Have You Had Your Soft Top Cut/Slashed and Accessed by Thieves? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Have You Had Your Soft Top Cut/Slashed and Accessed by Thieves?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
In Occupied Chicago, thieves target soft top jeeps. I have seen a few missing their doors. They typically go after Jeep with full metal doors. They cut the top and reach in to open the door. Once open they remove the doors. It is an easy $500 pay day for them. With all those cameras on the streets you would think that the police would be able to catch these guys but they don't use those cameras to catch thieves. Go figure!
Chicago is the Pakistan of the US. They harbor criminals. I'd move out of there just to be sure they didn't get any of my tax money.

RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #17
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
In Occupied Chicago, thieves target soft top jeeps. I have seen a few missing their doors. They typically go after Jeep with full metal doors. They cut the top and reach in to open the door. Once open they remove the doors. It is an easy $500 pay day for them. With all those cameras on the streets you would think that the police would be able to catch these guys but they don't use those cameras to catch thieves. Go figure!
I never considered the idea that someone would steal my doors.
I guess I'd better leave those at home...
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGerbil View Post
I never considered the idea that someone would steal my doors.
I guess I'd better leave those at home...
They make lock kits for the hinges. I think it is just a special nut, like those wheel lock nuts. But if they can't lift right off then I'm sure a thief would just pass on by.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

None the less, we are less vulnerable than conventional convertibles where replacement could run a couple of thousand. With the wrangler, buy a new fabric top and put it on.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
Nitronitty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed.

I had my TJ broken into once already -- all they got was loose change and some jumper cables.

I do have a 50lb toolbox in the back behind the rear seat but with the seat and spare tire it seems its kinda wedged in there and since I keep the tailgate locked and the toolbox padlocked --so far i've been ok. I was thinking of purchasing a bicycle cable and running it through the handle and then around the rollbar.

If they want to struggle to get it out only to carry a padlocked 5Olb toolbox with with no handle--Have fun!

But yeah my other doors remain open.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronitty View Post
I do have a 50lb toolbox in the back behind the rear seat but with the seat...
Lifting a 50lb toolbox is probably outside the capabilities of the emaciated meth-heads that are breaking into our vehicles.
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

16GA Steel Perforated Sheet Solution

Update:

Decided on a solution that I can live with. Went to Loucon Metal off Slack Rd. in Ottawa ON Canada. Purchased a 25" x 63" piece of "CR STL PERF SHT 16GA 1/2" DIA X 11/16" STAGGERED" and two 63" 50W STL ANGLE - BAR SIZE 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Dave at Capital Dodge in Kanata, ON Canada will assemble the three components and mount the assembly across the the tub of my JK over the rear seat.

He'll get some fasteners that allow me to secure n' lock the unit in place.

When I laid out the parts where I measured them to be---it was nice n' tight fitting.

Quite light too.

No carpet knife or tin snips are going to make it easy for a grab n' run thief.

Still no guarantees that I won't be robbed---but I can live with what I've got to secure my stuff on the back seat.
iphone-bkp-15-may-2013-perf-1.jpg   iphone-bkp-15-may-2013-perf-2.jpg  
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Nitronitty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting concept I'd like to see something like this between the tailgate and rear seat
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Snatch-n-Run Theft Deterrent Rear Seat Shelf and Storage Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 View Post
Update:

Decided on a solution that I can live with. Went to Loucon Metal off Slack Rd. in Ottawa ON Canada. Purchased a 25" x 63" piece of "CR STL PERF SHT 16GA 1/2" DIA X 11/16" STAGGERED" and two 63" 50W STL ANGLE - BAR SIZE 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Dave at Capital Dodge in Kanata, ON Canada will assemble the three components and mount the assembly across the the tub of my JK over the rear seat.

He'll get some fasteners that allow me to secure n' lock the unit in place.

When I laid out the parts where I measured them to be---it was nice n' tight fitting.

Quite light too.

No carpet knife or tin snips are going to make it easy for a grab n' run thief.

Still no guarantees that I won't be robbed---but I can live with what I've got to secure my stuff on the back seat.
Snatch-n-Run Deterrent Rear Seat Shelf and Storage Space

I really like what the final product looks like, and its utility. Here’s some updated images (Dave’s install yesterday). The assembly was spray coated with flat black truck bed liner protectant.

