Hard top leasing question. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Hard top leasing question.

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
jdeere_man
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to start with a somewhat neutral opinion here on the basis I may not know everything.

You leased a jeep with a hard top. Yes you would need to return the hard top.

If they also threw in a soft top, it's probably on the lease and you would need to return it too. Now if the soft top was indeed an extra free perk (gift of sorts as you describe) that is the one thing you might be able to keep if it wasn't written up on the lease. Now would I try to keep it, no.

jdeere_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

return it with both tops and all 5 tires, including the spare, the jack, etc.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
return it with both tops and all 5 tires, including the spare, the jack, etc.

To the OP, you caught me after a glass of whiskey (or two) so you get the unfiltered version:

Way to come off like a ******.

Back to the topic, I can pretty much guarantee the dealership didn't "give" you anything for free. Dealerships (or anything for that matter) aren't in the business of giving away things for free. They wouldn't be in business long. Don't be naive, IE: Stupid.

Return everything you were "given." Regardless of whether the salesman did the paperwork correctly you morally are obligated to turn in everything they gave you when you signed the lease. Don't try and find some loophole to squeeze through to keep a top (regardless of whether its the soft or hard top) to sell and try and make up some of the cash you threw away on a lease vehicle.

The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.
I agree. And I think I just found a sig quote.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
JCro99
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
i agree. And i think i just found a sig quote.
+1

'05 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi
JCro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker310 View Post
For all you ASSH#les who are judging me, maybe you misunderstood. They threw in the soft top as a gift. I don't give a sh$t which one goes back. I just was asking does it matter. I don't use the hardtop and didn't want to have to put it back before I turn it in. I'm not tryint to steal anything.
You didn't buy the Jeep, you're leasing it. There is no "gift" anywhere in that.

Call us what you want, but all it does is shows what type of person you really are.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Why would you want to keep a top for a Jeep you don't have? Every JK I see has a hard top on it so there is no shortage so no one will want to buy it.
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
fmdualexhaust
2012 JK Wrangler 

His name should be NYcity. Gives the rest of us a bad name.
fmdualexhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #24
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Why would you want to keep a top for a Jeep you don't have? Every JK I see has a hard top on it so there is no shortage so no one will want to buy it.
X2
You shouldnt ever get another Jeep eithier. We are not theives on here and we do not try to get stuff we arent entitled too to sell. Which you would obviously do since there would be no other use for a top. If everyone was like you the dealer wouldnt have worked with you and thrown in a soft top because the dealer would know its not coming back. Return the Jeep the way you got it. I am willing to bet if the roles were reversed and you were the dealer and someone was trying to pull that on you YOU would cry bloody murder and call them a theif and every other name in the book.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
pendragon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Eh I don't think he is coming back folks. Thing is this guy is 41 and should know better, His next vehicle should be a pair of Nikes! What a tool!
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, he's not a thief. Just lazy.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
nyorker310

Wow what a bunch of Jerks. I didn't STEAL anything. As a matter of fact the dealer was a complete liar and told me all these things to get me to lease the jeep that weren't true. All car dealers are thieves who will say anything to get a sale. I just wanted to keep one of them as I am getting another jeep and then won't have to buy or bargain for another one.
nyorker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker310 View Post
I'm not tryint to steal anything...I just wanted to keep one of them as I am getting another jeep and then won't have to buy or bargain for another one.
orly!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://dictionary.reference.com

steal
    verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing,
verb (used with object)

1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force.

2. to appropriate without right or acknowledgment.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia.com
The actus reus of theft is usually defined as an unauthorized taking, keeping or using of another's property which must be accompanied by a mens rea of dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use.

For example, if nyorker310 goes to a Jeep dealer and, purposely or mistakenly, takes the hardtop or the soft top when returning the Jeep at the end of the lease term, he has physically deprived the dealer of the use of the property (which is the actus reus) but the mistake prevents nyorker310 from forming the mens rea (i.e., because he believes that he is the owner, he is not dishonest and does not intend to deprive the "owner" of it) so no crime has been committed at this point. But if he realizes the mistake when he reads replies to his JF thread and could return both tops to the dealer, he will steal the top if he dishonestly keeps it (see theft by finding). Note that there may be civil liability for the torts of trespass to chattels or conversion in either eventuality.
(obviously, I paraphrased)
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #29
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker310
Wow what a bunch of Jerks. I didn't STEAL anything. As a matter of fact the dealer was a complete liar and told me all these things to get me to lease the jeep that weren't true. All car dealers are thieves who will say anything to get a sale. I just wanted to keep one of them as I am getting another jeep and then won't have to buy or bargain for another one.
This derp fountain draws from a deep well. x2 on giving the already none too stellar reputation of Angelinos one more kick in the marbles. Stay classy, you mouthbreather.
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #30
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Suggestion.... when you take the Jeep back in, trade for an H2.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.