hardtop painting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > hardtop painting

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
electricalidiot
1999 TJ Wrangler 

hardtop painting

can i repaint the hardtop on my tj or will it give me reaction issues?
has anyone done it and are there any pics as i am thinkig body color.

electricalidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I painted mine white and the reactions I got we're all positive. The top can be any color you want just use some good paint and spray can or gun it's your choice.

Took me a few hours to prep but well worth it.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
electricalidiot
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ok cool i was thinking of white to but my tj is turqoise so everyone says no to white but i like the idea.
electricalidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
skip44
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have done mine twice, the first time with spray cans, lasted about 5 years and had a few streaks due to the metallic. This time with a spray gun with much better results. I scrubbed it with a 3m pad and a lot of water, rinse with water, prep with a good wax and grease remover then mask and spray. For paint I used Rustoleum enamel thinned with mineral spirits. For color I mixed gloss black and aluminum for a dark charcoal metallic to match the Columbia Edition flares. You can do this for less than $20, mix colors and don't have to use expensive automotive urethanes, which I hate due to the smell and health risks. Good luck and paint away, remember, it's just paint, if you don't like it, do it again.
skip44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalidiot View Post
ok cool i was thinking of white to but my tj is turqoise so everyone says no to white but i like the idea.
Wonder how a light tan color would look?

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Taguilar
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I painted mine in my garage last year. I was really happy with the results. I scrubbed mine down with 3M pads, washed it several times, then taped it off. I picked up an inexpensive pneumatic spray gun at harbor frieght that worked real well. Last I picked up a small can of paint at my local car paint store. The code was 68060405AA (Jet Black). I also picked up some clear coat and decided on the Satin style clear coat. After I was done, it looked great! It might of cost a bit more than rattle cans but Im sure its gonna last a whole lot longer!
Taguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a write up I book marked a while back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pa...te-up-1184417/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.