Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Thetasigma1412
2013 JK Wrangler 

Help! New Wrangler owner having second thoughts

Ok guys. Don't hate me for this.....but I am rethinking my wrangler purchase. I got it July and was crazy about it, but now after reading more about it and having to deal with it,I am having second thoughts. Aside from the terrible ride, rusty spots that pop up, cheaply made body and fenders, along with a pain in the butt access to the cargo area, I would like to rethink this. I have had an Explorer, Durango, Compass and Cherokee. I love Jeep, but didn't realize it was such a cheaply made vehicle. I (unlike most people on here) don't have thousands of dollars to spend on their car ( I got new wheels and plastidipped them and that's about it). Any thoughts as to why I need to stick out with it? Any people that were in the same boat I was? Let me know your thoughts. I really enjoy this car without doors and the top, but for commuting and having my expensive gear with me all the time, I feel I lack safety and someone could slash my top anytime (doesnt help that every car I had in the past had limo tinting on it)

So let me know thoughts. I'm on board the struggle bus now.

Thanks!

image-3433270690.jpg

Thetasigma1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
TCrow2

Do you go offroad?

I love hating this b**** unless I'm in the dirt.
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Thetasigma1412
2013 JK Wrangler 

I go on grassy fields but not mud/rocks.
Thetasigma1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
TCrow2

You can always get some lock boxes if you feel insecure about your gear.

I get what you mean about quality but I have a YJ so I feel like it was made to beat on.

As a commuter, no, a wrangler might not have been the best choice, but you should keep in mind that's not what its entirely for. I think if you get out with some groups and hit some trails you'll have a whole newfound love for it.
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like you want creature comforts that your jeep just doesn't provide. Im my opinion it's best to know the things you stated prior to diving in but as you said you were excited at first.

Selling is always an option if you feel that you're truly unattached to it.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeepers like Jeeps, and all that is included with owning one.

You should get rid of it.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not bagging on you but, sounds like you fell in love (excited)with the jeep/life style before you really knew what it was all about, and it sounds like you want us to convince you to sell, only you can make that decision.
You are correct, you will NEVER get the ride that of a car, its a jeep. Also true that the space is a problem if you need to use the back seat, and gas mileage is crap. Jeeps are a piece of s**t as far as quality, but we buy these things for their off road capabilities which is second to none.
If you elect to get out, make sure you make an informed decision on your next purchase and leave love and coolness factor out of it totally. Base your choice on cold hard facts and needs, not wants when deciding.
Let us know your decision.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thousands of dollars are not necessary. Mods (not necessary unless you want them) or beating on it (which it doesn't sound like you do much) are the biggest cost. People beef about the expenses, but the owners are the biggest part of the cost.

The engine and transmission is no different from other Chrysler (and other) products. Solid axles give you much less trouble than independent systems... there are a few foibles but there is NO REASON a Jeep should be significantly more expensive than any comparable sized vehicle.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wranglers are very unique vehicles like motorcycles, and a 2-seater sports car like a Miata. They aren't for everyone and aren't as general purpose as all other vehicles.

I really like my Wrangler, but between my and I, we have 4 vehicles in the driveway of all shapes/sizes. And I wouldn't like my Wrangler as my 1 and only vehicle that I had to rely on for everything.

There's nothing wrong with you or the Wrangler, just not a match.
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetasigma1412 View Post
I go on grassy fields but not mud/rocks.
This is ultimately the problem. You don't need a Jeep to do that. I'd encourage you to take it out on something a little more challenging. You certainly don't need to do insane rock crawling or completely sink it into a mudhole, but use it for what it was designed for. The Wrangler is not a comfortable, quiet, and smooth daily driver (although it has improved in these areas considerably over the past 20 years), nor is it supposed to be. The Wrangler feels better on trails, in mud, and on top of rocks than it ever will on pavement.

Wheel it more (nothing crazy, but don't fear dirt roads and trails) and wheel it without the doors and top and if you still don't get any enjoyment out of it, then you know what you have to do.
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is why I have a Tacoma 4dr TRD with cap in addition to my TJ Rubicon and my wife has a Liberty. The Toyota is smooth and quiet and secure and stable. It is even capable off road and tows my 19 foot Boston Whaler without breaking a sweat and it is a TOYOTA with stone cold reliability and with all that, it is not a Jeep TJ. However, I say Jeep TJ because I had a JK, I feel your pain with the cheaply made JK. The TJ is just a more solid, sporty, fun feel to it, my opinion based on having owned both. The TJ is like a Miata compared to the JK like minivan.

J
2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

You should sell it and get a honda pilot or some other small SUV. I'm new to the jeep world but I have always wanted one. The jeep wrangler is like a motorcycle. It's not for everyone even though people think they want one they really don't. They just want to look cool in my opinion. My jeep is brand new 2013 JKUR 6 speed fully loaded. Compaired to my 2003 avalance z71 fully loaded the ride sucks, the gas mileage sucks, the stero sucks, the seats suck, the heating in the seats suck, the body is flimsy and it can't tow more than a bike trailer with a power wheels jeep on it. With that said why would I spend all the money on a jeep when I have a great low mileage paid off truck? For me it was one reason I was stuck on the side of a mountainl in a very bad snow storm for 2 days a few years back. The main reasons was because 1ground clearance and 2 locking diffs 3rd reason was size and weight. I did a lot of research before I got my jeep. I could care less about the bull **** life style. To me thats poser talk. Kinda reminds me of the HD riders that are so bad *** and ride maybe 2000 miles a year and never in the rain or below 70 degrees. I put at least 25k on my concourse a year in all seasons and I have three other vehicles. A lot of jeep guys are like motorcycle guys they are posers. If you can't deal with the problems or should I say character of a niche vehicle then you shouldn't own one its not for you. I'm not a hard core off road guy but I know no mafter where I go no matter what the weather conditions are I will come home or get to where I need to go especially after a few upgrades. I believe in my jeep and I don't think it will ever let me down.
Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
ncb

Get a Tuffy locker. Take a trip to Colorado or Moab and have some fun.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1man2020 View Post
... but I know no mafter where I go no matter what the weather conditions are I will come home or get to where I need to go ... I believe in my jeep and I don't think it will ever let me down.
AMEN

Jeep + any semi-competent driver are an unstoppable combination. You own THE most capable, out-of-the-box, production vehicle at a reasonable price. Definately look into meeting a local Jeep club if you are not sure about it, they usually have stock friendly runs tailored for newer members and guests. Perhaps you bought into the idea of a Wrangler but are not sure how to really appreciate it. You will be amazed what it can do, I used to love my 00 Grand Cherokee which was nt modded to the nines on the trails. I can't wait to really learn/experience all the things our new Wrangler can do out of the box!
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

To me it's a mindset shift. When you look at and then jump behind the wheel of the jeep you posted, with the doors off and top down, it should make you feel better even with all its flaws. When I jump in one of mine, my day just got better. If the flaws are what you see and feel instead of the good, Sell it.

Nobody who enjoys their jeep is a poser, even if it never goes off-road. The only posers are the ones who pretend to be badass wheelers and never leave the parking lot.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.