Have You Had Your Soft Top Cut/Slashed and Accessed by Thieves? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Have You Had Your Soft Top Cut/Slashed and Accessed by Thieves?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Have You Had Your Soft Top Cut/Slashed and Accessed by Thieves?

I often wonder if I worry about something that happens too rarely to even waste energy thinking about it. What have you folks experienced or heard about this type of cut or slash, grab n' run theft? What tips n' tricks do law enforcement professionals suggest Jeep JK owners do----if we have to transport stuff in the back seat for example? Do these types of robberies typically happen at night? If items are covered by a tarp or if a soft top has tinted windows does this reduce the risk a lot ?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just got a new Jeep and I worried about this a little bit - until I realized the windows just zip off.
For me the solution is to never lock my Jeep.
I'll let you know if anything happens.

Back when I had a pickup truck someone broke out my window to steal a $100 radio.
It was then that I realized that the only benefit to locking a vehicle is if you like standing around in broken glass.
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't leave stuff in the jeep & don't lock the doors. I've had my jeep "broken into" 4 or 5 times now. I had a parking permit stolen out of it while it was under a camera in a garage that had a police station at the bottom of it, but he got caught. My point is I've had people in my jeep, even in secure places...so the best bet is leaving it unlocked with nothing in it

I've not had my windows cut thankfully, it sucks that it happens though.
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I never leave anything in my TJ that I can't afford to lose. I never lock the doors. Using this method, I've never had anything stolen from my Jeep.
PMSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had my soft upper slashed by an idiot. The door was unlocked. They took about a dollar worth of loose change from a cup holder and left a bag of weed on the passenger seat.

As I was walking toward my Jeep there was a group of teens hanging in the park about 100 feet away staring at me. I jumped in and could smell the weed so I looked around and noticed my window was cut. I went around to the passenger side and opened the door to survey the damage, and could hear the teens laughing. Then I noticed the weed sitting on the seat. I dont smoke it but know folks that do and it looked like good stuff. A nice big bud with red hairs, all sticky and stinky.

I slammed the door, looked over at the teens and yelled "**** YOU!"

They all started laughing and one of them yelled something that sounded like "thank you for the change."

I smiled, held up the bag and yelled "No, thank you! I'm gonna enjoy this. "

Heard one of them say "Oh ****!". Knowing that at least one of them had a knife, I jumped in the Jeep and got out of there. Gave the weed to a friend and bought glass sliders.
MATT99TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT99TJ View Post
I had my soft upper slashed by an idiot. The door was unlocked. They took about a dollar worth of loose change from a cup holder and left a bag of weed on the passenger seat.

As I was walking toward my Jeep there was a group of teens hanging in the park about 100 feet away staring at me. I jumped in and could smell the weed so I looked around and noticed my window was cut. I went around to the passenger side and opened the door to survey the damage, and could hear the teens laughing. Then I noticed the weed sitting on the seat. I dont smoke it but know folks that do and it looked like good stuff. A nice big bud with red hairs, all sticky and stinky.

I slammed the door, looked over at the teens and yelled "**** YOU!"

They all started laughing and one of them yelled something that sounded like "thank you for the change."

I smiled, held up the bag and yelled "No, thank you! I'm gonna enjoy this. "

Heard one of them say "Oh ****!". Knowing that at least one of them had a knife, I jumped in the Jeep and got out of there. Gave the weed to a friend and bought glass sliders.
Woulda rolled the LEO on them. If you see **** like that in your Jeep, leave it alone until the coppers arrive.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Years back I had a Geo Tracker from which the entire soft top was stolen. As such, when I got my Wrangler I decided to do what others have suggested; never keep anything valuable inside.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
87wrangleryj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I usually try to leave my windows un-zipped just enough in hopes that they would see it already open and not waste the time to cut it. Jeeps are easy targets, not much you can do about that other than a hardtop or an alarm system. I never leave anything in my Jeep I wouldn't mind getting stolen.
87wrangleryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated2011
I often wonder if I worry about something that happens too rarely to even waste energy thinking about it. What have you folks experienced or heard about this type of cut or slash, grab n' run theft? What tips n' tricks do law enforcement professionals suggest Jeep JK owners do----if we have to transport stuff in the back seat for example? Do these types of robberies typically happen at night? If items are covered by a tarp or if a soft top has tinted windows does this reduce the risk a lot ?

