Hardtop With Side-Opening Windows! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Hardtop With Side-Opening Windows!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
IcemanYJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hardtop With Side-Opening Windows!

I just ran across this on ebay, and had to share with you guys!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...f790af&vxp=mtr

:2thum bsup:

Matt. 5:9 ESV
IcemanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

seems like a reasonable price...

for turning your wrangler into a food truck
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
PartyMarty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanYJ View Post
I just ran across this on ebay, and had to share with you guys!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...f790af&vxp=mtr

:2thum bsup:
Huh seems like a weird way to open thought you could open at speed and get some air with hard
Top on.
PartyMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah pretty stupid way to go about that. I would have thought they would have slid open.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sliders would be much better. Unless those windows can be partially opened as a vent while driving, I don't see what good they are. Maybe if one really had to get in the back, but really didn't want to open the rear gate.
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
IcemanYJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, based on the photographs, it appears as though they can be left open while driving- with the thought being that you can leave larger objects in the rear that would normally not fit.
I'm surprised this was faced with so much negativity- just because it's not built exactly as you guys would have built it does not mean that it is "stupid"-- just means that its designers were using a different school of thought than your own when they drafted it. I personally would not buy one, but that doesn't mean that it should lose credit as a well designed and produced top that would fit the needs of many.
Ingenuity, creativity, and personal functionality are the cornerstones of the Jeeping community, and it seems like so many forget that around here... (okay, end of rant).
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

How much further do those window wings extend beyond the side mirrors? Driving around with those windows open is asking for trouble. Having larger items hang out the side is also a bad idea. How fast can one drive with the side windows open and the rear glass closed? I don't do that with my soft top (parachute), and wouldn't dare try in my hard top.

My primary criticism is that I don't understand the purpose/benefits of the flip windows when sliders won't get caught on trees, rocks, buildings, cars, people... Utility access is the only sensible reason I can come up with for these. As I said earlier, if they can partially open as a vent, then all the better. If that is worth $1800 + up to $400 shipping, then these are a great solution. I would rather have a sunroof.
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
IcemanYJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

These images shows them opening well past the roof-line.

Again, I'm not saying that I want them, or that they fit everyones needs- I am just saying that they are clearly a well-designed and well-fabricated product that looks as good, or even better than the stock design. I believe that the feedback placed on this top would also agree with my statement.

Something to consider, as well, is that these tops seem to great for back-roads and areas where you won't be traveling more than ~15mph. At such slow speeds, the convince of being able to place oversized objects in the back of a TJ seems well worth it to me(i.e. Kayaking gear, rock climbing gear, etc...)

As well, after looking at the photos- those side windows look to be fairly easy to remove... just something to consider...

My issue, really, is not with the top- but with the negativity I see. Often times, members are so incredibly negative towards ideas that don't jive with their own personal concept of what a Jeep should look like, and unfortunately, I believe that such negativity is hindering the creativity on the forum. (A perfect example is the negativity towards color-matched fender flares on Saharas- I've read dozens of pages with members battering Sahara-drivers, pushing them to paint their flares black... There's just a bit of a "cookie-cutter" attitude around here)
Unread 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
aaron580
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Interesting. Sliders would make sense to me as well. One thing I've never understood is why jeep or somebody never made quick detach latches for the hard tops so the rear window could be removed and provide the same wind flow as a soft top without the rear window. Would be a great feature on this top. I'd buy one if I could easily remove all windows.
aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
RATBASTIRD
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron580 View Post
Interesting. Sliders would make sense to me as well. One thing I've never understood is why jeep or somebody never made quick detach latches for the hard tops so the rear window could be removed and provide the same wind flow as a soft top without the rear window. Would be a great feature on this top. I'd buy one if I could easily remove all windows.
Exactly!

I kept my hardtop on for a number of reasons and one of them is because of the kids in tow.
It would be a great option to pop out the side windows or crack them open for airflow.
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
PartyMarty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBASTIRD View Post

Exactly!

I kept my hardtop on for a number of reasons and one of them is because of the kids in tow.
It would be a great option to pop out the side windows or crack them open for airflow.
I would love it if they were like caravans rear windows and easily removed. Never bashed product and was very interested in product just seems kinda weird how they open = not for me . But removable windows huge plus.
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
Michel347

Quote:
I would love it if they were like caravans rear windows and easily removed.
This, it would be so great !!! I never understood why they were not made like this.
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
RATBASTIRD
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel347 View Post
This, it would be so great !!! I never understood why they were not made like this.
I do support this 100% but the fact is that Jeeps were made to be topless.

Its suprising that companies sell aftermarket sunroofs for hard tops but none of the above mentioned mods.
Another option would be double hung windows like a school bus.
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
aaron580
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If somebody can find me a good lj hard top for a decent price I'll work on some quick detach mounts...
aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
PartyMarty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron580 View Post
If somebody can find me a good lj hard top for a decent price I'll work on some quick detach mounts...
Good luck LJ hardtops getting slim from what I've heard

Tags
hardtop , tj , windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.