Ottawa Fastener Supply has my order for “SPAENAUR Security Hex Socket Button Head Machine Screws”

Once I replace the regular bolts with the security head versions, it’ll add a bit more of a theft deterrent for a quick snatch n’ run.
snatch-n-run-deterrent-rear-seat-shelf-1.jpg   snatch-n-run-deterrent-rear-seat-shelfn.jpg  
snatch-n-run-deterrent-rear-seat-shelf-2.jpg

spaenaur-security-machine-screws-1.jpg

truck-bed-liner-spray.jpg

follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca

Last edited by TrailRated2011; 09-29-2013 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: minor edit
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Since this came back to life, I'll comment. Having lived, went to school and worked happily in the heart of Chicago for 5 years, one would be foolish to leave valuables in plain sight in any vehicle let alone in a soft top Jeep. That's life in the big city -- any city. It isn't the authorities fault that a lot of people do a lot of awful things. You do like having your freedoms, right? Life is a trade-off. Good and bad, things amplify when we are crammed together.

I take a similar mindset here in Denver. This is a small town, compared to everywhere else I have lived. But Denver has a large transient/itinerant population with not much to loose in a region where it is fairly easy to disappear. So far, I haven't had any issues with theft (I never had any real problems in Chicago either). In part because I still take precautions. There are plenty of stories about of slashed tops despite unlocked doors or even rolled-up rear windows. Thieves aren't polite or conscientious problem solvers. They already know the guaranteed way in and there isn't much to do other than to minimize the loss when it happens. I do believe it is only a matter of time before my soft top gets slashed. I just hope its a window, since I have spares.

This reminds me that I do need to clean out the back...
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #26
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Don't leave stuff in the jeep & don't lock the doors. I've had my jeep "broken into" 4 or 5 times now. I had a parking permit stolen out of it while it was under a camera in a garage that had a police station at the bottom of it, but he got caught. My point is I've had people in my jeep, even in secure places...so the best bet is leaving it unlocked with nothing in it

I've not had my windows cut thankfully, it sucks that it happens though.
I agree. When I have my soft top on, the doors never lock. Ive only ever caught one person inside (in the middle of the day, in the staff parking lot at my old job...) and thats it. Had I not had my doors unlocked, I dont know if he would have cut the windows or not.

With the hard top on, I do lock the doors though.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I used to live in Pittsburgh. Breaking into vehicles was sport in my neighborhood (every day more and more Section 8 housing). There were also hot break-in attempts on our block, my parents house x2. So one night, when my old Saturn's alarm went off, and my father and I appeared out the door armed.... well, the perp ran off, and the police seemed more interested to try and catch him (it had been on the news every night for 2 weeks about random car break-ins). They did not catch the guy, but our block had no more break-ins for a year and a half.

Out in my neck of the woods, my XJ gets left open, sometimes with the keys in the ignition. Never had a problem.

Unfortunately, the meth head scumbags like to target houses out here. We've had the alarm system scare them off once. Lots of soft top jeeps out here too, not seen any issues with cut up tops.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I used to live in Pittsburgh. Breaking into vehicles was sport in my neighborhood (every day more and more Section 8 housing). There were also hot break-in attempts on our block, my parents house x2. So one night, when my old Saturn's alarm went off, and my father and I appeared out the door armed.... well, the perp ran off, and the police seemed more interested to try and catch him (it had been on the news every night for 2 weeks about random car break-ins). They did not catch the guy, but our block had no more break-ins for a year and a half.

Out in my neck of the woods, my XJ gets left open, sometimes with the keys in the ignition. Never had a problem.

Unfortunately, the meth head scumbags like to target houses out here. We've had the alarm system scare them off once. Lots of soft top jeeps out here too, not seen any issues with cut up tops.

We have tons of meth heads here in Utah, If they break in they will get a warning shot ............ in the chest with a 12 gauge slug
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #29
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow how many times can this question be asked.

The answer is always the same secure stuff in a lockbox..aka tuffy box.

Leave nothing of value loose in your jeep. And enjoy.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #30
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Really begs the question... after how many decades, why doesn't Jeep offer a factory secure storage space?

I want a LJ some day... and this sort of thing bugs me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.