Have FUEL spill problems like MANY of us? Submit a complaint to force a recall!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can someone get this in Pirate4x4? I don't have an account with them... If anyone knows someone with an account please ask them... Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 AM
suesjeep

Sorry, I meant to quote you...don't know why it didn't show that way in the above post. I'll leave now before I hurt myself....
post #33 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 AM
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesjeep View Post
I took that as one as kind of crappy, but it's just the last in a list of stupid comments from other threads on here and other sites about this issue. Let's see, how about the,"Just fill it half way..." comment, or I read something about, "Why don't you just hand pump?" Yesterday was actually the first time I have ever posted, so I'm pretty frustrated with it as well to have bothered to register, comment, etc..
Maybe I'm taking these comments the wrong way, but of course, I have done all the troubleshooting that any normal person would do.
I just want it solved and was shocked to see how common the issue is.
i honestly do not think he meant that in a "cutting down" manner. he was just saying how he does it, that is how my dad has always done his, and thats how i do mine just because that how he taught me, nothing wrong w/ letting it click though. its just a habit for me.

hope yall can get this fixed, next time i fill up i will let it click and see if mine does it, and if it does you better believe i will file a complaint!

post #34 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesjeep View Post
Sorry, I meant to quote you...don't know why it didn't show that way in the above post. I'll leave now before I hurt myself....
You're good. When you edited the quote you deleted the first part. Example (bold part you deleted):

{QUOTE=suesjeep;8918365}Sorry, I meant to quote you...don't know why it didn't show that way in the above post. I'll leave now before I hurt myself....{/QUOTE}
post #35 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, UTZ you are correct. I have used the online form in the past but never received any acknowlegment from NHTSA of the complaint. I did get email confirmation shortly after making the phone complaint. Interestingly enough neither Jeep Customer Service at their 800 number or NHTSA acknowleged receiving any previous owner complaints regarding this problem for ANY year Wrangler. Additionally, Jeep initially DENIED issuance of a TSB concerning the problem for Wrangler. NHTSA lists a TSB for the problem however, it references a 2007 DIESEL JK. Anyone ever seen one of those? Go figure....
post #36 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Utz View Post
I wonder if it's only on newer TJ's and JK's. Yours being a '99 I would think it would have done it by now. Lucky you
I got a 98 and have no spill problems, mine has the smaller gas tank. I wonder if that is due to the larger gas tanks. Do all the newer TJs have the big tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtank99 View Post
Mine does that too, and its a 99. It only does it every 6th or 7th fill up...
What size is your tank?

Good luck with the recall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

post #37 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingII View Post
Yup, UTZ you are correct. I have used the online form in the past but never received any acknowlegment from NHTSA of the complaint. I did get email confirmation shortly after making the phone complaint. Interestingly enough neither Jeep Customer Service at their 800 number or NHTSA acknowleged receiving any previous owner complaints regarding this problem for ANY year Wrangler. Additionally, Jeep initially DENIED issuance of a TSB concerning the problem for Wrangler. NHTSA lists a TSB for the problem however, it references a 2007 DIESEL JK. Anyone ever seen one of those? Go figure....
There's a checkbox on the site to receive a confirmation for receiving it. I just filed it this morning and have a response in my email already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
I got a 98 and have no spill problems, mine has the smaller gas tank. I wonder if that is due to the larger gas tanks. Do all the newer TJs have the big tank?

What size is your tank?

Good luck with the recall.
I've heard this is a scam by Chrysler. It's actually the same tank, they just charged people for a "bigger" tank which allowed the tank to be completely filled, as opposed to the "smaller" tank which just kicks off earlier. It's a different hose, so maybe the "bigger" tank hose has the defect.
post #38 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

mine started doing it last year, so it was 3.5 years old. first time i was in the jeep cause it was freezing out and a lady came to tell me gas was spewing everywhere. the pump didnt even shut off. had atleast 2 gallons sitting on the ground

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
My '97 has the larger 19 gallon tank and it does not have the problem. It must only happen on newer models.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #40 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
jeepinmichguy_
Soar Forever Six

2006 TJ Wrangler 

bot my 06 tj's spew everywhere. i just guesstamate full now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #41 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
mine started doing it last year, so it was 3.5 years old. first time i was in the jeep cause it was freezing out and a lady came to tell me gas was spewing everywhere. the pump didnt even shut off. had atleast 2 gallons sitting on the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
bot my 06 tj's spew everywhere. i just guesstamate full now.
Filling out the complaint?
post #42 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My '97 has the larger 19 gallon tank and it does not have the problem. It must only happen on newer models.
There's a guy with a '98 and another with a '99 with this problem. It seems to be hit and miss.
post #43 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my 97 likes gas to much to even think about spitting it out

but that really stinks, good luck guys

Eagle scout jeeper #10

The Things We Make, Make Us
post #44 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
BigGreenYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This problem only seems to effect 03+ TJs, LJs and JKs. It seems as though there was a design change in the fuel tank. There is another thread here on JF that very plainly states the problem, the "fixes" that were attempted and then a great explanation of the actual problem.

Here is the best explanation as to what is going on in the fuel tank, quoted from right here on JF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxram View Post
I dropped the tank today to install my new Savvy Skid and pulled the fuel pump to find out what is going on the the check valve on the filler tube.

What I found was that our tanks don't use a simple ball like on older tanks, instead they use a plunger of sorts that has a spring below it. This spring is very very weak. I reached in the tank and could freely move the valve up and down. Also the end of the valve had a triangular shaped tail on it that slides in a cutout in the bottom of the filler tube. What happens is that the valve guide gets stuck when it gets pushed all the way down. (When gas flows into the tank) This is why when filling it shoots fuel back out because that valve sticks. I tried getting pics of the inside of the tank but could not get them to come out right.
The people using the pour in cleaners are having limited luck because when you pour it in it lubricates the guide that the check valve slides in for a short while.

Also I believe that if those of you who got the tank replaced, if they are the same design it is just a matter of time before it starts to fail again.

Active or former Military, go here >

Texas Jeepers go here >

95 YJ - Lots o' goodies! Kinda.
03 KJ (The Wife's) - Stock
post #45 of 992 Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 AM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^I hadn't read that update about the spring. I feel sorry for anyone that was talked into paying for a new tank. I figured as well that it would be just a matter of time to start happening again.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.