Hardtop Insulation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Hardtop Insulation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
chodge40

Hardtop Insulation

Looking for something cheap to insulate the Hardtop with than spending $500 on insul-lining. Any ideas? Thanks

chodge40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you looking for sound or to keep it warm? Probably both i assume.You could use that Dynomat stuff, but its really expensive. When i was roofing we used a product called " Grace " Just like Dynomat. But for like $100 you could get a 4'x8' sheet. That would help with the sound aspect of it. But am not sure about keeping it warmer.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

the foam insulating sheets are very cheap. do some cutting and get some spray adhesive, paint one side and install.

what kind of jeep? both TJ's and YJ that i have owned have had sick heaters, cab was warm in minutes, even with a soft top
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go with foam. Flip your top upside down so you can work in it.

Get a nice pair of scissors (I dropped $75 on a pair)
Clean your top with soap and water, remove all the hardware
Cut your foam. In the corners cut a 45* angle and the two pieces will overlap. Cut them equally down the middle. It should make a pretty good seam, now tape both sides. Once you are done with it spray your top with adhesive and kind of roll it on. I went front to back. Since the area above the cockpit is pretty much square it provided a good place to start.
Let the foam bond with the adhesive for a day.

Go get some thin black carpet and apply it over the foam using the methods above.

Take you 3-4 days to do it right. Not including scissors I spent about $150 and that includes two rolls of tint.

Picture to show because I did something similar.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow...that looks great. Hows it handle sound? Heat is of no issue as my heater is almost too much.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
chodge40

That's does look awesome but not wanting to spend a lot on money and time. Heater is ok but takes a bit to warm . Not to worried about sound... Thanks for the input
chodge40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Simple solution. Don't bother.
I drive around with the window cracked even when it's 30 below.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.