. I cleaned/painted the frame and underside of my Jeep in my driveway on my back in a few hours one afternoon.

Security - Alarm with a motion sensor, tuffy security boxes, hard top, tint the soft top windows (it's been done before) or buy tinted soft top windows, the solutions are endless. Or you could do the easy thing and don't leave expensive things in your Jeep that you don't want stolen.

Investment with Mods/Repairs - You have it wrong, the majority of Jeep owners don't have thousands to invest in their Jeeps. They either leave them largely stock or build them up slowly over time. In fact, this forum does it's best to save people money on upgrades and maintenance, because it's easy to set $100 bills on fire when owning a Jeep. The people that have put serious dollars into their Jeeps on here? Awesome for the rest of us because they give us insight on what works, what doesn't and the cost for upgrades.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey boys, Real jeep people are a special breed we all know that, And I'm sure it's easy for someone to convince them selves to buy a new jeep when they see jeepers driving around on a beautiful day with no doors and no top with a georgous blond sitting next to us. I don't blame people for trying to brighten their days, but I don't think the jeep is going to be their dear savior.
I do like the fact that there will soon be a lot of jeeps for sale with only a few thousand miles on them with a big $ discount just like all those harleys that the want a bee bikers are trying to sell. Look bikers are bikers and jeepers are jeepers, I think were born this way.Remember these jeeps are not just a mode of transportation they are Life styles!
And to the gentleman who started this thread if your having second thoughts about keeping your jeep maybe you should sell it.
Hey, you tried the jeep experience and it wasn't for you,no big deal, Now sell the jeep and take your $5000 loss like a man and move on.No crying, their is no crying in jeeping.
jeffreyd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
TheJeepMan11

Try a minivan?
TheJeepMan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
sunsetclb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think he just wanted to get a rise out of everyone ........what he said really....really.....come on!!!!
sunsetclb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have to agree to drive it somewhere fun and wheel it. Even stock you'll get hooked and want more. Otherwise at your age, sell it and get a fast car.

Good luck.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

I use my 2013 Jeep as a daily driver.
I hope to do some off-roading next year, but it isn't the main reason I bought it.

I think it's the best daily driver a person can own.

I get out of work, put the top down, and cut across the highway to a country road and drive home at about 45 miles per hour - it ads 15 minutes to my commute and is the best damn part of my day. I pull up to curbs in the parking lot and I've never once worried about scrapping the bottom of the front fender on the curb. I roll over road kill moose without that annoying bump under my seat. I can change my oil without jacking up the car. It goes on...
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

We have a '12 JK and a '12 JKU. Wife uses the JKU as her DD and I use the JK as mine. I don't see any issues with either of them being used as a DD. Bought mine in April '12 and have about 24K on it now with the only issue being not enough time to do trails as often as I would like. Hers is the hard top mine is the soft top versions. Her's will be kept at stock ride height, etc.. mine will be "slightly" different.

Anyway, both of us enjoy the heck out of our Jeeps. Only thing either of us wish is that they had a little more speed on pulling out on the highway, but I think we can fix that with gears to our liking in the future. Security - there are so many options for the space in a Jeep, you just have to be a little creative and build what you need or get with a company that can build to your specifications.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.