Hard Top or Soft Top? Half Doors or Full? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
clueless1

Hard Top or Soft Top? Half Doors or Full?

So I want to get a Wrangler to replace the feeling I used to get when riding my motorcycle. That would mean no doors or top at all when possible. I live near Chicago so doors and windows are preferred for winter. As my user name clearly states, I am completely out of my depth here. I have a bunch of other questions but I thought I would start there. I'm just looking at a basic Wrangler package.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

jeep will never equal motorcycle, but doorless and topless will be the closest. That said, for chicago winter you'll want doors and a hard top. If you get doors and a hard top, you can always take off both for the summer. If it's your only transportation, you may want to consider a soft top and soft doors for the summer (so they're easy to drop). It's kind of hard to determine what you may actually like/do, but...
post #3 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM
02apextj

Meet in the middle and get hard doors and a soft top. Half doors are okay when they are off but when it's cold they blow and you don't wanna mess with plastic when it's real cold outside my back window just snapped

post #4 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
clueless1

Thanks for the replies. Is there a down and dirty soft top and half door kit I can use when I travel? I would only need it for rain.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM
AgileHumor

Order half doors (hard) and add retrofit sliders to the uppers to not deal with zipping.

Ymmv, I'm in Socal now...but bought my first Jeep after selling my Harley when I lived in NJ for the same reason you did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
clueless1

So you're suggesting a soft top with hard half doors and retrofit the windows to the sliders?

I guess then in summer put the zip windows back in and only use those on rain days? My goal is mostly to have the top down or off in summer. Soft windows for every season but winter?

That might work.
post #7 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
clueless1

Apex, how does the back window snap or crack. What the heck causes that?
post #8 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Options are good. I have a hardtop, hard doors, soft top and full soft doors, and I use them all in all combinations. In the summer, my favorite is half soft doors and full canopy without windows.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless1 View Post
Apex, how does the back window snap or crack. What the heck causes that?
Cold plastic is stiff and brittle. It doesn't like to bend or roll.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 09:14 PM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have always hated a full softop. Noisy, pita to take down and put up...all the zippers... For me it is a hardtop that I made a hoist for, and a bikini for when I remove my hardtop. I would actually rather have a safari instead of the bikini, but I'm dealing with it for now.
post #11 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 09:38 PM
DirtKar
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you buying a new Jeep and ordering to suit? If that's the case I'd get full doors and a hardtop. You can remove them and put a safari top on in the summer and still have a capable winter ride. I have a hard top, soft top and safari, full and half doors as well. Stick around long enough and you'll start hoarding parts too for just the right combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #12 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 PM
AgileHumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
I have always hated a full softop. Noisy, pita to take down and put up...all the zippers... For me it is a hardtop that I made a hoist for, and a bikini for when I remove my hardtop. I would actually rather have a safari instead of the bikini, but I'm dealing with it for now.
Have you tried a new late model JK soft top? Very quiet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #13 of 38 Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 PM
AgileHumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless1 View Post
So you're suggesting a soft top with hard half doors and retrofit the windows to the sliders?

I guess then in summer put the zip windows back in and only use those on rain days? My goal is mostly to have the top down or off in summer. Soft windows for every season but winter?

That might work.
You have to mod your zip windows with retrofit inserts...so you'll need to buy another set ($400) if you want a second sey.

It takes 10 seconds to go from half doors with uppers...to half doors without. You can also use the sunrider feature of softtop to reduce need to drop entire softtop on the few nice days in the winter.
post #14 of 38 Old 03-08-2017, 01:14 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's funny you mention "motorcycle feeling". When we first got our wrangler, I totally removed the soft top and full doors, and door surrounds.

Seemed loads of fun until we get on the highway going 60. Seeing that asphalt road surface flying by just inches away, gave me and my wife the hebe-jebees, as we've never been motorcycle people. We both made the same comment, and couldn't hold on tight enough. Also anything on the inside had to be nailed down to keep it from flying out.

We've since got half doors and a safari top which we like better. Living here in Texas, it's stays this way year round.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #15 of 38 Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
clueless1

I appreciate all the responses. I can say the additional information you have all provided has given me a lot to think about. A LOT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.