Tuffy locker for the win. I don't leave anything outside of the Tuffy unit. Out of sight out of mind.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Man, if this wasn't a timely thread last night my son spotted some little biotch rummaging around in our cars in the driveway (the TJ is in the garage). Along the same lines, we leave the doors unlocked and don't keep any valuables inside, although the lass did snare a gps unit (I paid $90 for it six years ago ) and a 2nd gen iPod. So no huge loss, but still I'd like to cut off a couple of her fingers just on principle.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
bdub1285
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Tuffy locker for the win. I don't leave anything outside of the Tuffy unit. Out of sight out of mind.
Yep. I keep all my stuff in my tuffy center console. Plus, I have a lock box in the back. Nobody messes with it.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tuffy center console. And I never lock the doors. In fact, last week I picked my wife up for a thing at our daughter's daycare one morning. We went to lunch when it was over. As we were leaving, and I got to her door to open it, I found she had locked it. I just laughed. I told her I never lock them. But I do now know that the key works to unlock the passenger side door.

Radio faceplate and anything else valuable goes in the Tuffy. If you walked up to mine right now, you could reach over and help yourself to a case of Diet Dr Pepper, and a 6-pack of paper towels. I did a grocery run last night and never brought those up from the garage. I think there's a necktie behind the backseat as well. And my daughter's booster seat is seat-belted in. Those are the only loose items in there. Never had a problem.

In college, I had a YJ. Never locked the doors then either. Even living in freshmen dorms, the only thing that was ever taken was one of those roadside emergency kits from the backseat. The cheap little jumper cables, and stuff like that. I got out there one morning to find my drivers door open, in the rain, and the kit missing from behind the seat. Everything else was in the Tuffy.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Last year I purchased a Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Security Enclosure, Manufacturer Part No: 282-01. It provides great security for items of value when my soft top is down---I am very satisfied with it!

When it's full, I use the back seat for overflow storage. Traveling with suitcases or a day of off-roading (trail run supplies like straps, rubber boots, and other kit) with my Club.

With the soft top, when I stop for gas or a meal at a restaurant I worry about theft. I don't feel comfortable leaving my vehicle unattended.

I usually cover it with a dark grey blanket that matches the upholstery. Plus, I just ordered a Bestop 31% tint 3 pc. window set. Thinking that out-of-sight equals out-of-mind?

Also, considering Raingler MILSPEC cargo net to place on items in the back seat.

Then I thought, "May be, I'm worrying too much? What are the actual statistics for soft top break ins---probably the same as a hard top with glass windows?

Anyway, I guess that if someone want's in--they'll do it.

My task is to hide stuff if I can, tie it down, etc. so that they keep on walking.

follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it isn't locked up and out of plain view, don't expect it to be there when you return. Be happy it is still there when you return. Leaving tempting goodies to be seen is asking for trouble. Pretty much applies to any vehicle, and particularly those with a soft top.

I installed a Tuffy center console and that sufficed for a while, but I was still limited in how many stops I could make when out. Sacrificed my rear seat (which rarely got used anyways) to add a Tuffy Security lockbox.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In Occupied Chicago, thieves target soft top jeeps. I have seen a few missing their doors. They typically go after Jeep with full metal doors. They cut the top and reach in to open the door. Once open they remove the doors. It is an easy $500 pay day for them. With all those cameras on the streets you would think that the police would be able to catch these guys but they don't use those cameras to catch thieves. Go figure!
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.