Got some cash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Got some cash

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
stewa070

Got some cash

Getting $13k next month. We need a second vehicle and we want a jeep. I'd like to make a down payment on something. I just don't know what a decent downpayment would need to be for the various options out there. We've got two boys. A 3 year old and 1.5 year old with car seats. I don't know if that automatically means a JK, and I've been out of the jeep game so long I don't know if a 2 door unlimited will work over a 4 door.

Any help would be appreciated on recommendations. It's not going to be the primary kid hauler.

stewa070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa070 View Post
Getting $13k next month. We need a second vehicle and we want a jeep. I'd like to make a down payment on something. I just don't know what a decent downpayment would need to be for the various options out there. We've got two boys. A 3 year old and 1.5 year old with car seats. I don't know if that automatically means a JK, and I've been out of the jeep game so long I don't know if a 2 door unlimited will work over a 4 door.

Any help would be appreciated on recommendations. It's not going to be the primary kid hauler.
Well I have a two door TJ, and I personally like that aspect of it, since I rarely have passengers (especially more than one), so the back seat never really gets used.

If I had a family, and young kids, Id probably look into the four door model, simply for the ease of it.

I guess the biggest question is; is this going to be a primary vehicle in time, or a secondary? Because as a secondary, it wont be too big of a deal to load up the kids every once in a while.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
stewa070

It will be my daily driver, while my wife is a stay at home mom. We'll be using it most likely tooling around on the weekends.
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would say Cherokee first. Pay it off with the 13k and have a ton of extra cash for upgrades.

If you really want a "jeep", then a jku, would be next on the list. I would stick with the four door. Kids will only get bigger and the extra doors would be worth it.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
stewa070

You can't easily take the top off the Cherokees!
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very sorry about that I didn't read the part in your post where it says you want to take the top off. Really really sorry I was a complete idiot for mentioning the Cherokee since you specifically asked for the Cherokee to be left out of the possibilities of family oriented jeeps. Won't happen again... I will disembowel myself now.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
stewa070

Yeah you're right I didn't mention taking tops off. Apologize for causing you to hurt yourself.
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Kids that small will fit in a TJ/JK now, but not forever.

Whichever you do (2/4 door) I'd definitely go Unlimited... and I wouldn't go into debt for a toy.

Whatever you buy, make sure you can pay cash.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Mantis212
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep's aren't exactly known for their fuel economy or the luxuries of a family vehicle but the newer 4dr JK's (as previously mentioned) would be the best if you are looking to get into one for that use....as far your your DP that would depend on what you are looking at paying monthly, total cost of what you are looking at, rates, length of loan, etc. Just remember to
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

13k$ is more than plenty for a down payment.

Spend $75-$100 and go rent a JK 4 door Unlimited for the weekend, I bet you will find it the best investment ever. Or even a 2 door. Put the family in and go for a ride.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.