JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Hard Top Bolt Thread Size (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/hard-top-bolt-thread-size-1545594/)

RalphTomaccio 07-06-2013 09:24 AM

Hard Top Bolt Thread Size

Can anyone tell me what size thread the bolts that hold the hard top to the body are? Is the size metric?

I wanted to get a set of the quick release type like those sold at Quadratech but am having a hard time believing they couldn't be found for a lot less than $35.00. In searching around in just a few minutes on the internet, I see many listed for $2 - $3 each and they come in many variations.

jjvw 07-06-2013 08:09 PM

I believe they are M8's. However, there is nothing special about the factory nuts/bolts. Anything from the hardware store that fits and does what you need it to do will work. Many people have switched the factory bolts for eyebolts. Both for no-tools-required removal as well as for a bunch of tie downs around the tub.

edit:
Just saw that you have a JK. Not sure if the sizes changed or not, but I would hope the new hardtops are similar in design to the TJ. If so, then my advice still stands.

RalphTomaccio 07-06-2013 08:50 PM

Thanks!

A few on different forums came back with M8 x 1.25 after having already done mods. Now I can make a serious search for the exact item. I have seen many varieties but, without the correct size, could not tell if it was an option.

Again, thanks for your help. You saved me a trip to HD. I'll post my findings in case others would like some options to the Torx screws.

jjvw 07-06-2013 09:08 PM

Do JK hardtops have square nuts like TJs do? (stop laughing!:o:mad:) If they do, and a nut and bolt is all that holds the top onto the body, then you are needlessly limiting yourself by trying to match the OEM hardware. If you want OEM hardware, get OEM hardware. Otherwise just go to the hardware store and buy something that fits in the hole. The Jeep doesn't care.

RalphTomaccio 07-06-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjvw (Post 15648661)
Do JK hardtops have square nuts like TJs do? (stop laughing!:o:mad:) If they do, and a nut and bolt is all that holds the top onto the body, then you are needlessly limiting yourself by trying to match the OEM hardware. If you want OEM hardware, get OEM hardware. Otherwise just go to the hardware store and buy something that fits in the hole.

I don't want OEM hardware. As mentioned in my original post, I want to replace the T40 Torx Screws with something similar to the Quadratec quick release type. To do that I need/wanted to know the thread size. I now have that info and can search as planned. But, thanks for your thoughts.

RalphTomaccio 07-08-2013 06:32 PM

I found these at Cool Tech for a good price - $20.00 - and am pretty certain this is the route I'm going:

Cool Tech LLC. Hardtop Quick Disconnect T-Bolts

The time now is 11:33 AM.