Help. My instrument cluster won't work. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Help. My instrument cluster won't work.

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Jamesba

Help. My instrument cluster won't work.

Hi. I have a 1997 wrangler and my dashboard cluster doesn't work right. The lights work but none of the gauges read. The circuit board looks good and I don't see any loose wires. What could I try?

Jamesba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
gunut
2013 JK Wrangler 

electrical problems can be a biotch...just keep looking
gunut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesba View Post
Hi. I have a 1997 wrangler and my dashboard cluster doesn't work right. The lights work but none of the gauges read. The circuit board looks good and I don't see any loose wires. What could I try?
Print out the wiring semantics and go from there. If your lucky it could be a fuse, relay, or even a fusible link if it has one...
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are fuses for the Cluster. Double check em and let us know! Anything been done to the Jeep as of late?

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM us for any questions.
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Put both hands on the cluster and push it in. It probably has come a little loose. Mines did that to me once. It turned out to be that.
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check fuse 17 under the hood (constant 12V) and fuse 10 behind the glove box (switched 12V).

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny jeep View Post
check fuse 17 under the hood (constant 12v) and fuse 10 behind the glove box (switched 12v).
12.6 :-)
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
Put both hands on the cluster and push it in. It probably has come a little loose. Mines did that to me once. It turned out to be that.
I give mine a nice whack on the top-right of the cluster every now and again when they cut out, but in my case it is only speed/tach/odometer that go dead. Fuel, temp, pressure continue to read normally. It actually happens a lot. Sounds like maybe a different issue though.
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
frank5738

my 99 tj has the same issue, but only the temp and battery gauge work. ive changed all fuses, put new ground cables in. tried the whole squeeze the pins on the back of the cluster and got nothin. even put a new cluster in it and it still wont work. im stuck
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Sthrn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you are experiencing the whole instrument panel problem of tach and speedometer dropping and airbag light coming on but this is from my original bulletin after complaining to Jeep over and over again! This is a common problem with the Jeep wranglers that causes the gauges to have intermittent operation. Jeep has issued 2 TSBs about it. 08-15-99 is the latest and basically states that the male terminals on the cluster get corroded. There is a cleaning procedure and some small parts to get to correct the problem.

"TSB NUMBER: 08-15-99

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: May 21, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 08-20-98 REV. A, DATED OCTOBER 2, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN BOOK, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-99003. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION TO THE PROCEDURE.

SUBJECT:
Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.

MODELS:

1998 - 1999 (TJ) Wrangler
1998 - 1999 (XJ) Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code - "No Cluster CCD BUS" message will be present.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the DRB III(R), read and record all active and stored fault codes in the AECM. This condition is caused by minor oxidation of the BUS circuit terminals at the instrument cluster connector. Electrical terminals will show signs of oxidation, which will appear as darkened lines or marks on the cluster male terminals. These often appear as gray or black marks rather than the appearance of oxidation or corrosion usually associated with higher current carrying circuits. This condition will set a "NO CLUSTER CCD BUS" message. The fault code will usually be stored and not active. THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN WILL NOT ADDRESS FUEL OR OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ISSUES. If this fault code is present, either active or stored perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness
1 04856975 Electric Contact Cleaner
2 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 08-90-90-91 0.6 Hrs. "
Sthrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Sthrn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

AND to back up Trespasser...A nice whack on the top of dash works to bring the tach and speedometer back, for awhile
Sthrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.